Why Do People Lie About Their Accomplishments Within the Gym?

Funnily enough the 120kgx10 bench dude showed me a photo of him tensing his bicep with a pump on and he looked about 120lbs keep in mind the guy is like 5ft 7" and I said that to him and he has since deleted the photo lol.

People have ALWAYS done this. I honestly don’t even speak numbers anymore unless it’s a fellow competitor. So many guys will claim the 400 bench press. I, too, claim “around 400”, if prodded. Here’s the difference: their 400 was likely a once in a lifetime effort… God knows how loose the form… who knows how much of a spot…and probably never even actually happened.

Meanwhile I’ll claim the same “around 400” out of indifference. I’ve done it, and more, for reps in the gym, in powerlifting meets, etc. Even though I quit barbell benching years ago due to shoulder issues, I occasionally do it for a couple of weeks to see if I can still hit 4. Which is usually done with no lift-off, pause, etc. I’ve been able to hit it for about 20 years now, and it’s really a lift of almost zero importance to me anymore.

But… in casual conversation… my “max” is the same as the guy claiming 400… who MIGHT have done it once in his life, and me, for 20 years (among my other more important lifting). But the number is the same. Once you realize how useless this type of conversation is, you do everything you can to avoid these conversations (unless it’s a peer, i.e. real lifter/competitor).

1 Like

I wonder, how often do people do this with their own coach?

I’ve had a guy bum off a cigarette from me at a cafe once. Then he sat down and told me he was once making millions running a drug ring on a beach in Thailand. After that, he went back to mopping the floor.

3 Likes

This is what is going to piss me off as a Personal Trainer (Currently becoming one), A lad I had to train on my course said his 1RM was 90kg for bench, I knew it wasn’t so I said, we will warm up with a 20kg/45lb plate either side so 135lb, 4 reps and he was finished.

The thing is though if he injured himself I could have been in the shit.

1 Like

The cocaine was in the mob bucket, it diffuses through the floor he was mopping into the secret basement of the building where pablo escobar and tupac reside.

3 Likes

I can’t tell if you are telling a story about a guy lying about being a druglord or lying about a guy telling you a story about being a druglord.

4 Likes

What makes you think I thought he was lying?

4 Likes

I used to care about this sort of thing. but I hear it so much that there’s really no reason to call people out. I don’t want to strike up an argument with every stranger I meet. It’s not enjoyable.

The most egregious lie I think I came across was this dude I went to High School with. He tried to play professional baseball, but really never even sniffed the big leagues. Then he got into rugby, and decided he’s a super badass at that. Anyway, he told me he squatted 585x6, could have done more but didn’t want to risk it, at a bodweight under 200. At a claimed 4% bodyfat. Of course he also said he can’t do that anymore, but he used to be that strong. I prodded him a little to make sure it wasn’t a typo, and he went on to say that he just wanted to feel something close to 600. I actually pulled up the message on facebook so I could make sure I got the details exactly right, lol. This was back in 2014, and at the time I’d never squatted more than 405. But even then, I knew I was stronger than he’d ever been. So for reference, Jesse Norris, arguably the best pound for pound lifter of all time, just posted a top set at 585 on instagram. And he got 5 reps. So my friend was essentially claiming to be stronger than that guy.

I did not call him out, but I did share the story in a private group of lifters on facebook. they lol’ed.

But yea. I just don’t enjoy calling people out. If someone wants to compare himself to me because they know I lift or whatever, good for them. No skin off my back, I can’t worry about what other people tell themselves, or what they can or can’t do vs what they say.

6 Likes

Some of the bullshit I’ve heard is so far beyond the realm of possible that you know the person has no real experience. If they did, they’d at least cook up a plausible lie.

3 Likes

I realized it’s the way to go tbh, If I call anyone out they aren’t exactly going to turn around and say “Ok I was just kidding” they always stick by it to the death so when someone lies I just know they have that type of character.

I think the next time my buddy says 120kgx10 bench I will just ask him, “How many plates is that?” I guarantee he would not be able to tell me.

1 Like

thats kind of harsh lol. Don’t be so hard on people. If someone exaggerates a lifting claim to you, just think of it as a compliment to you, because they’re obviously just trying to impress you. Is it a character flaw? Maybe. I’m sure you have plenty too. Do you want other people judging you as ‘having that type of character’ based on 1 thing you say?

3 Likes

Since you’re such a hUUge U2 fan, I bet you love Coldplay, and this is your favorite song of all time:

1 Like

So here’s the thing; people exaggerate stories ALL the time. Without fail. You very rarely get an objective story. Most times, people are the hero of their story. It CAN be based in truth, but always exaggerated for the sake of impact. Someone might have whispered a quip to someone under their breath, but when they retell the story, they blasted a comeback at someone and the whole room laughed. Someone may have had a decent burger at some local place, but they retell it and it DEFINITELY would’ve been their last meal if they were on death row because it was the most delicious thing ever.

These exaggerations are somewhat difficult to detect, because they’re subjective. When it comes to lifting, it’s much easier, because it’s objective. 100lbs is lighter than 200lbs, and when I exaggerate my accomplishments, I’m just adding numbers onto numbers.

I suppose what I’m getting at is that exaggerating about lifting isn’t something unique about lifting. All the people you meet are exaggerating details about their stories, and you (and I) are guilty as well. It’s just less obvious if numbers aren’t involved.

4 Likes

I think we all owe it to ourselves to return any over the top bullshit.

For example, this year I’ve been asked three times how many reps can I hit with 200kg on a bench? Like 200kg is nothing.

My promise to tnation is the next time this hapoens to answer with something equally absurd. “200kg x 20 for 5 sets. I never train heavy because I lost my pecs in the war, so not sure what I could actually do”

I would love to see what “the friend from high school” who invariably follows up whatever answer you give could do.

3 Likes

Every once in a while my bullshit detector misfires…

I was talking lifting with a guy at work who someone told me used to be a weightlifter. I assumed Olympic, but it turns out he was a bodybuilder. We talked lifting for a bit and got to 5/3/1 and he said he was a big proponent of going heavy for reps. I’m looking at this guy thinking heavy might have meant 225 or something on a squat set. Then he showed me competition pictures, which were super impressive (and about 20 years old).

Heavy was more like 405 for sets of 10+. He was the real deal back in his day for sure!

3 Likes

I didn’t even know that song was by Coldplay lol. At the time “Yellow” was released I just wrote them off J-pop influenced hacks.

I meant trait and I don’t mean I completely avoid them I jusg switch off until they finish their monologue lmao.

Haha might try that one :joy: