Why Can't I Gain Muscle?

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
So you’re saying I’m lying then?

why the fuck would I lie?

okay, so let me get this right - I’m doing everything incorrectly, I lack motivation, I’m insane and now I’m a liar.

What’s next?

[/quote]

OMG everytime I read your posts it just pisses me off. You work harder and you regress? You eat more and you gain fat? Blah blah blah. Cry me a river, you ARE FULL OF SHIT!!! You ARE NOT SPECIAL. You ARE NOT some enigma that cannot gain muscle or get stronger. You DO NOT have high levels of myostatin. Stop making excuses, grow a pair, and get your shit done!!!

So yah I think you are a liar x2, and a homo. Trainers must love you because you stick around for 10 years, don’t make any gains, and you keep paying them. Maybe it’s all an elaborate scheme! They know you will stick around b/c you have no mental toughness to do this on your own so they are training you to regress on purpose so they keep making bank! AH HA! Thats whats going on here!..not

In all seriousness, if you’re doing everything right; if eating more makes you fat, and eating less makes you skinny; if nothing has ever or will ever work: why bother? Honestly, you’re wasting your time. Don’t. Life’s short. Go find something you can do and enjoy that. Mentally or physically, you just aren’t cut out for this game.

[quote]Yossarian wrote:
In all seriousness, if you’re doing everything right; if eating more makes you fat, and eating less makes you skinny; if nothing has ever or will ever work: why bother? Honestly, you’re wasting your time. Don’t. Life’s short. Go find something you can do and enjoy that. Mentally or physically, you just aren’t cut out for this game.[/quote]

x2

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
What’s next?
[/quote]A log.

I’m resigning from this debate until we see you post a log, so the senior members here can give some advice on your lifting and eating.

[quote]Yossarian wrote:
No no, you’re not lying. You’re special. VERY special. See, these guys who are all bigger and stronger than you, who are giving you advice on how to get big and strong like them, they just don’t understand you. You are the odd man out. The 0.01%. I understand. I can help. If you purchase my specially tailored for-your-exact-needs plan, you’ll be bigger and stronger in just 12 weeks. Because there’s a special trick to this for you. Really.[/quote]

You should sell your program, good advert is that!

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:
What’s next?
A log.

I’m resigning from this debate until we see you post a log, so the senior members here can give some advice on your lifting and eating.[/quote]

I was looking foward to getting a log going but I now get the feeling, after reading this thread, that any log I do will descend into nothing but a shit storm of childish comments from the same people who’ve posted towards the end of this thread.

I’ve explained that recentley I’ve been training twice a week, using failure and beyond failure techniques, I’ve regressed while adding body fat and no-one here believes that - no-one’s answered me - why would I lie about that?

So you’re all in agreement that using failure and beyond failure techniques should be used by everyone?

Can Iask your opinion on this please? click on the link below.

www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9696&highlight=failure

www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8066&highlight=failure

After going against his advice with regards to training to and beyond failure, I now see why he’s against it.

Some of you are stuck within the mindset that if you arent gaining, you train harder, if you still don’t gain, train even harder and eat more (I agree about the eating bit) - but clearly this can’t be and isn’t the case for everyone, surely?

Well, I can only help you if I have something to work with. So: Log and pictures/vids.

Training and food intake are needed to gain muscle. I think everyone agrees. Lyle McDonald had a good quote. Say the training is out of the equation. If it were the limitation, then you’d at least be gaining fat if you were eating enough to support growth. Hardgainers are overtrainers(I don’t know about that) and undereaters.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:

I was looking foward to getting a log going but I now know people might actually read it and call me on my bullshit.

[/quote]

[quote]Yossarian wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:

I was looking foward to getting a log going but I now know people might actually read it and call me on my bullshit.

[/quote]

I rest my case.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Well, I can only help you if I have something to work with. So: Log and pictures/vids.
[/quote]

Thank you.

And does anyone know if there’s a reason why the ‘http://’ has been edited from the links I posted above?

I haven’t followed the entire 21 pages of this. But seriously without a log and pics/vids there’s nothing anyone can really do other than speculate.

Also, you say you’re only lifting twice a week? Why is that? Actually it doesn’t matter for now, not until you post the log with pics/vids.

this thread frusterates me…luckily that makes me want to throw around heavy shit…
-i was nervous of the leg workout i’m about to have, as i didnt know if i was going to make my goals or not, but now, so i dont slip back into mediocrity, i will be thinking of this thread and will make it happen, no matter what

to the guy who says he wants to get big, if you are not willing to give people the tools to help you, how can you even hope to recieve it?,

everyones getting frusterated because you have a bad defeatist attitude and are giving them the run around when they are legitamently trying to help you… i hope you can see and understand whats going on, be grateful and overcome the attitude

for what its worth, i tend to have similar attitudes, but am learning time and time again, that no matter how you think and feel, life will keep going on, so all you can do is your best, even if that means working on all the stuff you hate, and changing from the inside out so you’re capable of possitive changes,

basically i’m overcoming it and i cant stress enough how much better it is on the otherside of that, and hope that you can start overcoming it too

Let’s just rule out the fact that he’s tried everything, because he hasn’t. You’re making it sound like there’s something very complex and wrong with you. I think you THINK you’re doing enough, but you really aren’t.

You would see if you lived, ate and trained with one of the senior members on this board. You sound like there is nothing to be done, and if that’s the case, DO SOMETHING ELSE.

If I am blind and simply cannot drive, I’m not going to keep trying to drive in hopes one day I will be in NASCAR.

Have you ever thought about just saying “fuck it”, eating however makes you happy and working out however you feel like it? Because it sounds like all this over-analysis isn’t working, so do the opposite.

I’ve seen my friends in college, who don’t give a shit about what they eat, and just workout as they please, and they got at least SOME results. They don’t turn into Ronnie, but they aren’t sickly, 234234% BF individuals who can’t lift anything.

You have to understand, that bodybuilding although however hard it may be for you to understand, is a very basic thing. We got scientific about it once we began to research the complexities that are behind it, but how do you think they did it back in the day?

Meat, vegetables, fruits, potatoes, etc. + lift big fucking rocks and run around a lot.

So yah I think you are a liar x2, and a

homo.

Lol… fuck that made me laugh… :slight_smile:

1. STOP FRIGGING QUOTING PAGES of stuff PLEASE

2. Your from the UK/ England ?

3. Please dont say you have tried EVERYTHING… you haven’t eaten properly yet nevermind tried EVERY program on this earth. So that statement is void.

4. If you want to be big STOP ARGUING WITH BIG PEOPLE about what to do ! Take Prof. X he is bigger than me (well untill he diets down :slight_smile: ) So when he talks you should stop quoting pages of stuff and actually take notice of what the man says…

5. I REFUSE to believe eating alot made you fat, more like eating alot of CRAP food… it would take ALOT of GOOD food to make you “fat”

6. Do yourself a favour, today think REAL hard if this lifestyle is for you, i see far to many people who think → i lift weights and eat food im a bodybuilder and ill get HUGE. To get HUGE the amount of food you must eat, the energy sapping workouts you must do, the amount of idiots you must put up with truly test your resolve. Don’t take this the wrong way, but your mental mindset is not set up to be “Big”… your so wrapped up in the keep below “X” amount of fat getting big will NEVER be in your future.

7. If you should truly decide that you want to be big then by all means there are people quite ready to help you… hell im helping 3 people at the moment do what they want. This sport is really easy for beginners and don’t fool yourself you are a beginner BUT you 1st have to decide wtf it is that you want… and no quoting pages or replying to every post is going to do that for you.

Get off this thread, hell off this board and decide if this sport is for you… to get “big” you MUST accept some fat gain ITS NOT HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO GET BIG WITHOUT SOME FAT. And whatever M & F magazine said it was or wtf ever said it was IS WRONG.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Magarhe wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:

At 5 feet 10 inches tall, adding 55-60lbs of fat to tiny frame is a lot of fat. You say some of that will have been muscle, but if that was the case, then surely I should have become a little stronger?
[/quote]

FAT AND MUSCLE
But it is NOT all fat, it never is, you can’t gain only fat. The muscle and fat are mixed in there a bit. Sure it could be mostly fat, but who cares - there is muscle gain too. And no you might not get any stronger - just with more muscle, there is then a chance to make it stronger.

STRENGTH REGRESSION
Also, don’t expect your strength to go up with every workout - it is possible for it to “regress” slightly for a few weeks and then you can deload - or not train at all - and it will be back again better than ever. If you are going to quit everytime your strength drops then you won’t get anywhere. A 55 bench might be a plateau for you, you might need to work on it for 6 weeks and see you bench drop to 50, 45 … “regress” … then take a break and wham it is then up to 65. Who knows, this is just an example, thing is, if you are giving up at any “regression” and giving up at any “fat gain” then you are not going to get anywhere, because there will be fatigue, and there will be fat.

I am being serious. JUST EAT A TONNE OF FOOD AND BE A FATTY. You are NOT fit and healthy at 120lbs or 130lbs or 170lbs, you are skinny and weak and wasting away.

BODY SHAPE MISTAKEN ASSUMPTIONS
You are assuming that you are going to be lean, cut, muscular all the way through this. You will not. Only freaks are able to achieve that. What you are going to be, if you want to be bigger and stronger, is you are going to be FATTER, FLABBY, go way past target weight, push your strength, eat like a horse, and then, only when you have the strength you want, start cutting back the fat. And you know what? In the end you might not be like the cut magnificence you want to be, you personally might never be able to achieve that, and might always be having a bit of a rounded, flabby look on top of your muscles. But at least you will have muscles.

Well I have training problems too and I don’t complain about them, I fix them. The only one who hears me complain is my wife when I say “I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck today” - but that’s her job to sympathise and then she hits me, hard too, which is good encouragement to not complain again.

Nah I think you have identified with your skinny self and you are unconsciously sabotaging yourself whether it be quitting short on your sets or undereating or being overly-nervous and sapping your recovery with anxiety about being skinny. I am sure you are completely unaware of this, but you are doing it.

OK so form is not the problem.

Not at all, unlike others, I am sure you have done all you say you have and I do think there is something missing. But that something could be the fact that you are convinced you have trained hard/properly but in fact, you have not. It could be psychological like identifying yourself as skinny and sticking to it. IT could be diet. It could be a combination of everything being crap.

Well I have seen people have mild food allergies that give mild symptoms of fatigue etc… but which are overdriving their immune systems slightly - but enough to prevent gains in the weight room. But tests for allergies are a bit dodgy in my opinion. You need to weed out the foods that are bad for you by keeping a log of what you eat, and how you feel immediately, 2 hrs later, 5-8 hours later, 15 hours later. Until you suspect things, and then eliminate them. And see how that goes for a week. A single allergy could be the one thing screwing you up.

[quote]
At the moment - I do agree with some of you about my training - it… I’ll have to get back to this post in a bit… I’ll finish this post soon.[/quote]

Also have you considered stopping weights and taking up some sort of other activity like running 400m for awhile? you might have a really bad foundation of fitness.

[quote]300andabove wrote:

1. STOP FRIGGING QUOTING PAGES of stuff PLEASE

2. Your from the UK/ England ?

3. Please dont say you have tried EVERYTHING… you haven’t eaten properly yet nevermind tried EVERY program on this earth. So that statement is void.

4. If you want to be big STOP ARGUING WITH BIG PEOPLE about what to do ! Take Prof. X he is bigger than me (well untill he diets down :slight_smile: ) So when he talks you should stop quoting pages of stuff and actually take notice of what the man says…

5. I REFUSE to believe eating alot made you fat, more like eating alot of CRAP food… it would take ALOT of GOOD food to make you “fat”

6. Do yourself a favour, today think REAL hard if this lifestyle is for you, i see far to many people who think → i lift weights and eat food im a bodybuilder and ill get HUGE. To get HUGE the amount of food you must eat, the energy sapping workouts you must do, the amount of idiots you must put up with truly test your resolve. Don’t take this the wrong way, but your mental mindset is not set up to be “Big”… your so wrapped up in the keep below “X” amount of fat getting big will NEVER be in your future.

7. If you should truly decide that you want to be big then by all means there are people quite ready to help you… hell im helping 3 people at the moment do what they want. This sport is really easy for beginners and don’t fool yourself you are a beginner BUT you 1st have to decide wtf it is that you want… and no quoting pages or replying to every post is going to do that for you.

Get off this thread, hell off this board and decide if this sport is for you… to get “big” you MUST accept some fat gain ITS NOT HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO GET BIG WITHOUT SOME FAT. And whatever M & F magazine said it was or wtf ever said it was IS WRONG.

[/quote]

I’m not sure I have tried everything, if I thought I had tried everything then I wouldn’t be here now. However, I have tried just about everything that has been suggested.

I’m not arguing with people about what to do - I’m telling people what I’ve tried.

You seem to be getting me wrong - I know fat gain is inevitable while addding muscle + strength. Fat gain wouldn’t be an issue at all if I was gaining some muscle to go with it - I’ve carried as much as 50-60lbs of fat before - I’ve added more than 10 inches to my waist while trying to gain size and strength. The only way it is an issue is because I don’t gain lean weight or strength - get that corrected and I don’t give a shit about gaining fat.

You say my diet is shit and I eat shit foods - all I can say to that is - it’s not! I don’t eat processed foods, no chocolate, crisps, chips, fries and I can’t remember the last time I had a cheat meal - pizzas, burgers, cakes - none of that appeals to me, the only obvious thing wrong with my diet is the lack of fruit - although I eat enough veg, I should be getting more fruit in my diet.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:

You seem to be getting me wrong - I know fat gain is inevitable while addding muscle + strength. Fat gain wouldn’t be an issue at all if I was gaining some muscle to go with it - I’ve carried as much as 50-60lbs of fat before - I’ve added more than 10 inches to my waist while trying to gain size and strength. The only way it is an issue is because I don’t gain lean weight or strength - get that corrected and I don’t give a shit about gaining fat.

You say my diet is shit and I eat shit foods - all I can say to that is - it’s not! I don’t eat processed foods, no chocolate, crisps, chips, fries and I can’t remember the last time I had a cheat meal - pizzas, burgers, cakes - none of that appeals to me, the only obvious thing wrong with my diet is the lack of fruit - although I eat enough veg, I should be getting more fruit in my diet.

[/quote]

Then you need to go to a doctor. Honestly, if you’re telling the truth about this, you do. I cannot conceive of a way to add 50 pounds of fat and ten inches of gut while eating clean foods and lifting. I mean, even completely half-assed lifting and a moderately active lifestyle would prevent this amount of fat gain on a clean diet.