Why Can't I Lift 315?

ok so my best deadlift is 415x2, at my meet i pulled 405x1 after 3 days of no lifting activity, lately during the football season and even before that started i havent been able to crack 315 off the ground and if i can i can hardly do it,

today i did rack pulls from just abocve the knee and it still wouldnt budge what the fuck!
its now football season and i think i should only deadllift every other week, but i mean what can i do!!! i feel it in my lower back so maybe that needs tons of strengthening, suggestions please?

anyone else have this problem?

315 should be super easy if you can do 405x2. Maybe your fatigued. What is giving out, your back, grip?

back, i think i should start a new regime while football is going on of tons of back extensions and planks to get my core strong what do u think?

i know im definitly fatigued but 315 should still be warm up!

Take two weeks off from heavy lifting man.

Use that time to get a stronger core, do some mobility drills, and get focused on playing your sport.

It’s not the most appealing thing, but you’ll come back stronger and it’ll give you an opportunity to focus on conditioning instead of brute strength and mass like you’ve been doing lately.

Just my .02 cents.

Sounds like serious overtraining. Do you regulary train to failure on compound lifts or train with weights at 90% or more of your 1 RM on a regular basis?

If I’m understanding the timeline here, you pulled a max deadlift, 3 days later pulled again, then pulled from the rack just a short period later.

So after hitting a max dead you twice pulled shortly thereafter. Is that correct?

I think you’re just fatigued (whether or not you feel like it). Take some time off.

Don’t pull. Do goodmornings on your deadlift day. I’d go at least two weeks before pulling again.

Look, I pulled 475 standing on a 4 inch box a few weeks ago. I’ve been hitting my back hard lately, and this week I could barely pull 515 off the rack. I just need to back off for a bit.

This shit happens every once and a while. p

I think a lot of people don’t realize how much a maximum attempt can fatigue you and you really don’t realize it. I maxed on front squat awhile ago around 390 or so, then decided to do a pause back squat with 405 and it was way harder then it should have been.

Didn’t make sense since i had not done THAT much lifting just a few maximum attempts.

Give your self some rest and you should be fine, though if you can’t even pick it up you might have a slight injury as 315 is not close to your maximum.

It’s football season. If I were you, I’d back waaaay off of heavy lifting while the season is going on. Think of it as saving your strength for the game, while avoiding excessive risk of injury.

thanks alot guys, travis the 415x2 was like a few weeks before the meet, and the three days offi took all i did was get a light opener ready for the sunday meet on wednesday,

jay pierce i like ur idea i think i will be doing a two day a week lifting scheme for the season hows this look:

Saturday:
bench/squat
minimal assistance
lots of core/lower back work

wed. or thrusday:
deadlift or clean variation
bench maybe
back assitance
again more core and lower back

so first session ill hit front side of upper body and lowr

second i hit back sides and hams :slight_smile:

[quote]bignate wrote:
thanks alot guys, travis the 415x2 was like a few weeks before the meet, and the three days offi took all i did was get a light opener ready for the sunday meet on wednesday,

jay pierce i like ur idea i think i will be doing a two day a week lifting scheme for the season hows this look:

Saturday:
bench/squat
minimal assistance
lots of core/lower back work

wed. or thrusday:
deadlift or clean variation
bench maybe
back assitance
again more core and lower back

so first session ill hit front side of upper body and lowr

second i hit back sides and hams :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Sounds like a plan. Remember that football is already putting alot of stress on your body so in the weightroom you are just trying to maintain your base of strength. Go too heavy and you might not recover keep weights around 80-85% or so and volume relatively low.

Don’t sweat going lighter too much because once you are finished your season and back to your old routine your strength will bounce back and you will be beating your old records in no time at all!

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
Sounds like a plan. Remember that football is already putting alot of stress on your body so in the weightroom you are just trying to maintain your base of strength. Go too heavy and you might not recover keep weights around 80-85% or so and volume relatively low.

Don’t sweat going lighter too much because once you are finished your season and back to your old routine your strength will bounce back and you will be beating your old records in no time at all![/quote]

exactly.

Check out WS4SB’s in-season routine.

“What good is it to be strong in the off-season, and as weak as an 8 year old girl in-season”.

Don’t worry, I have had the same issue. Somedays I’ll struggle with a weight 200lbs under my deadlift max while warming up. That is a great indicator that it is time to get out of the weight room. Typically when this occurs I’ll do some ab work, back raises, GHR and call it a day.

I faced the same problem today.

My max DL is 195kg(200kg hitched),today I had problem doing even 180kg.

Yes,I have been adding 5-10kg per week since I resumed pulling in June.Started with only 3 plates(140kg)and going for 1RMs every week.That means I added over 50kg in 3 months…

Guess I am burned out.

Don’t you agree?

I would suggest while you’re replacing some deads with good mornings to definitely be doing prone bridge, side bridge and Pallof Press as well to bring up the support because when you’re strength does come back you’ll be setting new PR’s so you might as well work on your assisting muscles in the mean time.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
I faced the same problem today.

My max DL is 195kg(200kg hitched),today I had problem doing even 180kg.

Yes,I have been adding 5-10kg per week since I resumed pulling in June.Started with only 3 plates(140kg)and going for 1RMs every week.That means I added over 50kg in 3 months…

Guess I am burned out.

Don’t you agree?[/quote]

Same thing happened to me about three months ago. I was training extremely heavy/intense for an extended period of time, making excellent progress, etc.

Out of the blue, my strength just fell off a cliff – similar to being really weak from the flu (except I wasn’t physically ill).

Took a week off from all training, got back in doing moderate weight, and about 2-3 weeks later everything was back to normal.

Do you want to play football or lift weights?

If you are trying to be at peak performance in both, you are just going backwards.

same thing happened to me.Your fatigued, outta gas. Let your body catch back up. I would say…maybe 2-3 weeks. IMO. And as far as dLs every other week during football. Its a good idea. But dont let up on the weight. keep it heavy. and make sure you do a LOTTTA active recovery/stretching, jogging, meditating and breathing exersizes. It will help you recover from heavy sessions. It helps me at leaste.

Yea, i know what you mean tho. You get done with a heavy session in the weightroom, and the next morning you still gotta train hard on the field. Its a bitch sometimes. But dont let up. Stay hardcore with that shit.

I agree with the others. Deadlifts are one thing I can tell fairly easy warming up if i should call it quits for a week or two. Id say take a rest and do anything else besides the deadlifting. The worst thing to do is to keep grinding away and getting weaker/hurt.

There’s something going on when a 240ish pound football player can’t pull less than double his bodyweight. If your lower back can’t handle 315 right now you may run into bigger problems playing football at your size.