Why Do People Use Religion to Hide Bigotry?

It’s easy to call him a pussy when you’re part of the majority.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]forlife wrote:
It’s disappointing to see people I normally like and respect using a derogatory slur to describe gays, regardless of whether or not they happen to be religious.

I thought you might get upset.

I’m sorry. I meant it as a sarcastic joke and I stated so afterward.

It was certainly not meant in any sort of seriousness.

[/quote]

No problem, to be honest I wouldn’t have said anything if it had come from most of the other people on this site.

[quote]fattymcfatso wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

Well I have been with my wife for ten years, I guess I better not tell her or my two kids that I am a fag. This is exactly what I am talking about. Why is it socially accepable to hate gay people, and atheists but no other groups? I’ll tell you why: Religion.
[/quote]

Well hell, how were we supposed to know that…

And bullshit. Hatred is against our religion. You’re all wound up about a specter that doesn’t exist.
Well you do live in Westboro country, but I tell you you are more Christian than they are. It’s a greater sin to beleive do evil in the name of God than it is to not believe in God.[/quote]

Sorry you are just wrong. How many Christians are in the closet? How many atheists are? I can promise you neither you nor I know, but I am guessing there are way more atheist’s hiding how they really feel than Christians.Why do you think that is? It is very socially acceptable to wear a cross, (which I have never understood by the way(why not just wear a guilotine, or a friking machine gun around your neck))
[/quote]

Maybe because they tend to be pussies and lack the conviction to stand up for what they believe in which would at least garner some respect from the religious.

A significant number of the ones that do stand up for themselves act like complete boners by either ranting about religious conspiracy theories or make accusations at theists such as making threads titled “why do religious people hide behind bigotry”, rather than seek a rational discussion on the topic, which in turn elicits negative responses from the religious, which is why atheists are generally held in low regard, opposed to people from smaller religions who as a general rule are well accepted.

[quote]forlife wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]forlife wrote:
It’s disappointing to see people I normally like and respect using a derogatory slur to describe gays, regardless of whether or not they happen to be religious.

I thought you might get upset.

I’m sorry. I meant it as a sarcastic joke and I stated so afterward.

It was certainly not meant in any sort of seriousness.

[/quote]

No problem, to be honest I wouldn’t have said anything if it had come from most of the other people on this site.
[/quote]

Okay, thanks.

[quote]Jfbalabama wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

Well I have been with my wife for ten years, I guess I better not tell her or my two kids that I am a fag. This is exactly what I am talking about. Why is it socially accepable to hate gay people, and atheists but no other groups? I’ll tell you why: Religion.
[/quote]

And bullshit. Hatred is against our religion. You’re all wound up about a specter that doesn’t exist.
Well you do live in Westboro country, but I tell you you are more Christian than they are. It’s a greater sin to beleive do evil in the name of God than it is to not believe in God.[/quote]

Sorry you are just wrong. How many Christians are in the closet? How many atheists are? I can promise you neither you nor I know, but I am guessing there are way more atheist’s hiding how they really feel than Christians.Why do you think that is? It is very socially acceptable to wear a cross, (which I have never understood by the way(why not just wear a guilotine, or a friking machine gun around your neck))
[/quote]

Maybe because they tend to be pussies and lack the conviction to stand up for what they believe in which would at least garner some respect from the religious.

A significant number of the ones that do stand up for themselves act like complete boners by either ranting about religious conspiracy theories or make accusations at theists such as making threads titled “why do religious people hide behind bigotry”, rather than seek a rational discussion on the topic, which in turn elicits negative responses from the religious, which is why atheists are generally held in low regard, opposed to people from smaller religions who as a general rule are well accepted.[/quote]

If I am standing up for what I belive in why was the first comment on this thread telling me I am a pussy? Is that what I am doing right now “standing up for myself”? There is no room for rationality with any person who believes in any religion.

I don’t understand any religious people.

Is it well accepted by anyone of you that 2+2=17?
Please answer this.

There is no room for rationality with any person who believes in any religion.
[/quote]

Well, at least you’re open minded. I tell you T Nation has the wackiest bunch of atheists that I’ve ever seen. I keep telling my wife how nutty you guys are but she still refuses to read.

LMAO!

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Well, at least you’re open minded. I tell you T Nation has the wackiest bunch of atheists that I’ve ever seen. I keep telling my wife how nutty you guys are but she still refuses to read.

LMAO![/quote]
Yeah I have to agree about the atheists. I really don’t care for the atheists that are offended by religion. What is the bases for being offended if you don’t believe in anything?

[quote]pat wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I don’t know where you live, but people around here pretty much don’t give a fuck. And I have seen people where machine guns necklaces with their ‘Affliction’ shirts, a lame attempt to grow stubble and jeans hanging off of their peckers.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I don’t know where you live, but people around here pretty much don’t give a fuck. And I have seen people where machine guns necklaces with their ‘Affliction’ shirts, a lame attempt to grow stubble and jeans hanging off of their peckers.[/quote]

Maybe he should start a church for atheists because it sounds like he is envious of the christian community aspect.

[quote]Jfbalabama wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

A significant number of the ones that do stand up for themselves act like complete boners by either ranting about religious conspiracy theories or make accusations at theists such as making threads titled “why do religious people hide behind bigotry”, rather than seek a rational discussion on the topic, which in turn elicits negative responses from the religious, which is why atheists are generally held in low regard, opposed to people from smaller religions who as a general rule are well accepted.[/quote]

If I am standing up for what I belive in why was the first comment on this thread telling me I am a pussy? Is that what I am doing right now “standing up for myself”? There is no room for rationality with any person who believes in any religion.

I don’t understand any religious people.[/quote]

Do all atheists lack a sense of humor or just you? geez. Lighten up.

You did come out right and bash religious people as automatically accusing them as being hate filled bigots. So if anybody came out with guns a-blazin’ it was you.

[quote]TigerTime wrote:
It’s easy to call him a pussy when you’re part of the majority.[/quote]

What color skirt do you squat in?

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

What color skirt do you squat in?[/quote]

Wahahaha…Pat that one practically knocked me off my chair — Stop really…you’re causing a ruckus in my office.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

Are you saying it’s just as easy to be vocal about your beliefs while in the minority?

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]TigerTime wrote:

Are you saying it’s just as easy to be vocal about your beliefs while in the minority? [/quote]

Hey there Tiger, I recall you telling me in yet another religious thread that you have not even read the Bible. But yet you feel empowered to criticize what you have not even read.

Now how do you square that one junior?

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

LMAO![/quote]

Incase you did not read the 2+2=17 comment. My point is Being open minded about facts is silly. If you need to open minded about religion the concepts can not be factual.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[/quote]

LMAO![/quote]

Incase you did not read the 2+2=17 comment. My point is Being open minded about facts is silly. If you need to open minded about religion the concepts can not be factual.[/quote]

And you know for a fact that Jesus Christ did not live on this earth? Tell me what is your background and training that gives you the authority to tell us fact from fantasy? Same old hate lines? You gotta have more than that…I hope.

[quote]forlife wrote:

In other parts of the less civilized world, we call our friends “fag”, “faggot”, and “cunt” as terms of endearment.

A - “Oi cunt, pass me a beer”
B - “Piss off faggot, get your own stubbie” (while throwing a beer to A)
A - “Cheers cunt”

And no, I’m not kidding, this is how we talk.

I think you are smart, there is an old saying never discuss politics or religion , there are reasons for sayings like that , besides it is none of their business what you think :slight_smile:

Is it well accepted by anyone of you that 2+2=17?
Please answer this.[/quote]

Challenge accepted!

If I add two 3.25 degree angles to two 5.25 degree angles, I get an angle equal to 17 total degrees.

My turn (and so you can understand, I’ll avoid religion):
A bear walks ten feet, turns exactly 90 degrees to the right, walks ten feet, turns another 90 degrees to the right, walks a final ten feet and ends up back where he started. What color is he?

Too easy? Given that I just showed you that 2 angles + 2 angles = 17 degrees, prove that a circle is exactly 360 degrees.

Still too easy? If pi is an irrational (unable to be reduced to a fraction) number then why is it defined by the ratio C/d?

How about an older/easier one? Prove the existence of zero.