T Nation

Why Do People Lie About Their Accomplishments Within the Gym?

It seems like whenever the gym is mentioned in a conversation, the person I’m talking to of which all of these predicaments have been with people I’ve known for years and seen on a regular basis…

A pal of mine started saying “When I was big” so I said “You’re your biggest now you’re 9 stone with a belly” Then he started saying, I didn’t see him for that period of time and he could bench press 120kg for 10 reps at like 15/16 years old so I said “Why don’t you start again and you will gain it back fast” every time I ask him (Been asking him for about a year now) when he is starting the gym he says “soon” lol.

Another buddy was asking me what I do and I was explaining 5/3/1 to him and he goes, “nope that isn’t how you do it, I did bl Back and Bi’s, Chest and Tris, Shoulders and Abs and Legs, I did it this way and I was 13st 8lb shredded at 14 and the 1st time I incline pressed, I pressed 120kg”

I’m honestly seeing a theme of 120 here so I think they must be looking at lbs rather than KG as we use in the UK, I know this might look like I am slagging people off but I am wondering if anyone else has had similar situations.

Boil this topic down even more to “why do people lie” and you get a better answer.

Because people are pretty silly.

Too much ego + young males in particular are often absolutely desperate to prove, in anyway possible how tough they are!

When I was a part time dive bar bouncer I’d talk to yoostalifters almost every night. If you enjoy conversations with people who are completely full of shit on a broad spectrum of topics, get a job at a bar.

I always take it as a compliment when someone says “I used to be like you”… and then tells me how they were 5’-9" / 250lbs shredded, back in the day. (btw, I’m not 5’-9"/250 shredded).

They only feel the need to say this shit cause you’re making an impression on them.

If you truly think they’re lying, just do what I do and just tell them they’re lying, it usually makes things interesting real quick.

It’s a weird impulsive thing to lie. I’m always like “I’ve got a 12” cock", but deep down I know it’s only 10".

Wait, what were we talking about…?

So, you can tell the length when it’s deep down? Interesting.

Dude, you are replying to a VERY sarcastic post.

Honestly mate people in the UK get really defensive when you call them out… I called one out for it and he still says he was 13 stone and bench pressed 120kg for 10 reps (This is someone I see all the time)

Oh, I couldn’t even tell what the heck he was saying towards the end :joy:

Haha I’d end up calling them out and having a drunk mob of people chasing me

I took tren and my cock was 10" before but now it is only 3"

But them gainz, brah!

It was worth the sacrifice, No women want me after I have no hair

I doubt it’s the lack of hair…

Not really I’m as strong as some of the grown men in my gym but I would like to be stronger.

If my nob is 3" think about my dick to ball ratio

Nah, just nah…

It doesn’t matter what country you’re in, people get defensive when you call them out wherever you are.

But that’s how we get to the bottom of it while having some fun!