Why Do People Quit?

I am a full time student. I get up at 6:30 every morning and leave my house around 7:30 for school. I then go immediately to work and get home around 8:30. I do this Monday-Thursday, Fridays I get home at 5. Sunday I spend studying for all my classes, (actually studying, not hitting on the girl next door) and Saturday is spent working as a bike mechanic from 8am until 6pm.

I don’t have time to go to a gym, there is one close to my house, but it has more treadmills then anything else. I couldn’t even find a dumbell over 40 pounds. Time is hard to find in my schedual. So I went online, spent $3 on a used pullup bar, $17 on an EZ grip curl bar and $50 on 100lb of plates. I then asked a bunch of people I know if they had extra plates I could borrow and I ended up trading a used bike that I have lying around for an extra 150lb.

I am 16, and I really wanted to lift. I spend about 2 hours a week weight lifting, and two or three sessions of jump rope. I don’t have fancy equipment, and I don’t have a Huge Hard Lean body. But its a work in progress, and progress is better then being stagnant. Are we really alone in this world?

People have SOOOOO much more time then me and they don’t do shit. Its not that fucking hard guys. Can anyone help me understand why people choose not to go that extra mile? Is it a lack of heart or drive?

P.S. Yes I do only compound movements (deadlifts, squats, cleans) with an EZ curl bar, I don’t have space for an olympic sized bar.

Do not ask why other people suck. You can obviously see what works to achieve success.

Other people who are not achieving what you consider success are not doing what you are doing.

Simple? :slight_smile:

But who care about those people? They might be focusing on finding a cure for cancer.

Cheers,
Spry.

i don’t care when others quit

it’s when the quitters try to convince me that what i’m doing is worthless, that’s when i get annoyed

Newsflash… not everyone finds great value in being strong/muscular. I wouldn’t appreciate it if a marathon runner came up to me and ask me why I don’t jog everywhere, or if an English major asked me why I don’t spend my free time writing books. Just live your life and let other people live theirs.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
I am a full time student. I get up at 6:30 every morning and leave my house around 7:30 for school. I then go immediately to work and get home around 8:30. I do this Monday-Thursday, Fridays I get home at 5. Sunday I spend studying for all my classes, (actually studying, not hitting on the girl next door) and Saturday is spent working as a bike mechanic from 8am until 6pm.

I don’t have time to go to a gym, there is one close to my house, but it has more treadmills then anything else. I couldn’t even find a dumbell over 40 pounds. Time is hard to find in my schedual. So I went online, spent $3 on a used pullup bar, $17 on an EZ grip curl bar and $50 on 100lb of plates. I then asked a bunch of people I know if they had extra plates I could borrow and I ended up trading a used bike that I have lying around for an extra 150lb.

I am 16, and I really wanted to lift. I spend about 2 hours a week weight lifting, and two or three sessions of jump rope. I don’t have fancy equipment, and I don’t have a Huge Hard Lean body. But its a work in progress, and progress is better then being stagnant. Are we really alone in this world?

People have SOOOOO much more time then me and they don’t do shit. Its not that fucking hard guys. Can anyone help me understand why people choose not to go that extra mile? Is it a lack of heart or drive?

P.S. Yes I do only compound movements (deadlifts, squats, cleans) with an EZ curl bar, I don’t have space for an olympic sized bar.[/quote]

Why do people who have such drive and heart bitch about people who quit? Just shut up, be ambitious, and leave us quitters alone.

To attempt an answer at a reasonable question:

-Deaths, breakups, injuries, etc
-School/work consuming too much time
-Stress from a shitty marriage
-Not seeing gains/losses

I have seen these in my experience, at least.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Why do people who have such drive and heart bitch about people who quit? Just shut up, be ambitious, and leave us quitters alone.[/quote]

dude your avatar is amazing.

that was it…

wait, you changed it again.

You only have the right to preach about this if you’ve been training for 5+ years.

Shit I thought this was about Quilting…Dammit!

Why do people start threads pretending to ask a question just so they can brag to random people on the internet? Seriously, this like the 100th “Hey everybody, look how awesome I am” thread I’ve read this week. Lame.

Keep it to yourself and seek attention elsewhere. Preferably not on any other sites that I’m on.

Man, I wish I could go back to 16 when I had life all figured out.

It was awesome.

takes you full day to study for highschool wow then again i rarely went and did my homework so i wouldnt really now how long it takes.

I wish i could go back bc i crashed my girl on the way for a bootie call when i was 16 instead got my ass beat by parents

I hope you’re not doing Cleans with your hands on the cambered part of the bar.

Put your hands out so they’re on the straight parts closet to the sleeves.

It looks like all you have is 275 pounds and a bar you can’t really do many exercises with. I remember doing Deadlifts with 275. Trust me, it gets hard.

People much bigger and stronger than me will also tell you that injuries pile up, that progress isn’t always as simple as adding more weight to the bar, etc.

If you want to get serious about lifting weights, and you work at a bike shop then why don’t you try to get a job at the gym near your house that has “Mostly Treadmills.”

If they have a 7 foot olympic barbell and 500 pounds of plates that’s a lot better than your current situation. Even if they don’t have Benches or Squat Racks all you need is the Bar for Military Presses, Floor Presses, Hack Squats, Deads, Cleans, Snatches, Curls, SkullCrushers, ETC.

Do you really only have room for an EZ Curl Bar? AustinBicep has enough room in his Bedroom for an Adjustable Bench, a Barbell, Olympic Weights, and Dumbbells that apparently go up to 85. Do you have a Garage? A Yard? A Tool Shed?

Sorry, but I wouldn’t bet on someone equipped with only a Curl Bar to be sticking to the iron for a while.

Oh, and if you are a full time student USE YOUR SCHOOLS FUCKING GYM!

You call yourself an academic…lolz

your life isn’t nearly as hard as you think it is and you do not study for a whole day.I’m getting high honors (senior) and barely study an hour a week.

[quote]Styfus wrote:
Why do people start threads pretending to ask a question just so they can brag to random people on the internet? Seriously, this like the 100th “Hey everybody, look how awesome I am” thread I’ve read this week. Lame.

Keep it to yourself and seek attention elsewhere. Preferably not on any other sites that I’m on.

[/quote]

December of 2002 and only 19 posts? How’d you do it?

The most common reason I have seen is guys getting girlfriends and then not worrying about the gym anymore. Vice versa as well.

Things change when you move out of your parents house. Only those who make iron a priority in their lives will stay with it. There are so many other things out there to devote time to that very few people who work out in high school will remain working out afterwards; seriously, anyway.

I used to get frustrated when people said “you’re only a teenager, you haven’t experienced anything yet”, dismissing my opinions. They were right, I was wrong. And I’m sure I still haven’t experienced anything yet. Life can get more stressful than you can imagine. At this point it’s not like you don’t literally have time, but your mind is drained so much you just can’t get your shit together. It takes alot of strength to keep training through that.

Then there’s people with a completely different set of goals. You can’t blame them for not following something that they’re not passionate about. I lift because it’s who I am. Other people follow what defines them.

I suggest you aim your focus towards your own goals. If you concentrate on the negative aspects of those around you it will only hold you back.

I’m lazy. That’s pretty much it.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Styfus wrote:

December of 2002 and only 19 posts? How’d you do it?[/quote]

Probably by not answering this.

This isn’t an ego thread, I’m no trying to boost my self confidence. If I needed that I would just go to Rate My Physique. (joke)