Why Can't I Lose Fat and Gain Muscle?

search this site read ALL articles by Dani Shugart
read posts by chris colucci
ask direct questions you get from reading
as for crossfit,you find a good cross fit gym you will get some where
you find a bad cross fit gym you waste time
cross fit is just circuit program repacked and marketed

1 Like

It is sometimes said the only difference between gaining muscle and loosing fat is diet. This is not quite true but diet accounts for 70% or results.

Using your figures age, height, weight, 3 workout / wk. 2,300 calories are needed for maintenance.

You need to be in a calorie deficit say 1800 / day to loss fat.

As said by others eat 100g or more protien daily, your weight 128lb ÷2.2= 58kg. Aim for 2g protien / kg body weight.

Calorie counting leads to obsessive behaviour, so follow the simple ideas below.

The good thing about eating more meat, fish & poultry is that it satisfies hungry. Furthermore by not eating plenty of protien you will likely loose muscle whilst in a calorie deficit.

Eat less simply carbohydrates bread, pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes and sugar soft drinks. These high G.I. (glycemic index) foods cause insulin to rise (which is needed before and especially after a workout).

If you are not doing physical work high blood insulin will be stored as fat, or at the very least prevent fat from being used as energy.

As the blood insulin level falls this triggers the feeling of hunger, which unhelpfully makes you want more Carbs.

Do not go hungry eat plenty of vegetables and salad and to certain extend fruit. Fill up on them. These are low G.I. foods.

A low GI diet does not cause high insulin which is stored as fat and then falls making you hungry. Coupled with high protien which satisfies hunger for longer (and does not convert to insulin as easy) and helps prevent muscle loss whilst you are editing.

The mirror is a far more useful tool to gauge progress than the scales. As you loose fat given that you crossfit and resistance train you should again some muscle.

So the scales will most likely stay static.

1 Like