Why Did You Pick Your College?

I had a scholarship to an Ivy League school offered to me, but it was turned down for me by my mother. Sweet, sweet family.

I went to Southern Arkansas University. You’ve never heard of it. It’s a decent school with classes ranging from mind-numbingly easy to SNK-Boss hard.

The women were slightly above-average in appearance, but there were enough super-juniors and super-seniors in sororities that various single and group sex sessions were always on tap.

Also had a 6.75-on-a-scale-of-ten female professor. I passed that class.

I absolutely regret not making the best of my academic opportunities there. Yes, I was there against my wishes, and I had to work a full-time job in a town 45 minutes away, and was a primary care-giver for two of my immediate family, but I had the opportunity to do more social activities and develop more lifelong networks than I’ve had before or since.

Spend the four years of your college career meeting people, getting in situations you may regret later, and networking like a sonofabitch. It can be the best time of your life.

hey everyone
reading over all of your posts has given me some better reasons to think about the school i’ll chose. thanks

[quote]Otep wrote:
I chose the University of Texas, Austin because it had excellent academics and was a top school for what I wanted to study (business). It was far enough away from home, without being completely foreign. The women are beautiful, much better than at A&M, and I got a couple of scholarships that sweetened the deal if I stayed in Texas.

So, in order,

1. Excellent academics
  2. Got scholarships
  3. Close, but not too close, to home.
  4. Mmmhhhh… girlz…

No, seriously, that was the order in which I chose. Seriously.

For the OP, I’m having difficulty telling the difference between UAS and UAF. Can you elaborate?
[/quote]

ya the difference is UAS (university of alaska southeast), UAF (university of alaska fairbanks), UAS is down on the panhandle of alaska and UAF is in the interior.

At the time it had been rated the best undergrad university in Canada a few years running.

And, I wanted that damn X-ring damnit

because it’s $92.0 dollars a credit hour.

Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario

1. Great Business Program
  2. Close-knit campus and community
  3. Better than my other options
  4. more girls than guys (big music n arts programs)

worcester polytechnic institute

• good engineering school. a good choice for getting a good undergraduate engineering education.
  • few women. most are not attractive. most suffer from ratio induced bitch syndrome. (i did not know this when i decided to go)

i do regret going because i feel i missed out on the college experience. especially when you visit other schools and the women were pretty and nice.

but i got a good education that cost way too much and wouldn’t have mattered anyway after a few years working. now i’m back in school because i like to learn, and there’s no going back to being a reckless undergrad.

oh to do things differently.

[quote]Otep wrote:
The women are beautiful, much better than at A&M, and I got a couple of scholarships that sweetened the deal if I stayed in Texas.

1. Mmmhhhh… girlz…

[/quote]

I grew up in Austin. Hot chick density is far greater at A&M than t.u. Austin may have more girls, but A&M has Quality over Quantity.

My process for selecting a college wasn’t all that great. I was pretty burned out on school by the end of high school and wasn’t too into it. My old man put some pressure on me and I managed to apply to about six schools, of which I got into four. I received scholarship offers from two.

I visited all the schools, and didn’t like the vibes I got from either Skidmore or Drew University. This left American and Alfred University. Alfred let you have a car as a freshman (key because I hate flying and I hate the clusterfuck of having your parents drive you to school; my siblings went through that and I didn’t want to .) They also offered me a bunch of dough, and two of my close friends ended up going there as well.

Honestly, I’d say I got pretty lucky. Alfred is a crazy place, and I think I learned more about myself there than I would have anywhere else (probably bullshit since I can’t actually compare it objectively, but whatever.)

Anyway, visit some places and go with your gut. That’s all you can do.

It was cheap and close.

Cheap, close, and had what I wanted.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
Otep wrote:
The women are beautiful, much better than at A&M, and I got a couple of scholarships that sweetened the deal if I stayed in Texas.

1. Mmmhhhh… girlz…

I grew up in Austin. Hot chick density is far greater at A&M than t.u. Austin may have more girls, but A&M has Quality over Quantity.[/quote]

x2

Plus in Austin - sometimes you THINK its a female, but… Hey, maybe your in to that, everyone’s got their thing.

Not a issue at A&M

[quote]Cut2Ripped wrote:
So I talked to my mom and pops and asked them what they think. They told me that college is about an experience and it should be fun while bettering my education.
[/quote]

Hehe, I’d listen to your parents. In my case the two things that played the largest factor in my decision were the strength of the program I was looking to go into and the city/town the school was located in. I go to school at the University of Vermont in Burlington (~6 hours from where I grew up), and it has probably been the best decision I’ve ever made. I grew up in New Jersey, so everything is pretty much completely different up here, and I absolutely love it. There’s just something about the people and city that when I visited I immediately knew that this was the school for me. Not to mention hitting up the best skiing on the east coast each weekend during the winter isn’t a bad perk either. This may sound a bit cliche, but I think that college is more about learning about yourself and how you want to live, and what you want to do with your future more than anything else. Sure, classes are extremely important as well, but I think that throwing yourself into a new environment that you like, with new people and new things to do is what it’s all about, and what you will remember the most.

I applied to 2 schools, Carnegie Mellon and Case Western. I got into both, but chose Case because they give merit scholarships, and I qualified for a damn near free ride (tuition wise). It was a good choice.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Louisiana has a program in which if you have the grades and the ACT score they’ll pay for almost all of your tuition and then some if you go to a state school.

All I pay for is living costs.

It was pretty easy to get in and they have a Med School associated with the LSU family of schools. [/quote]

TOPS is the only way I was able to afford college. Just in case there are any other LA folks needing to get they learn on: http://www.osfa.la.gov/