Why Do People Think They Can Fight?

[quote]ASNAC wrote:
In order to get out of this bad habit of dropping and grappling, I am going to start Krav Maga at a place that just went up down the street. My pastor loves it as he started nearly a year ago and said it broke a lot of bad fighting habits he developed as a young man.
[/quote]

Your pastor?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
ASNAC wrote:
I “trained” in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu several years ago for roughly 4 months. I absolutely enjoyed the workout I got from it. I realized, however, that in a real fight on the streets or anywhere else that this stuff could get ME killed.

Even when I wrestle with the guys in the Youth group I help out in, the first thing I do in grapple someone and take them to the ground. BAD mistake if you have no clue what to do IF you can’t get them in the choke hold or triangle.

In order to get out of this bad habit of dropping and grappling, I am going to start Krav Maga at a place that just went up down the street. My pastor loves it as he started nearly a year ago and said it broke a lot of bad fighting habits he developed as a young man.

BTW: For all you guys that are into BJ-J, it is my own fault not the particular style since it was only four months worth of training.

Why not get them to the floor and continue with striking from there.

I understand you trained in X or Y, but you don’t need to use it 100 percent. Just use it to the point where you are in an advantageous position and then you can switch to strikes or try to run.

If i take a guy down, i’m not gonna try to put him in a headlock or armbar, i’m going to try to punch/elbow the hell out of him and then run.[/quote]

I would if I happened to find myself in a real fight, not tumbling around with friends.

[quote]elano wrote:
ASNAC wrote:

Your pastor?[/quote]

Yeah, my pastor and the youth pastor I work with. We actually had a class at our church for a few Sundays for ladies self- defence. And we had one for the young men to beat the crap out of stuff.

When Theodore Roosevelt taught Sunday school for a time, a boy showed up one Sunday with a black eye. He admitted he had been fighting and on a Sunday too. He told the future president that a bigger boy had been pinching his sister, and so he fought him.

TR told him that he had done perfectly right and gave him a dollar. The stodgy vestrymen thought this was a bit much, and so they let their exuberant Sunday school teacher go. What a loss.

As a Sunday School teacher myself, I encourage this type of robustness amongst the boys.

[photo]18364[/photo]

Asnac, good thing you guys are doing

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Because they are really delusional and they haven’t been humbled. Or they are very insecure and the are trying to compensate for their insecurity.

The most dangerous fighters are the ones who don’t feel the need to talk a bunch of hard ass shit in order to build up their confidence. ie Anderson Silva, he is a destroyer but he doesn’t talk any shit. Why? Because he isn’t trying to compensate for insecurity.

It has been my experience that the people who talk how they are going to use specific techniques in a fight and each one is more killer than the last are insecure kids who can’t back up their mouth.

People who think they are just going to be able to freak out and thrash their way through a trained fighter is another delusion. Going wild on someone who knows what they are doing will just get you into trouble. [/quote]

Agree 100%. I see it all the time. See it in kickboxing and I actually see it more in the new guys in BJJ. You see it most from completely untrained people, if a guy has even had one month of highschool wrestling he pretty much knows he will be humbled in the beginning.

No one likes to think they will be completely dominated.

I hate lads who think they can fight yet are feeble/fat!..boxing is not only about strength but it’s about alertness, fitness and even rhythm.

I LOVE it when some big hard lad heads into boxing because he has had a few fights and battered the lad and think he is going to be the ‘big dick’ about the boxing club but then he is sick before the end of the 3 rounds!

Not only can I fight when I’m drunk, but I become good looking to :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]ASNAC wrote:
blazindave wrote:
ASNAC wrote:
I “trained” in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu several years ago for roughly 4 months. I absolutely enjoyed the workout I got from it. I realized, however, that in a real fight on the streets or anywhere else that this stuff could get ME killed.

Even when I wrestle with the guys in the Youth group I help out in, the first thing I do in grapple someone and take them to the ground. BAD mistake if you have no clue what to do IF you can’t get them in the choke hold or triangle.

BTW: For all you guys that are into BJ-J, it is my own fault not the particular style since it was only four months worth of training.

Why not get them to the floor and continue with striking from there.

I understand you trained in X or Y, but you don’t need to use it 100 percent. Just use it to the point where you are in an advantageous position and then you can switch to strikes or try to run.

If i take a guy down, i’m not gonna try to put him in a headlock or armbar, i’m going to try to punch/elbow the hell out of him and then run.

I would if I happened to find myself in a real fight, not tumbling around with friends.
[/quote]

I was mostly alluding to the first paragraph. The part “it can get me killed”.

Oh…lol

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
Not only can I fight when I’m drunk, but I become good looking to :P[/quote]

heh, I become good looking when women around me drink :smiley:

At my college me and a few friends get together every wednesday to do some light sparring/pad work/rolling during our afternoon break. We all cross train except for one guy who’s only into JJ and we’re having fun, working safely.

In my classes there’s this clown, you probably know one of those guys yourself: something feels wrong about his face, he’s 5’8, 140 pounds more or less lean and only wears puma clothes. According to him he excels at everything yet doesn’t know shit about any sport. Everytime me and my buddy mention mma or anything related to fighting he goes on about how he fucked 2 200 pounders once in a street fight or about how good he was when he trained muay thai in some gym that nobody’s ever heard about.

We keep asking him to come train with us on wednesdays but he “doesn’t have time and wouldn’t want to overtrain cuz he’s got soccer tonight”.

I hate him with a passion

Very cool thread.

We’d all like to think that whatever martial art we do would suddenly become instinctive in a fight situation - I hope that happens too. But the fact is I have no idea what would happen if I got into a fight! With the adrenaline pumping and anger rising, who knows. I’ve never really been in a ‘real’ fight, but I’d like to think I could use what skill and techniques I have picked up and put it to good use.

As for the big guys thinking they are the dog’s just because they have big guns…

K.E = 1/2 m v(squared)

So a combination of both will do you right for a punch!

In America you can be a badass until you
come across some weasel with a pistol.I think it’s best to train hard and then go
home to your girl.Leave that streetfightin’
to idiots.(and don’t get me started about
taking the gun Yoda)that crap is movie
drama,no future in it.The only place
for street demons gentlemen, is prison.

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
All analogies aside I realized something…

I don’t want to sound like I’m mr. top shelf fighter badass… but I can handle myself quite a bit better than most guys and I’m an above average athlete… but this goes for most of you who have trained more than a few years…

Outside of getting the jump on me. There’s little to nothing an untrained guy (somewhere within my size) can do to prevent me from whooping his ass… and I mean beating them to death if I choose to.

Lets just consider hand to hand combat and leave out weapons (for now) because thats another ball game…

Think about being a blue belt or so, and a new guy comes into your bjj school and rolls with you… easy as FUCK to tool him isn’t it?

Extrapolate that further… outside of getting the jump on you and given the chance to match their aggression anyone with some training can DESTROY the average guy.

The reason a person who’s seen actual combat (i mean war type combat) has a ‘jump’ on someone normally is because they go from 0-kill not 0-ass kicking. Very different response. If a more trained person were given that opportunity they’d still have a higher success rate.

Moving along…

The average person has no finesse or skill. Watch countless fights on YouTube (not matches, but fights between normal people) and you’ll see it’s nothing like the movies - there is no technique, just basic wild swinging and grappling.

There’s a fairly popular fight with a guy who gets confronted by two guys while he’s with his girlfriend. He simply throws STRAIGHT PUNCHES and destroy’s these guys. There’s another where a guy handles about 6 guys doing the same thing…

If you watch one of the kimbo fights an mma fighter (think he trains at ATT now) goes against a guy like with ~40lbs on him and does way better than you’d expect considering various factors (“chill dog” rule, restarts, only boxing, etc)

the human animal is not designed to use ‘moves’ or ‘techniques’, but to use adrenaline and strength to flail away and batter an opponent into submission. It went something like that, anyway. That quote haunts me because it seems true in many cases, seeing how people fight.

When god was giving out “weapons” the lion took the claws, teeth, speed, and power… the shark took some badass senses and huge ass chompers… Man was last in line and picked up the big mushy thing that goes in his head… he figured he got the raw deal.

couple million years later we run this motherfucker.

Man was designed to use his brain to take advantage of the weakness of the human structure. Exploit the weaknesses of the joints, the blood & air flow to the brain, and to use that same body to create massive amounts of concussive force… That’s what happens when you learn to fight RIGHT.

Let your opponent fight like an idiot… animals do have technique. National geoographic shows lions teaching hunting techniques to their young all the time… They have the natural instincts and tools to do this shit.

So do we…and we have to learn just as they do.

Sure I’ll fight like an animal… a fucking trained lethal ass lion with an infinite combination of tools to utilize and a body that is capable of going further than your comprehension of speed, power, and endurance.

THAT is the human animal

Awesome.

The thing that wins a fight, I believe, is tapping into this pure animal rage, combined with a COMMITMENT to take your target down without fear of damaging him, PLUS the ability to keep your head; to control and use that rage without losing technique.

It’s when you attack like a hungry panther on Benzedrine, with a combination of speed and power, that you do not lose the fight. Every part of your body becomes a weapon; every attack winds you up for another attack. You move and flex from every angle, using every limb in combinations of coordinated, fast and explosive strikes.

Not everyone can tap into that or control it, but the ones who do are the deadliest fighters. You have to forget all the rules of combat sports in a street situation and do whatever it takes to neutralize the threat and survive.[/quote]

not really the whole pure animal rage thing doesn’t work when your really pissed you just feel tough if you go with a calm technical guy who can box you just get picked apart. Being angry is literally the worst thing in the world to be when you fight it zaps all of your energy and “animal anger” while keeping technique is just controlled agression while calm which is of course good.

Lots of people who haven’t trained much think of this animal rage and stuff it only works in movies like the person gets mad and can suddenly fight it also makes you feel much better because you can’t feel pain ect I’ve done that when boxing I would get super mad and think I was kicking ass when it turned out I was just getting counter punched like 10 times but was to mad to notice and then would lose all of my energy real fast.

When you are in the zone or flow you feel total calm while being very aggressive. (look at fedor super calm expression while being ultra aggressive that is the ideal in street or in mma boxing etc.

Why do people think they can fight?
It doesn’t matter.
Through years of training, I have realised that its not how well YOU or OTHERS, Think they know, or DO actually know, how to fight, its a matter of how well you are able to defend yourself in any situation. Its not about the X amount of training or Y amount of experience that YOU or OTHERS have, in order to ‘Fight’ ‘Smash’ ‘Break’ or ‘Destroy’ the Average Joe/skilled fighter. It should be the training and experience gained, to give you the chance to DEFEND yourself from any sort of harm they or anything else may possess. Even a slight submission of: “I’m very sorry.” and walk away, can defend you (considering they arn’t majorly aggressive/raged).

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Your entire post was genius. I’ll just speak to this point since I have some experience.

I used to get into a lot of fights. I was also a trained boxer. There is not shit anyone can do. I would drop guys 50+ pounds bigger than me. People think they’ll just rush in. But a good boxer will just pick you apart.

(Which is why I hate the BJJ blue belts who think they can beat boxers. Um… You gotta get the takedown first, and most BJJ guys have shit takedowns.)

Somehow who has had a year of striking and grappling would just fucking almost anyone they encountered on the street.

Guys who compete and thus have their adrenaline in check (I puked/dry heaved myself half to death before and after my first grappling match) would so make a mockery of war vets and just about anyone else.

People who don’t train seriously literally have no comprehension of basic shit:

• I will fucking leg kick you with my steel shins. One leg kick is going to most likely break your femur. If you’re lucky, it will just drop you and make you look like a fool. (In fact, if I got into a fight, I would just use a leg kick due to legal considerations).

• If you try to take my down, I will sprawl so hard into you that your face will be on the concrete - that’s if I don’t decide to knee you in the face instead.

• If you somehow take me down, I’ll be up and while you’re still scrambling, I’ll chute box stomp kick your face. Or I’ll take mount and spit on your face/make you look like the biggest fool in front of all of your friends.

• If I decide to punch you, it will be with technique and power. You will get dropped with one or two punches.

And I say this as someone who is not even an elite fighter. What an elite fighter (pro boxer, UFC guy) would do to the average street killer is horrible to even think about. It would be by grace that the attacker would even survive.

These are things that non-trained guys do not understand. Basic things like, “I already know, before we fight, what I will do. I have hard shins. I get punched hard 3 times a week, so my body is ready. I have dozens of Plan Bs. You are running on aggression and emotion. I am running on technique and precision. It won’t even be close.”

In a sense, it’s impossible to have these discussions with anyone who does not actually train. If you train, you “get it,” and don’t need to be told. If you don’t train, you don’t get it and never will.[/quote]

Bull Shit

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
cyruseven75 wrote:
yeah boss the fight or flight thing is a hindrance in games like golf and billiards. recognize the variable, regulate and move on with it; a degree of adrenaline is good, too much and you go to shit. adrenaline in fighting can get you good results and/or it could get you knocked the fuck out. my goal in bjj is to stay calm, it’s probably easier in bjj knowing elbows are not coming.

Relaxation and technique applies the same in striking. The looks on some of the guy’s faces who mostly just roll,but still take the striking classes…is just priceless when they are asked to spar. They never do. Mind you,these are also the guys who voice to our coach that they want to fight in the cage.[/quote]

or don’t understand there is a reason to throw combos, or that if you leave an opening you are probably trying to get them to do something,

Yes it is funny, i recall working with someone while one of the strictly bjj guys was critiquing me and commented cuz I dropped my left and said if you did that to me I would knock you out, so I let him try.

but i would say it is peoples lack of experience that causes them to say certain things,

There are certain fighters that I would like to fight just because as I watch them move I think I could handle what they have, but will get called crazy for it, then there are guys that aren’t considered all that great that when I watch I would not want to fight them. because they have weapons I don’t feel at this time I could counter.

But usually people are just talking,

I love fighting. :slight_smile:

Wanna see the average joe(s) vs a pro boxer?

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f7/turkish-boxer-knocks-out-4-dudes-attacking-him-753914/

[quote]Omega_12 wrote:
Bull Shit
[/quote]

x2

CaliLaw, the true professional fighter I know doesn’t say anything like you do. There is no need to talk of a big game or anything like that, he doesn’t because he backs it up in the ring. Pretty easy huh? shrug