Why Do Box Squats?

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
Why don’t people just set the bar on the pins, get under it, and stand up? No box required and lower risk of blowing a disk. Plus, you can’t cheat like you can on a box. [/quote]

They do. But it’s called an Anderson or overcoming squat.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
danger-kelly wrote:
Why don’t people just set the bar on the pins, get under it, and stand up? No box required and lower risk of blowing a disk. Plus, you can’t cheat like you can on a box.

range of motion[/quote]

Well, the pins can be set pretty low - not sure what you mean here.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
danger-kelly wrote:
Why don’t people just set the bar on the pins, get under it, and stand up? No box required and lower risk of blowing a disk. Plus, you can’t cheat like you can on a box.

Because lowering the bar under control is an essential part of the lift.

[/quote]

Yes, but you can finish the rep on the pins… what am I missing here?

[quote]danger-kelly wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
danger-kelly wrote:

[/quote]

You cannot ‘relax’ at the bottom position as long as you have no way to support your weight other than contracting muscle, which would be the sole reason you are doing box squats in the first place.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
danger-kelly wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
danger-kelly wrote:

You cannot ‘relax’ at the bottom position as long as you have no way to support your weight other than contracting muscle, which would be the sole reason you are doing box squats in the first place.

[/quote]

yes you can to an extent. The tension produced ny your own bodyweight is much less than that requireed to lift the weight. Just go a bit lower than the bar once the weight is resting on the pins. One trick I use is once the weight is on the pins, I do a bow under the bar and then reset myself to push it up again, if I’m doing reps.

I will agree, though, that overcoming-style squats are NOT as effective as box squats for developing starting strength. Still, they are another tool in the toolbox. Box squats will push your free squat through the roof. Overcoming squats get you to the ceiling…

I think box squats are more versatile than overcoming squats. You can use a low box for starting strength, or a high box for top strength.

The overcoming squat is simply a different exercise, and I primarily use them so I don’t have to emphasize the eccentric so much…just crash down on the pins and then ram it back up to the top, lock out, crash…

One isn’t “better” than the other, although the Anderson squat is almost definitely better from a bodybuilding perspective.