T Nation

Why Companies Aren't Investing and Hiring

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2009/10/why-my-business-has-ceased-investing.html

This is an interesting article about why business owners aren’t investing right now. It goes hand in hand with why we aren’t hiring also. The credit problems aren’t helping either. The times are just too uncertain to roll the dice and add more people with some of the proposals out there right now.

If you combine that uncertainty with the complete lack of faith people have in congress and the administration it spells doom and gloom for the next few years. Hell even SNL is mocking the Obama’s ineptitude.

I’ve got my own company in a hold pattern right now and I’m generally known as a risk taker. The potential payoff’s do not outweigh the risks right now for me. We are holding as much cash as possible and trimming expenses despite the business growing. Many of my friends who own a business or run a company are in the same boat. We talk a lot these days.

[quote]hedo wrote:

I’ve got my own company in a hold pattern right now and I’m generally known as a risk taker. The potential payoff’s do not outweigh the risks right now for me. We are holding as much cash as possible and trimming expenses despite the business growing. Many of my friends who own a business or run a company are in the same boat. We talk a lot these days.[/quote]

If you plan on holding the American Dollar you are going to get wiped out. Look into Gold and silver. Hell I am buying the YEN right now, that currency has no where to go but up.

Hording the dollar wont help you must get out of the dollar.

[quote]John S. wrote:
hedo wrote:

I’ve got my own company in a hold pattern right now and I’m generally known as a risk taker. The potential payoff’s do not outweigh the risks right now for me. We are holding as much cash as possible and trimming expenses despite the business growing. Many of my friends who own a business or run a company are in the same boat. We talk a lot these days.

If you plan on holding the American Dollar you are going to get wiped out. Look into Gold and silver. Hell I am buying the YEN right now, that currency has no where to go but up.

Hording the dollar wont help you must get out of the dollar.[/quote]

Thanks John.

I’m hedged somewhat with metals and foreign currency denominated deposits.

Unless you consider that gold and silver are still at inflated prices… If you’re not investing in Real Estate you’re a nut. I’m not talking about flipping houses (which is Gambling, by the way, not investing) but long term investments.

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
I’m not talking about flipping houses (which is Gambling, by the way, not investing) but long term investments.[/quote]

Lol, you don’t know wtf you are talking about. Flipping houses is only gambling if you are one of those newbs on TV getting into the fad. If we are going to use your line of logic why don’t we just say all short term investing is gambling/speculation.

RE, like most things in life, is all about making your money when you buy. If you aren’t buying at a huge discount you are eventually going to get burned badly. If you buy at a huge discount you can afford to sell that fixed up house quickly at below market value and at a profit.

I don’t know why I even bother anymore. Arguing about finances on the internet is a waste of time because everyone has an opinion and less than 1% of them are any good. Just like all those gurus that have the magic secret to make money in down market but by following their advice you already lost all your shit because they didn’t even see the recession coming.

Hold tight to your money right now and invest in your financial education before you piss it all away. Join your chamber of commerce, Local Real Estate club, and find the people that actually make money and have been making money for years. After you locate them do whatever it takes to have their knowledge rub off on you. Also, always keep your bullshit meter set to KILL before you take advice…that includes my advice as well.

The housing market is still deflating from the bubble, 88% of the ARMS between 2004-2007 have yet to be reset. If you are going to get into the housing market wait for those to reset, then you will start seeing record low prices for houses.

If anyone is interested in investing this is what I will be buying.

Silvercorp Metals Inc (AMEX) SVM.

This company is going to grow very fast.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=AMEX:SVM

[quote]John S. wrote:
The housing market is still deflating from the bubble, 88% of the ARMS between 2004-2007 have yet to be reset. If you are going to get into the housing market wait for those to reset, then you will start seeing record low prices for houses.[/quote]

Not terrible advice but there really isn’t a point on waiting since there are so many good deals to be had now. It’s a phenomenal buyers’ market so what’s the point of waiting until it is a super ultra phenomenal buyers’ market. Deals are deals no matter what the market is doing. The key is being able to recognize a deal from the turd sandwiches.

If you are looking into buying residential and smaller 4-6 unit buildings now is a pretty good time. Read up on Short Sales and don’t sellers bullshit you because all you have to do is walk next door to find another deal. If you don’t have the money to do your own deals you can always make money through wholesaling homes.

Also, we are nearing the end of being able to buy cheap land on the coasts since they should start to see an upswing before the rest of the country. Buy those 10k lots in Florida from the dummies that paid over 100k for them a few years ago.

Tons of deals just do your research and don’t wait for the perfect day because it will never come. Just settle for the B+ and A- deals and you’ll still be very well off. Who needs a grand-slam when you can be hitting in the park home runs all day long.