Why Do Men Lift

[quote]laxcdn wrote:
I think a lot of guys lift for different reasons, but one of them is to try and impress other guys. I think they want to walk around and have other guys say damn I wish I was that big or for intimidation.

Over the last couple years talking to lots of women at work, they almost all tell me they don’t want a guy who is big or really ripped. They want someone who they can put their arms around and has some softness to them and they can get their arms around. That is why most women like Brad Pitt, Ryan Reynolds,etc they are fit and not really big.

I lift because I like doing it, makes me feel better about myself and keeps me from getting hurt while playing hockey, lacrosse, boxing, etc[/quote]

I had a geometry teacher who claimed she wanted a soft man. She was extremely overweight and simply not fuckable by any means. Therefore, I could care less what she finds attractive. How do these women look and is their opinion worth giving a shit about?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
laxcdn wrote:
I think a lot of guys lift for different reasons, but one of them is to try and impress other guys. I think they want to walk around and have other guys say damn I wish I was that big or for intimidation.

Over the last couple years talking to lots of women at work, they almost all tell me they don’t want a guy who is big or really ripped. They want someone who they can put their arms around and has some softness to them and they can get their arms around. That is why most women like Brad Pitt, Ryan Reynolds,etc they are fit and not really big.

I lift because I like doing it, makes me feel better about myself and keeps me from getting hurt while playing hockey, lacrosse, boxing, etc

I had a geometry teacher who claimed she wanted a soft man. She was extremely overweight and simply not fuckable by any means. Therefore, I could care less what she finds attractive. How do these women look and is their opinion worth giving a shit about?[/quote]

They are like the one’s that say size doesn’t matter. One, that is a lie for most women. And two, if they are being sincere, they are just happy to get any dick. (wives are excluded, because they love the man not the size, which is weird).

I had a geometry teacher who claimed she wanted a soft man. She was extremely overweight and simply not fuckable by any means. Therefore, I could care less what she finds attractive. How do these women look and is their opinion worth giving a shit about?[/quote]

Exactly, the only women who desire a man with an average or below-average physique are women who are so self-conscious about their own bodies, for good reason or not, that they’re terrified of seeing themselves next to a leaner, more muscular man.

Who the hell would want to date a woman like that anyway? Find a girl that actually appreciates the work you put in and the results you have to show for it. They are out there…

My parents, my mom especially, helped get me into lifting. They had about 120 lbs worth of that old Bollinger stuff, with the take forever to change a weight threaded bars, and I deadlifted it all. My little brother was proud of me, and I felt good that he told his friends. Fifth grade, man. I used to do bench presses off of my toybox as well.

[quote]laxcdn wrote:

I lift because I like doing it, makes me feel better about myself and keeps me from getting hurt while playing hockey, lacrosse, boxing, etc[/quote]

BULLSHIT!

Neither Brad nor Reynolds look as good as this guy. If this guy was famous, he would blow them out of the water. The best Brad ever looked was at his most bulked up physique in fight club. Another thing don’t equate Brad’s fan club to “women”, use the term “girls” for the 150lber. Women go for a man usually around the 200lb range.

This Brad Pitt fucker is getting on my nerves. I wish he would just bulk up to 200lbs and show how good he really could look. No matter what Brad weighs, because he is handsome & famous… they little kids think this is the ideal physique. It’s not. Maybe for a 13 year old girl it is. But not a woman.

I can think of 20 women right now, that would want to wrap their arms around “The Rock” AKA "Dwayne Johnson before they would ever think twice about a 149lb Brad Pitt. Brad would bad ass at 200lbs. you think he looks good now… he looks like shit compared to what he could look like if he had man size proportions on him.

I had to use this picture twice today.

A MAN

A BOY TOY …AKA “Brad Pitt”

Well everyone has an opinion. I was just stating what some of the women that I know told me. They go to the gym but are not fitness models. It was all based off a conversation with me about me bulking up. I lost 50lbs and they told me not to lose any more, I went from 240-180 @ 6’1". I told them I was bulking up to get over 200. They said they “preferred” guys who were not too big. So the Rock etc fall in that range. There is one guy at work who is around 220 and they said that would be the limit for size they liked.

[quote]laxcdn wrote:
Well everyone has an opinion. I was just stating what some of the women that I know told me. They go to the gym but are not fitness models. It was all based off a conversation with me about me bulking up. I lost 50lbs and they told me not to lose any more, I went from 240-180 @ 6’1". I told them I was bulking up to get over 200. They said they “preferred” guys who were not too big. So the Rock etc fall in that range. There is one guy at work who is around 220 and they said that would be the limit for size they liked.[/quote]

For the most part don’t believe what these women tell you for it will be contradicted soon enough. Also, there are many facets to attraction over all looks, intelligence, success level, humor.

As if only one thing like physical shape is going to determine whether a guy is going to hook up is retarded. If you know how to play the game whether you are 160 or 260 and don’t look like Igor you will hook up. Of course there are always things like money that even the odds even for Igor.

D

[quote]Mavric wrote:
The reason why I am asking this question is because a lot of guys that enjoy lifting weights are often stereotyped for being meat heads trying to look good to score with the ladies. As far as I am concerned there is a little more to it than that, or am I wrong?[/quote]

Man, how can you be wrong if you’ve got a different goal than simply attracting women? The other guy’s goal doesn’t matter. Weightlifting is an intensely personal journey that may be shared with others, but rarely taken with them.

There absolutely are shallow, knuckle-dragging, half-witted meatheads who lift simply to look good for women – and probably utterly miss the point that emaciated and androgynous is the trend of the day. Who cares?

The reason for lifting is a personal thing. The only one who can answer the question is you. For me, it’s because I come from a family of strong people – strong in both body and spirit. I work a job that leaves me very sedentary. Lifting looks after my health, builds my strength, and fortifies my spirit. It forces me to test myself, developing body as well as mind. It gives a better version of me to the people I care about: my wife feels safe when I’m around, and my daughter deserves a strong father. By being the best I can be, I honour those I love.

Even though I’m far from a really big guy, my strength training has twice proven useful in keeping others from harm’s way. Either of those events alone would, to me, justify the hours struggling under merciless iron. Put together, and bound with the other reasons mentioned, it becomes a source of comfort and joy for me. A place of pride.

I’m far from elite, but I’m proud to say that I strive to build myself as a man.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
A BOY TOY …AKA “Brad Pitt”[/quote]

You mean TOY BOY. A Boy Toy is a girl who just wants to have fun. That’s a GOOD thing.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:
A BOY TOY …AKA “Brad Pitt”

You mean TOY BOY. A Boy Toy is a girl who just wants to have fun. That’s a GOOD thing.

[/quote]

No… I meant a “Boy Toy”.

[quote]Northcott wrote:

The reason for lifting is a personal thing. It forces me to test myself, developing body as well as mind. [/quote]

You will find this a part of everyones answer more often than not. This is the reason why they continue to lift. The initial reason has about a million answers:
“I want to get this chic”,
“I’m tired of being a fatass”,
“I am a soccer player and I want stronger legs”,
“I wanna look good nekkid”,
“I want to crush my enemies”,
“I want to be stronger and bigger than anyone I know”,
“I’m a professional athlete and this is part of my training”…
the list could go on forever.

But, more often than not… the journey to keep testing yourself is this underlying reason to keep doing it. Once you accomplish certain things like getting the girl, or having giant biceps and a huge chest, or winning that championship… the desire to keep pushing often remains and becomes a lifestyle.

I lift to make my penis bigger.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
I lift to make my penis bigger.[/quote]

Does that work? Arnold said to hang a 10lb plate from your penis to make it bigger. Must be true. He said it. Has to be true.

Hey Rockscar, did you also know that you can “get big” without ever bulking up or eating big? It takes like 20 years but who cares… you’ll still have a six pack.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Does that work? Arnold said to hang a 10lb plate from your penis to make it bigger. Must be true. He said it. Has to be true.

Hey Rockscar, did you also know that you can “get big” without ever bulking up or eating big? It takes like 20 years but who cares… you’ll still have a six pack.[/quote]

I actually know somebody who claims to have slept with Arnold in the 80’s. She said he has a really small dick.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Hey Rockscar, did you also know that you can “get big” without ever bulking up or eating big? It takes like 20 years but who cares… you’ll still have a six pack.

I actually know somebody who claims to have slept with Arnold in the 80’s. She said he has a really small dick.
[/quote]

Maybe she just has a really massive vagina.

Rockscar wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

Maybe she just has a really massive vagina.[/quote]

She’s lying. She either didn’t sleep with him or what Prof X said.

Actually Arnold looked pretty well hung to me… What? Yeah I said it. You can actually see Arnold’s dong in the movie “The Terminator”… when he’s naked and walking up to those 3 guys with the telescope and steals the ones clothes; his dong is clearly visable and bouncin all over the place. Oh boy, the vcrs and dvd players will be getting used tonight. Can’t believe I just released that information.

Began lifting weights to keep myself safe at work (LE) . Went from 155lbs and was 245lbs at my heaviest.

Now its just an addiction , I couldnt stop if I wanted to . I love having the abitity to change my body however I want and pushing myself furthur and furthur .

Bean

[quote]Northcott wrote:
Mavric wrote:
The reason why I am asking this question is because a lot of guys that enjoy lifting weights are often stereotyped for being meat heads trying to look good to score with the ladies. As far as I am concerned there is a little more to it than that, or am I wrong?

Man, how can you be wrong if you’ve got a different goal than simply attracting women? The other guy’s goal doesn’t matter. Weightlifting is an intensely personal journey that may be shared with others, but rarely taken with them.

There absolutely are shallow, knuckle-dragging, half-witted meatheads who lift simply to look good for women – and probably utterly miss the point that emaciated and androgynous is the trend of the day. Who cares?

The reason for lifting is a personal thing. The only one who can answer the question is you. For me, it’s because I come from a family of strong people – strong in both body and spirit. I work a job that leaves me very sedentary. Lifting looks after my health, builds my strength, and fortifies my spirit. It forces me to test myself, developing body as well as mind. It gives a better version of me to the people I care about: my wife feels safe when I’m around, and my daughter deserves a strong father. By being the best I can be, I honour those I love.

Even though I’m far from a really big guy, my strength training has twice proven useful in keeping others from harm’s way. Either of those events alone would, to me, justify the hours struggling under merciless iron. Put together, and bound with the other reasons mentioned, it becomes a source of comfort and joy for me. A place of pride.

I’m far from elite, but I’m proud to say that I strive to build myself as a man.

[/quote]

yes, good post