Why Do Men Get Married These Days?

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
Divorce negatively impacts both partners financially - but that is because in a fiscally healthy marriage both partners are better off than either will be alone, at least in the short term.
[/quote]

this is the point we are debating… marriage in westernized societies is becoming more and more of a transfer of wealth from males to females (and their new partners).

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Lanky crushed it

/thread.[/quote]

You know, when I wrote it I was pretty proud of it and was specifically hoping to get an /thread comment.

So thanks for that. :)[/quote]

No problem man. Us accountants gotta stick together!

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Then I assert your “meaningful relationships” were not as “meaningful” as the relationship I share with my wife. Hence your lack of comprehension. [/quote]

they were certainly not as meaningful.

however, as I mentioned in the OP, approximately 70% of divorces are initiated by women. I wonder how many good men who ‘found the right woman’ have become blindsided by a divorce when they thought everything was going perfectly.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
Divorce negatively impacts both partners financially - but that is because in a fiscally healthy marriage both partners are better off than either will be alone, at least in the short term.
[/quote]

this is the point we are debating… marriage in westernized societies is becoming more and more of a transfer of wealth from males to females (and their new partners). [/quote]

I don’t believe that is true. I would say (purely opinion here) more and more there is no transfer of wealth (i.e. a fair split) as more and more women enter and excel in the work force. It is no longer a safe assumption that the man of the house is also the breadwinner.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Then I assert your “meaningful relationships” were not as “meaningful” as the relationship I share with my wife. Hence your lack of comprehension. [/quote]

they were certainly not as meaningful.

however, as I mentioned in the OP, approximately 70% of divorces are initiated by women. I wonder how many good men who ‘found the right woman’ have become blindsided by a divorce when they thought everything was going perfectly. [/quote]

I would say if you are “blindsided” by divorce papers while you thought everything was going peachy keen you were in fact a poor husband as a general rule. There is little chance (imo) a husband invested in the relationship would be blindsided by divorce.

Please note I am not siding with wives or giving them a pass. I’m speaking about husbands since I am one.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
[/quote]

this is the point we are debating… marriage in westernized societies is becoming more and more of a transfer of wealth from males to females (and their new partners). [/quote]

I don’t believe that is true. I would say (purely opinion here) more and more there is no transfer of wealth (i.e. a fair split) as more and more women enter and excel in the work force. It is no longer a safe assumption that the man of the house is also the breadwinner. [/quote]

I’ve never heard of a fair split from what I’ve seen first hand and from people I’ve talked to through out my life. Everyone of them were takin to the cleaners by their spouse.

[quote]BUDs wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
[/quote]

I don’t believe that is true. I would say (purely opinion here) more and more there is no transfer of wealth (i.e. a fair split) as more and more women enter and excel in the work force. It is no longer a safe assumption that the man of the house is also the breadwinner. [/quote]

I’ve never heard of a fair split from what I’ve seen first hand and from people I’ve talked to through out my life. Everyone of them were takin to the cleaners by their spouse.
[/quote]

Ya, that happens and not what I was arguing against.

I don’t believe:

“marriage in westernized societies is becoming more and more of a transfer of wealth from males to females.”

I imagine as work force demographics continue to shift so will divorce settlements.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
[/quote]

You’re assuming a wife with no independent income, marketable skills, extended family support or expectation of inheritance. Very few middle class western women are without career training or aspiration. I could count off a half-dozen women in my acquaintanceship who out-earn their spouses.

Women with children who divorce and live solely off child support are experiencing a reduced standard of living, too, obviously, since men are obviously not mandated to pay all of their income to their exes.

I dunno. Look for people to marry who are not lazy sponges?

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

You’re not looking at it from the right angle.

How is the woman’s standing financially PRE-Marriage vs Post-Marriage?

Not during vs Post. This is a much better indicator

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
[/quote]

You’re assuming a wife with no independent income, marketable skills, extended family support or expectation of inheritance. Very few middle class western women are without career training or aspiration. I could count off a half-dozen women in my acquaintanceship who out-earn their spouses.

Women with children who divorce and live solely off child support are experiencing a reduced standard of living, too, obviously, since men are obviously not mandated to pay all of their income to their exes.

I dunno. Look for people to marry who are not lazy sponges? [/quote]

I don’t know the US stats, but 1/3 of Canadian women currently out-earn their spouses.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

See my other post - I bet their SOL is still higher after marriage compared to prior

There was a time when my wife was unemployed (we don’t have kids) while I supporting us financially. She now makes about 150% of what I make and you know what, it’s fucking awesome!

DINKs for life! Or at least a little while longer…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
There was a time when my wife was unemployed (we don’t have kids) while I supporting us financially. She now makes about 150% of what I make and you know what, it’s fucking awesome!

DINKs for life! Or at least a little while longer…[/quote]

So beta…

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

So beta…[/quote]

I know, fuck me right???

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Being a father >>>>> Being a Dink

At this point I kick myself for not starting sooner.

I think the OP should consider switching his sexual orientation to homosexual. Think of the benefits:

No false rape accusations

No crazy bitches stealing your income

Live-in training partner

Free home decor and fashion advice

The only downside is the occasional ass pounding

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Being a father >>>>> Being a Dink

At this point I kick myself for not starting sooner.[/quote]

Ya, I hear ya. We aren’t “trying” at the moment, but we’re trying. If you catch my drift…

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[/quote]

You’re not looking at it from the right angle.

How is the woman’s standing financially PRE-Marriage vs Post-Marriage?

Not during vs Post. This is a much better indicator

[/quote]

How is his? Earnings and asset gains are significant during the 20s and 30s. And?

It’s like all these doomsday scenarios are built around "up-and-coming engineer or such meets and rescues a diner waitress who is the hottest chick at the nightclub - night after night - and who surprisingly turns out NOT to have a big investment in continuing her “career.'”

Alright, so things are not working for you with the opposite sex and you are flipping out. We get it.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

You’re assuming a wife with no independent income, marketable skills, extended family support or expectation of inheritance. [/quote]

it’s an irrefutable fact that it is women, not men, who take leave during pregnancy, and generally quit their jobs to stay home and raise the children… as such, they lose marketability and value in the workplace…typically, when they do return, it’s part-time work so they can still participate in their children’s lives.

this is a pure assumption that is unquantifiable. ill tell you what though, want to guess how many females I met in university who were majoring in psychology/sociology/communications (read ‘bullshit’)? ill just tell you, roughly 85% based on my experience at a private institution.

while they may have ‘aspirations’, they tend to avoid the STEM subjects like the plague, and as a result, find themselves employed as baristas and checkers at grocery stores lol