Why Do People Lie About Their Accomplishments Within the Gym?

I wouldn’t just judge if it was a random person but since I’ve known these people all my life the bullshit detector doesn’t have safety on lol

I have a feeling some long term noob who has read very old Westside articles will try to call you out by saying, “Bullshit! The bench is all triceps!”

1 Like

Lol I knew they were hacks.

I’m not sure why they ripped off Satriani. He’s not exactly an obscure artiste. I’ve not heard this song as I’ve not been following his later stuff but I know most of his fans are the type who will analyse every note in his songs.

1 Like

I think some of them lie to themselves.

I know a guy who “squats” 495 for 12. Mind you his squats consist of him un-racking the weight and kind of wiggling his legs about an inch 12 times.

3 Likes

Only have one I think in my gym. I’ve known him for years, did a season of US football in my team, was a pussy. In the gym talks way more than lifts. Well he benches 2 horrible half reps at 90kg, then 1 assisted horrible half rep at 100kg and the following hour tells every one that comes to the gym that he benched 100. Then he’ll act all coachy with everyone, telling them to do DB press this way because the muscle fibers are aligned this way (???)

1 Like

I avoid talking lifting and nutrition with anyone, it makes me cringe every time. Changing the subject is much less painfull.

7 Likes

Now I remember…

I worked with a guy for about a week once that told me he squatted 1400 lbs when he was 15.

Yes, he was claiming a 1 4 0 0 l b squat…

I didn’t smile and nod, and after a few questions the pounds came off of his squat pretty quick…it ended at “im not sure what it was, my friends put the weight on the bar but it was a lot”

Lol ok dude

This is no different than exaggerating in other areas of life (like others have said)…my sister was saying the grass in her yard grew 6” a week, my dad took care of that one with a “no it doesn’t, don’t say that”

1 Like

I’ve heard a few people claim their leg press numbers as squat numbers. That’s a fun one.

2 Likes

I like to low-ball it when people ask me about lifting.

Them - so how much you bench?
Me - I dunno, like 80k for 6.
Them - well I can bench 90k for 5.
Me - No shit, 90k for 5? That’s really good, bro.

Let them have their pointless little moment. Like Flip says - they’re trying to impress you so just think of it like that.

8 Likes

Also, this shit is in NO WAY limited to the gym. People lie all the god damn time about stuff and it kinda bums me out.

Like, I knew this dude who would come out with just the most out-there stuff imaginable. Apparently one time Seal (yes - the dude who sang Kiss From A Rose) knocked on the door of his farm because his car had broken down outside and he needed to use the phone. The really sad thing was I heard him tell the same story but this time the guys knocking on the door were The Pretenders.

Another dude I used to work with was notorious for trying to pass off scenes from movies as his actual life, but was even worse because he used to describe scenes from really well known movies! At one point he tried to pass off a scene from Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels as something that had happened to some friends of his. It was the biggest British movie of the 90s! Everyone in the UK has scene that movie.

It’s just a bit sad, really, and makes me wonder about the general happiness of these people; their lives must really suck if they have to make up interesting shit to talk about. Imagine your life was so uninteresting that you wanted to make up a fantasy existence for yourself to try and impress people.

If I bump into a mate of mine I haven’t seen for a while and they ask me what I’ve been up to, if I’ve had nothing going on then I just say that! There’s no shame in it. I don’t come out with something like “Aw bro it’s been crazy! I got abducted by this alien spaceship and it took me to this planet fucking miles away, but because of time dilation when I came back it was like ten years in the future and none of my family could recognise me. I eventually managed to get the ship to take me back to my own time but, dude, it was pretty fucking dicey, I tell you.”

(Flight Of The Navigator in case anyone’s struggling to work that out)

3 Likes

Wow that’s so cool. All I did was build a particle accelerator in my basement. Oh and my best friend somehow turned into Don Cheadle.

1 Like

Huh, I built a flux capacitor and my buddy, Marty, took it for a spin right after I got shot by LIbyan terrorists…that was a weird day

3 Likes

I seeded a life supporting planet with DNA by drinking a potion that caused me to dissolve and melt into a water fall as an engineering project.

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool but let me tell you about the time I had to go steal an F16 with Chappy so I could save my dad from terrorists. Luckily they had a runway right there so it all worked out.

2 Likes

Pffft, I’ve seen a chick with three tits while I was on Mars.

7 Likes

Well while I was in Tibet I learned how to manipulate spacetime and open portals into other dimensions!

3 Likes

You did? Damn I was busy leading an SJW protest because they Whitewashed The Wise One!

2 Likes

Well see that? If you had just accepted the heteronormative power structure as it stands, you could be a master of spacetime like me.

No sparkly portals for you!

2 Likes

This is how I percieve those people.

1 Like

People always ask me… How much do you leg press? Like 1rm, I don’t get why people are so fixated on it, maybe it is because you can do less range of motion and shit loads of weight then pass it off as a rep, I had a guy about 9stone wet through tell me he leg presses 250kg (which yeah is possible) but this dude made Joseph Goebbels look big.