Why Did You Start Working Out?

[quote]Teledin wrote:

[quote]Doyle wrote:
As far as the ladies go, I never lifted weights with that sole purpose in mind but obviously that was something I did think about. Being bigger and stronger definately gave me more confidence and to be honest I had no idea how much diference it would make in how women treat you.
I went out on saturday night and I had three diferent women that I had never met come up to me and squeeze my arms or touch my chest and make a comment about them before they said anything else, does this happen to you guys often? [/quote]
lol oath man.

Even when the girlfriend is standing right next to me.[/quote]

What about when their BF is standing right next to them? lol over christmas I went to the club with some old school friends and while we were eating one asked me “so this is all… real?” Pointing to her shoulders and that. I thought she was just joking cause I’m not huge or anything.
Later that night when she was leaving with her BF she looks at me all shy and asked if she could touch my arms ahhaaha I felt so bad for her boyfriend cause he was really skinny.
Sorry that was a bit off topic

[quote]Doyle wrote:

[quote]Teledin wrote:

[quote]Doyle wrote:
As far as the ladies go, I never lifted weights with that sole purpose in mind but obviously that was something I did think about. Being bigger and stronger definately gave me more confidence and to be honest I had no idea how much diference it would make in how women treat you.
I went out on saturday night and I had three diferent women that I had never met come up to me and squeeze my arms or touch my chest and make a comment about them before they said anything else, does this happen to you guys often? [/quote]
lol oath man.

Even when the girlfriend is standing right next to me.[/quote]

What about when their BF is standing right next to them? lol over christmas I went to the club with some old school friends and while we were eating one asked me “so this is all… real?” Pointing to her shoulders and that. I thought she was just joking cause I’m not huge or anything.
Later that night when she was leaving with her BF she looks at me all shy and asked if she could touch my arms ahhaaha I felt so bad for her boyfriend cause he was really skinny.
Sorry that was a bit off topic[/quote]

Nah never had it when they are with their partners. Nor do I hope it ever happens. I get a lot of dudes hating on me for no reason whatsoever other than the fact they likely are just insecure when they catch their GF looking my way (most likely just out of curiosity). CBF dealing with some hot headed insecure moron trying to prove how ‘manly’ he is, ya know?

Don’t feel bad for the guy though, not your fault that he doesn’t want to put in the time and effort to give her what she likes.

Being tall and skinny with a HUGE penis, it didn’t look right. So I had make my body bigger to match down below.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
high school football[/quote]

but didnt really get ‘serious’ about it until a few years ago. I didnt really love lifting back then… I wish I could go back and start over. I would be way more jacked (not to imply that I am currently jacked)

Because they called me pencil neck and other not-so-nice names when I was 15 and 1.90m tall and 150lbs…

…Because I was chubby, and my best friend was a model, and sub 10% bodyfat all-year-round…

Hated him.

Still do…

[quote]Liv92 wrote:
Being tall and skinny with a HUGE penis, it didn’t look right. So I had make my body bigger to match down below. [/quote]

Dammit, beat me to it

Like the story OP, especially about your dad. My dad’s never been interested in it at all. No doubt it amused him when he saw me as a ten year old building barbels out of old threaded metal bars he left around the garage and milk cartons/stones…ah the memories :slight_smile:

I just had this burning desire to be big and strong (TV superheroes etc…cheesy but true). Spun my wheels many times trying to get on the right track though. I was too embarrassed to workout in public because of my puniness, so it all started at home.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I saw Rocky IV.[/quote]

I saw Rocky 1 and was blown away by Carl Weathers’ upper body and Rocky’s work ethic.

[quote]bwhitwell wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I saw Rocky IV.[/quote]

I saw Rocky 1 and was blown away by Carl Weathers’ upper body and Rocky’s work ethic.[/quote]

Haha Rocky, Rambo, and Arnold movies definately.

Those Rocky montages are so cheesy, but so bad ass at the same time

Being called skinny by like three people in the same week and finally realizing how skinny I was at 5’11" and 130lbs my junior year of highschool.

My junior year in high school I saw a former classmate from eigth grade (different school system) and he was huge! He was always tall and big boned as an eigth grader and was now benching 385 and looking big and cut by the end of his junior year. I thought to myself “I have to get in on this”. I made my share of mistakes along the way but I’ve had a love of training ever since I was 17 because of running into him.

At my university there was a little ad in the daily paper that said students could join the weight room for only $32(Canadian) and that the membership would be good for the remainder of the school year, so until August 31st. It was early January so I joined.
The gym at that time had no Olympic bar and no dumbbells. This was 1992…almost inexcusable for a university to not have those things!
There were fixed barbells that went up to 195lbs and Nautilus stuff.

I still miss that place. It’s the dungeon where I started and that year I went from about 175lbs to 210 on about 8 or 9 months.

Ran into a guy I played rugby with a decade earlier, first thing he says “Wow, you’re so small now-a-days”.

:frowning:

when i was a child my parents introduced my and my bros to sports like swimming,tennis,I was also an avid reader of Marvel comics (my preferred superhero is The Thing,I should still have the edition with the fight between Ben and Hulk:-)and wanted to become Thingish (wider than taller),so at 12ys I asked for a pair of dbs and door-bar for chins and started to “weightlifting”,next year I started to do rowing at very old club in Naples and ABRACADABRA in the club there was a weight-room so I was hooked,next year I joined a gym (in which I remained until 20ys old)and I still remember first time that I benched 160lb for reps or 400lb at red technogym orizzontal legpress…still have training protocols the coaches gave us LOL
20 sets of 10 for lats with 45’ rest,30 for legs,so different from now…

Football in junior high. Stopped after playing small time college ball. Started back up when I got a job with a fitness equipment company. Even though I’m accepting a new job I’m still gonna train.

For me I was always the fat kid that was picked last for sports and made fun of. That stuff didn’t bother me too much because looking back I didn’t really have a clue why I was picked last or anything but even my friends started calling me fat which hurt more than anything else.

So back in sophomore year of highschool my parents bought my brother a lap top for christmas and me a weight set, I know it’s not really very fair but oh well, and that’s when I started lifting. Since then I’ve still been the fat one of my friends but much less so and I’m also a lot stronger than them so it evens out. Oh and I should add that I was the first of my friends to have sex so I still hold it over their heads that the fatty had sex before them so I kind of owe all my success with girls to weight lifting.

Ps sorry for rambling

I have always been into sports. Track and field, basketball, tennis, swimming, you name it, 99% i have done it. When I was 15, i suffered a lateral meniscus tear in my right knee, so my doctor told me to start isometrics and some really light weights. Once I got into the gym, I knew this was my place to be. Loved it. Continued from there, still playing soccer, but half considering dropping it because it leaves me behind on my training :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]ParagonA wrote:
Because they called me pencil neck and other not-so-nice names when I was 15 and 1.90m tall and 150lbs…[/quote]

Same sort of stuff here. I was tiny and got bullied.