Why Carnegie Mellon University?

Desperate times call for desperate measures. What should I write in this essay question of" Why Carnegie Mellon?" In fact, the only reason I’m applying is because my brother went there, I don’t really know much about the place.

Ideas?

Why don’t you get him to write your essay?

Or you could write about the giant cock in the middle of campus. Tell them you dig Asian chicks. Tell them about how you like to wear capes. Or you walk everywhere barefoot. Send in a screenshot of your lvl 9000 WoW character. But make sure you NEVER mention showering, unless you explain how it washes away your personality.

Dude…the “Why X” essays are supposed to be a personal thing. Any shit you get off of people on the internet is not going to be terribly genuine. Do 10 minutes of research on the school’s web site and decide what you like about it. If you can’t find anything you like about the place, perhaps you shouldn’t be going.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

Or you could write about the giant cock in the middle of campus. Tell them you dig Asian chicks. Tell them about how you like to wear capes. Or you walk everywhere barefoot. Send in a screenshot of your lvl 9000 WoW character. But make sure you NEVER mention showering, unless you explain how it washes away your personality.[/quote]

LOL, that about sums it up.

You could also mention that you’d like to pay $200k to spend the next 4 years of your life not partying, getting laid, or having any fun at all.

Yeah sure…a prospective student to an Ivy League college should definitely get online and ask for answers to his college essay.

[quote]Mondy wrote:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. What should I write in this essay question of" Why Carnegie Mellon?" In fact, the only reason I’m applying is because my brother went there, I don’t really know much about the place.

Ideas? [/quote]

so either A) find a school you give a shit about going to

B) bullshit it, if youre going to school you better learn how to B.S. essays real quick.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

B) bullshit it, if youre going to school you better learn how to B.S. essays real quick.[/quote]

Maybe at your JC, homeboy, but this is the big leagues (no offense).

A good professor or college will rip your essay apart and drive you to at least a year of therapy for the feedback.

Look, those people in the Admissions office have heard every form of bullshit known to man. So, don’t think you can put any bullshit over on them.

Familiarize yourself with the place a bit and write what you feel. If you don’t like the place, fuck it and try to get in to a place that turns you on.

Good luck!

Say you were inspired by Randy Pausch.

(seriously, did you see the Last Lecture he gave? Crazy stuff, makes you feel like you have no direction in life)

Or you could write about the giant cock in the middle of campus. Tell them you dig Asian chicks. Tell them about how you like to wear capes. Or you walk everywhere barefoot. Send in a screenshot of your lvl 9000 WoW character. But make sure you NEVER mention showering, unless you explain how it washes away your personality.[/quote]

I haven’t even been in the area long, but that was funny.

One of my friends who goes to Carnegie Mellon actually tells me that Carnegie is rated as the college with the ugliest girls.

Have fun.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
One of my friends who goes to Carnegie Mellon actually tells me that Carnegie is rated as the college with the ugliest girls.

Have fun.[/quote]

I don’t know. I think U of M can give it a pretty good run.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

B) bullshit it, if youre going to school you better learn how to B.S. essays real quick.

A good professor or college will rip your essay apart and drive you to at least a year of therapy for the feedback.[/quote]

what does B.S.'ing motives have to do with grammar?

my guess is theyre only 50% concerned with the concepts and the other 50% is just to see if you actually spell or not.

i dont think writing an essay changes anywhere you go either. does it require more effort? yes, but youre still going to be on Spark Notes and shit trying to figure out wtf Robert Frost was talking about.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:

Have fun.[/quote]

does that it mean it has the highest alcohol consumption too?

pzehtoeur wrote:

Have fun.

does that it mean it has the highest alcohol consumption too?[/quote]

That or the girls have REALLY good personalities.

http://collegeprowler.com/colleges/rankings/girls/

Carnegie Mellon has a ranking of C-…which is the lowest you can get on the scale.

U. Mich actually ranks as an A- school. Maybe the girls are all hiding.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:

Have fun.

does that it mean it has the highest alcohol consumption too?

That or the girls have REALLY good personalities.

http://collegeprowler.com/colleges/rankings/girls/

Carnegie Mellon has a ranking of C-…which is the lowest you can get on the scale.

U. Mich actually ranks as an A- school. Maybe the girls are all hiding.[/quote]

I can confirm this rumor. 90% of CMU broads are not worth looking at. The other 10% are so ugly you could take their picture and sell it to the Weekly World News.

PonceDeLeon wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

A good professor or college will rip your essay apart and drive you to at least a year of therapy for the feedback.

what does B.S.'ing motives have to do with grammar?

my guess is theyre only 50% concerned with the concepts and the other 50% is just to see if you actually spell or not.

i dont think writing an essay changes anywhere you go either. does it require more effort? yes, but youre still going to be on Spark Notes and shit trying to figure out wtf Robert Frost was talking about. [/quote]

Have you talked to any recruiters and admissions people? I’ve had drinks with them and a professor of mine. Interesting what they say, and I’ve taken an English class taught by an instructor who used to review college admission essays.

If we are talking schools that admit less than 10% per year, do not bullshit the essay.

If we are talking any graduate programs, DEFINITELY don’t bullshit the essay.

If you are an incoming undergrad and everything else about your record is flawless, you can get away with a so-so essay.

They weight all your aspects as a candidate and tally it up. Simple.

Carnegie Mellon is actually my top choice for graduate school. Cooper Union is probably my second, with CCA as a default local choice.

I’m definitely not badass enough to get into Art Center Pasadena.

[quote]boatguy wrote:

(seriously, did you see the Last Lecture he gave? Crazy stuff, makes you feel like you have no direction in life)[/quote]

If you’re going to do some name dropping, tell them about that time you met Captain Jean-Luc Picard while dressed as Han Solo while at ComicCom. Tell them about that time your met your favorite scientific superhero Bernoulli, but sadly, it was just a dream.

Discuss the philosophical ramifications of having a virtual girlfriend and explain its superiority to physical contact, but don’t mention copulation, since as a CMU student, you will know nothing about it (side note: as a prospective student, letting them know you have never touched a boob is like adding 250 points to your SAT score).

boatguy wrote:

(seriously, did you see the Last Lecture he gave? Crazy stuff, makes you feel like you have no direction in life)

If you’re going to do some name dropping, tell them about that time you met Captain Jean-Luc Picard while dressed as Han Solo while at ComicCom. Tell them about that time your met your favorite scientific superhero Bernoulli, but sadly, it was just a dream. Discuss the philosophical ramifications of having a virtual girlfriend and explain its superiority to physical contact, but don’t mention copulation, since as a CMU student, you will know nothing about it (side note: as a prospective student, letting them know you have never touched a boob is like adding 250 points to your SAT score).

[/quote]

You seem to have a real problem with liberal arts colleges. Are you compensating because you went to Generic State University?

I would suggest that you do not apply there. Find another school.