Why Do People Get Goosebumps

I’d like to know…if there is anyone out there that gets goosebumps when they really feel strongly about something. It is a strange phenomenon to me, that when I feel something inside…that my physical body responds the way it does. With goosebumps shooting all over my body. For me, it happens most when I hear music that I love. It seems to be tied into music for me… However, sometimes when I just see things that are human and moving, I break out everywhere in goosebumps. It happens from music mostly as I mentioned, also from movies and definitely from reading.

Some call it gooseflesh, whatever, …it doesn’t matter. It has got to be some emotional manifestation that crosses over to physical. Why does it happen? Don’t say because it happens roll the bones, that’s a cop out. Why does my skin break out in goosebumps when I am moved. Even though I don’t know why, I still live for it, it’s the best feeling ever. I love the goosebumps. I love everyone who gives them to me. They make me feel alive. Alive I am. I think I might live to give them to you. I think I’m capable.

cause they get cold…

I get them when listening to a very specific song. I usually crank it up on my last squat/deadlift, and then when my hand grips the bar my skin just starts crawling…

I like it. I like it alot.

The cause of goosebumps is styrofoam.

I think it has to do with the endocrine system. Someone correct me because I’m not 100% sure.

I get them a lot when I’m in a high-pressure situation such as a close game in hockey, all the time in OT and sometimes in the 3rd. Also when girls kiss my neck. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Why do people get goosebumps?

Let me get you alone and I’ll demonstrate.

That’s the Holy Spirit taking possession of your soul.

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:
I’d like to know…if there is anyone out there that gets goosebumps when they really feel strongly about something. It is a strange phenomenon to me, that when I feel something inside…that my physical body responds the way it does. With goosebumps shooting all over my body. For me, it happens most when I hear music that I love. It seems to be tied into music for me… However, sometimes when I just see things that are human and moving, I break out everywhere in goosebumps. It happens from music mostly as I mentioned, also from movies and definitely from reading.

Some call it gooseflesh, whatever, …it doesn’t matter. It has got to be some emotional manifestation that crosses over to physical. Why does it happen? Don’t say because it happens roll the bones, that’s a cop out. Why does my skin break out in goosebumps when I am moved. Even though I don’t know why, I still live for it, it’s the best feeling ever. I love the goosebumps. I love everyone who gives them to me. They make me feel alive. Alive I am. I think I might live to give them to you. I think I’m capable. [/quote]

Maybe certain positive emotions release a hormone that makes the skin become more sensitive; like some sort of heightened awareness.

Maybe it serves some biological purpose. Maybe it’s just a trick of the mind. I get them quite frequently and I have no explanation for it. Whatever it is it feels good whenever it happens.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
cause they get cold…[/quote]

lol

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
cause they get cold…

lol[/quote]

Did you lol at your own response?

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
cause they get cold…

lol

[/quote]

haha, maybe Live forgot he wrote that response.

[quote]Molotov_Coktease wrote:

Some call it gooseflesh, whatever, …it doesn’t matter. It has got to be some emotional manifestation that crosses over to physical. Why does it happen? Don’t say because it happens roll the bones, that’s a cop out. Why does my skin break out in goosebumps when I am moved. Even though I don’t know why, I still live for it, it’s the best feeling ever. I love the goosebumps. I love everyone who gives them to me. They make me feel alive. Alive I am. I think I might live to give them to you. I think I’m capable. [/quote]

Possibly, it’s due to an excited central nervous system.

I love feeling them on my head.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
cause they get cold…

lol

[/quote]

Lmfao! I believe that he did. That actually made me start laughing, god I hope people don’t think Im crazy now…

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
Sick Rick wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
cause they get cold…

lol

Lmfao! I believe that he did. That actually made me start laughing, god I hope people don’t think Im crazy now…[/quote]

I lold too after imagining him coming home drunk one day and posting on T-Nation, falling asleep, and being amused by his own comments the next morning.

It’s a sympathetic nervous system response, part of the fight or flight system. One theory I have heard is that it is an evolutionary relic from when we were completely covered in bodyhair.

When a predator approached, our sympathetic nervous system would gear us up to either run or fight. The “goosebump” response would make our hair stand on end, making us look more intimidating and hopefully making the predator think twice. Sorta like when a porcupine raises its quills in defense.

[quote]engerland66 wrote:
It’s a sympathetic nervous system response, part of the fight or flight system. One theory I have heard is that it is an evolutionary relic from when we were completely covered in bodyhair.

When a predator approached, our sympathetic nervous system would gear us up to either run or fight. The “goosebump” response would make our hair stand on end, making us look more intimidating and hopefully making the predator think twice. Sorta like when a porcupine raises its quills in defense.[/quote]

Aren’t we still completely covered in body hair? Just a shitload less of it?

I haven’t gotten goosebumps in awhile though, so I dont remember if my hair stood up.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
engerland66 wrote:

When a predator approached, our sympathetic nervous system would gear us up to either run or fight. The “goosebump” response would make our hair stand on end, making us look more intimidating and hopefully making the predator think twice. Sorta like when a porcupine raises its quills in defense.

Aren’t we still completely covered in body hair? Just a shitload less of it?

I haven’t gotten goosebumps in awhile though, so I dont remember if my hair stood up.[/quote]

Yeah we are, I meant neanderthal-esque body hair.

[quote]engerland66 wrote:
Yeah we are, I meant neanderthal-esque body hair.
[/quote]

Alright, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Btw, I guess this has to do with goosebumps but if not then --OFF TOPIC–

But how did Neanderthal’s and other earlier “hominds?” deal with their hair growing longer. That would fuck up any attempt at getting it up and trying to make yourself look bigger. (LOL!)

I get them all the time. Reading about college football, kissing my neck, a good flirtation, a good nibble - I am absolutely always covered in em. I hate that I can’t control it.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I get them all the time. Reading about college football, kissing my neck, a good flirtation, a good nibble - I am absolutely always covered in em. I hate that I can’t control it.[/quote]