Why Can't I Gain Muscle?

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Maybe his form is total crud - POST VIDEOS - POST PICTURES - if anyone can find out what is wrong, the thousands of people here can - but you don’t help much without pictures and videos of your lifts. Stick them up.
[/quote]

Videos would be preferred. Then we could see him really going to failure on a few of his lifts, and then attempting slightly higher weights or more reps the next time.

“And if your trainers aren’t dumb fuckers why are you on this site asking for advice?”

Just because their advice hasn’t worked with me doesn’t mean they’re dumb fuckers.

I worked with ironaddict for 20 months, and I’m sure some people here know who he is - he is good at what he does - go to his website and have a look. He’s an online trainer and he’s far from being a “dumb fucker”

The trainer I’m using now, well I wanted to someone to actually look over me while I trained to make sure that my form and tecnique were good, also I wanted some fresh ideas and someone to work with to see if that made any difference, but so far it hasn’t. He’s worked with body builders and boxers, so I wouldn’t class him as one of the gym personal trainers that know fuck all.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Wannabebig - I was wondering how you were going since a year ago or so.

Your lack of progress is a mystery (still).

Do you do stretches? I am wondering if you have tried extreme stretches as in DoggCrapp training. I am wondering if maybe you have really tight fascia or something that has limited your growth these years. Just a thought. Otherwise, I’m all outta ideas.

Also change your name frome wannabebig to GonnaBeBig
[/quote]

Hi mate, how you getting on?

Yeah I tried that just before I got togther with ironaddict, I didn’t have a trining partner so used the smith machine a lot for DC training. I liked that style of training, I enjoyed it, was pretty difficult and I got some rather funny looks from people when doing the stretches after each lift. The only time I’ve ever used stretching like that… I’m not sure if all the info is still avilable on DC training, I remember at the time he had taken the info off his site, so I had to get it from elsewhere… I managed to get everything there was on that style of training in a file from someone, I printed it off and there was what seemed like 100s of pages… just had a quick look to see if intensemuscle.com is still there, he has a new site I see.

So yeah, I’ve tried the DC stretching.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:

Like I said previously - I don’t fear fat gain, when I first started training I weighed 115-120lbs or so, I’ve been as high as 174lbs, that’s a fat increase of 55-59lbs.

174lbs is frikking TINY - how fat could you possibly be at 174lbs?

Also, that is not a fat increase of 55 lbs … some of that would have been muscle.

I think you need to gain “fat” up to 250lbs - that is 75lbs heavier than you have ever been - and see if your strength increases.

For those who do not know, wannabebig has been going on like this for years - not progressing, and posting his lament.

I would love to see what finally changes things - if anything does - it could be entirely psychological, in which case, we got no hope. Possibly wannabebig enjoys the gym, working out, “the feel of it”, NOT gaining, complaining about it, feeling stuck and frustrated, and fears muscle gain. MAYBE.

But maybe also he is lacking one simple thing that we cannot deduce from his posts. Maybe he needs to stretch. Maybe he has an undiagnosed slight allergy to a food he eats that has minimal symptoms but runs his body down all the time and makes it damned hard to recover and grow.

Maybe his form is total crud - POST VIDEOS - POST PICTURES - if anyone can find out what is wrong, the thousands of people here can - but you don’t help much without pictures and videos of your lifts. Stick them up.

[/quote]

"174lbs is frikking TINY - how fat could you possibly be at 174lbs?

Also, that is not a fat increase of 55 lbs … some of that would have been muscle."

At 5 feet 10 inches tall, adding 55-60lbs of fat to tiny frame is a lot of fat. You say some of that will have been muscle, but if that was the case, then surely I should have become a little stronger?

You say I should gain weight upto 250lbs? I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not? someone who has a lean body weight of 110lbs going upto 250lbs of fat? I fail to see what good that would do??, I like to be fit and healthy. When I was 130lbs I still couldn’t see my abs when I lay down and crunched my abs, I was also carrying a bit of fat on my the underside of my arms, legs and ass – to be propely lean at a low BF%age, I’d have to be back at my starting weight of 120lbs - so more than doubling that weight with fat just makes no sense to me?

But other things you have mentioned are good points and possible. I do like training, but you’re wrong about me liking to complain about it - why would I like complaining about it? - it’s been a year and a half since I was last on this forum (or any other forum for that matter) - I’ve been away, got my head down, tried new things that haven’t worked, so I’ve come back here - I want to progress I really do, I just don’t know what’s preventing me. Being skinny is shit on so many levels, and that’s why I started training in the first place. I see that you’re just pointing things out that could be possible and you may well be right.

You meantioned psyholoical issues – I thought maybe it could be psychological too - I have suffered from depression and being skinny affected me and contributed to my depression - that first started when I was 13-14 years old, that’s 17-18 years ago now… I haven’t been depressed for a long time now, the only time I do feel down is when I don’t get mucg exercise - if I’ve been ill or been injured for a while, I start to feel “down” but before anything major kicks in (depression) I’m back in the gym, doing a spot of cardio and lifting weights and I feel good again. Even though I thought/think everything was/is okay, I went ahead and had a 4 point saliva cortisol test to see if it may be that, but the test came back all good, included in that test was estrogen and DHEA - estrogen was normally and DHEA was off the chart (as in high). I’ve been told that that test means nothing, it doesn’t mean I don’t have a problem with cortisol, as that’s just one day, and that one day might have been the best day, cortisol wise in a while… but still, with it results being normal, it just makes me think there isn’t an issue there.

My form - well, like I’ve said, I used the personal trainer because I thought the same as you. I was an ironaddict trainee for 20 months, but he was an online trainer and never saw me in the gym. and after not getting any kind of results for so long with him, I thought maybe my lifts were shit, my form was bad and that maybe I wasn’t training correctly and that it might be this contributing to my lack of gains, so that’s why I hired the personal trainer… he watched me train and he said my form and technique was good… my brother trains too, he’s seen me train and said he hasn’t noticed anything bad about my technique either.

I know some of you think I’m bullshitting about what I’ve done and how I’ve gone about it - I don’t blame you, this all seems bloody ridiculous and I’m always asking “why?” and I just don’t have an answer… but I wish I did.

Food allergy? maybe I should have a food allergy test…

At the moment - I do agree with some of you about my training - it… I’ll have to get back to this post in a bit… I’ll finish this post soon.

Damn, that was a long post full of crap. Too much for me to bother reading. Just get to work logging your diet and training (videos, pictures and descriptions). Worrying is not the way you get big.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Have you not read my post?

I was refering to beyond failure tecniques.

Of course I’ve trained to failure, but I havent done in about 2-3 years because ironaddict was training me and he’s against training to failure - I stuck to what I was told, seemd like a good idea at the time.

the first few years I used failure, and got nowhere with it, I trained to failure a lot whilst on gear also, I also used drop sets… but never used other beyond failure tecniques until I trained with my trainer, mostly because I train during the day, and on my own.

you’re now coming cross as an asswipe, so I’d rather you keep your opinions to yourself.

cheers.

[/quote]

Iron Addict was training you? Any logs or threads of that?

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:

"174lbs is frikking TINY - how fat could you possibly be at 174lbs?

Also, that is not a fat increase of 55 lbs … some of that would have been muscle."

At 5 feet 10 inches tall, adding 55-60lbs of fat to tiny frame is a lot of fat. You say some of that will have been muscle, but if that was the case, then surely I should have become a little stronger?

You say I should gain weight upto 250lbs? I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not? someone who has a lean body weight of 110lbs going upto 250lbs of fat? I fail to see what good that would do??, I like to be fit and healthy. When I was 130lbs I still couldn’t see my abs when I lay down and crunched my abs, I was also carrying a bit of fat on my the underside of my arms, legs and ass – to be propely lean at a low BF%age, I’d have to be back at my starting weight of 120lbs - so more than doubling that weight with fat just makes no sense to me?

But other things you have mentioned are good points and possible. I do like training, but you’re wrong about me liking to complain about it - why would I like complaining about it? - it’s been a year and a half since I was last on this forum (or any other forum for that matter) - I’ve been away, got my head down, tried new things that haven’t worked, so I’ve come back here - I want to progress I really do, I just don’t know what’s preventing me. Being skinny is shit on so many levels, and that’s why I started training in the first place. I see that you’re just pointing things out that could be possible and you may well be right.

You meantioned psyholoical issues – I thought maybe it could be psychological too - I have suffered from depression and being skinny affected me and contributed to my depression - that first started when I was 13-14 years old, that’s 17-18 years ago now… I haven’t been depressed for a long time now, the only time I do feel down is when I don’t get mucg exercise - if I’ve been ill or been injured for a while, I start to feel “down” but before anything major kicks in (depression) I’m back in the gym, doing a spot of cardio and lifting weights and I feel good again. Even though I thought/think everything was/is okay, I went ahead and had a 4 point saliva cortisol test to see if it may be that, but the test came back all good, included in that test was estrogen and DHEA - estrogen was normally and DHEA was off the chart (as in high). I’ve been told that that test means nothing, it doesn’t mean I don’t have a problem with cortisol, as that’s just one day, and that one day might have been the best day, cortisol wise in a while… but still, with it results being normal, it just makes me think there isn’t an issue there.

My form - well, like I’ve said, I used the personal trainer because I thought the same as you. I was an ironaddict trainee for 20 months, but he was an online trainer and never saw me in the gym. and after not getting any kind of results for so long with him, I thought maybe my lifts were shit, my form was bad and that maybe I wasn’t training correctly and that it might be this contributing to my lack of gains, so that’s why I hired the personal trainer… he watched me train and he said my form and technique was good… my brother trains too, he’s seen me train and said he hasn’t noticed anything bad about my technique either.

I know some of you think I’m bullshitting about what I’ve done and how I’ve gone about it - I don’t blame you, this all seems bloody ridiculous and I’m always asking “why?” and I just don’t have an answer… but I wish I did.

Food allergy? maybe I should have a food allergy test…

At the moment - I do agree with some of you about my training - it… I’ll have to get back to this post in a bit… I’ll finish this post soon.[/quote]

Mh yeah, any pics of you at 174?

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:

At 5 feet 10 inches tall, adding 55-60lbs of fat to tiny frame is a lot of fat. You say some of that will have been muscle, but if that was the case, then surely I should have become a little stronger?[/quote]

Only if you forced yourself to get stronger. No one “becomes” stronger. They force it by lifting heavier weights than what they are comfortable with. You are clearly NOT doing that if your weights used are still that light after all of these years.

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
Damn, that was a long post full of crap. Too much for me to bother reading. Just get to work logging your diet and training (videos, pictures and descriptions). Worrying is not the way you get big.[/quote]

well how do you know if it was full of crap if you didnt bother reading it?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:
Have you not read my post?

I was refering to beyond failure tecniques.

Of course I’ve trained to failure, but I havent done in about 2-3 years because ironaddict was training me and he’s against training to failure - I stuck to what I was told, seemd like a good idea at the time.

the first few years I used failure, and got nowhere with it, I trained to failure a lot whilst on gear also, I also used drop sets… but never used other beyond failure tecniques until I trained with my trainer, mostly because I train during the day, and on my own.

you’re now coming cross as an asswipe, so I’d rather you keep your opinions to yourself.

cheers.

Iron Addict was training you? Any logs or threads of that? [/quote]

unfortunately there are no threads or logs - one of his conditions is that his trainees don’t post his routines up on any forum.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:

Only if you forced yourself to get stronger. No one “becomes” stronger. They force it by lifting heavier weights than what they are comfortable with. You are clearly NOT doing that if your weights used are still that light after all of these years.[/quote]

okay, if you say so, clearly I’ve not tried that…

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Professor X wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:

Only if you forced yourself to get stronger. No one “becomes” stronger. They force it by lifting heavier weights than what they are comfortable with. You are clearly NOT doing that if your weights used are still that light after all of these years.

okay, if you say so, clearly I’ve not tried that…

[/quote]

Clearly. In fact, if, as you seem to keep implying, everything you are doing is so perfect (something not one advanced bodybuilder would ever say because it is NEVER perfect), then you need to find a new hobby. I put quite a bit of my time and money into this. It is a significant focus in my life. There is no way in hell I would be this focused on this activity if I had been lifting for nearly a decade but had made such little progress.

That is what I don’t understand.

I have no doubt this is a mental issue above all else with you. Most people should NOT need a personal trainer just to learn the basic equation “lift heavy + food in surplus + rest = bigger and stronger muscles” or to put it to use.

No average personal trainer is going to tell you when you are truly fucking up unless they are extremely well known and well paid. The local guy at 24 Hour Fitness won’t. They will tell you whatever it takes to keep you paying them. That is why your claims of working with these people do NOT impress the knowledgeable people on this forum.

Yes, it is possible in some sci-fi sense that you are at some extreme end of the genetic spectrum where you can not gain muscle. However, if that truly is the case, then wasting years of your life on something producing ZERO results is the very definition of insanity.

Clearly. In fact, if, as you seem to keep implying, everything you are doing is so perfect (something not one advanced bodybuilder would ever say because it is NEVER perfect),

I’ve not said everything is perfect - all I’ve said is that I’ve paid for professional people to try and help me - one was an online trainer who lives 1000s of miles away from me.

I’ve had help with my diet, again, by a professional.

I’ve used a personal trainer in my area who has trained bodybuilders and boxers.

Clearly something ISN’T PERFECT - I just don’t know what it is and it’s left many people scarcthing their heads!

I’ll tell you something though - my dedication, determination and consistency ARE perfect - that’s something I do know and I don’t give a shit if you think otherwise.

I have no doubt this is a mental issue above all else with you. Most people should NOT need a personal trainer just to learn the basic equation “lift heavy + food in surplus + rest = bigger and stronger muscles” or to put it to use.

Most people shouldn’t need a personal trainer, but after so long without gains, I started to question everything. I didn’t need the personal trainer just to learn “lift heavy + food in surplus = bigger” – of course I knew I had to do that and I’ve tried to do that! I paid for him so I could actually have someone look over the way I train and correct me if I was doing anything wrong and he doesn’t work in fitness first, he has his own private gym. And why do you think I’m trying to impress people here by telling you I’ve used a trainer? the mind boggles…

So you think I’m insane, fair enough, I like to think of it as determined! anything else you want to add to that, just to get it out of your system? Apart from telling me I’m doing everything incorrectly and have done over the last ten years? and that isn’t exactly helping me, is it?

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
and that isn’t exactly helping me, is it?

[/quote]

That’s the point. NOTHING is helping you gain even average levels of strength and size that most guys get just from lifting light weights as beginners. From a biological standpoint, it would indicate someone who is extremely frail and sickly yet that is not how you describe yourself. You have stated your hormones levels are fine and that you have enough food to eat.

That leaves one item to receive the blame for your own lack of progress. YOU. You have an excuse for everything yet not one of those excuses explains why you haven’t gained even the size that most high school kids see from weight training.

No, I do NOT call that determined. Someone determined makes progress. They force it. They don’t stop until they reach a goal but they are making progress towards it.

Weren’t you going to post pictures? Is there a reason you are still defending yourself yet have not done that?

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Most people shouldn’t need a personal trainer, but after so long without gains, I started to question everything.
[/quote]
It seems like everything here boils down to 6 questions, and these have been answered countless times before. In case you havent got the answers clear, print this and post it all over your walls at home:

Ain’t gaining no mass? Eat more.
Ain’t getting stronger? Train harder.
Feeling fatigued all day? Eat more.
Gaining lots of fat? Train harder.
Still getting much fat? Eat 300kcal less per day.
Still gaining a little fat? Accept it, and be happy for gaining muscle.

okay, so now I’m doing everything incorrectly and I lack determination.

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:
Most people shouldn’t need a personal trainer, but after so long without gains, I started to question everything.

It seems like everything here boils down to 6 questions, and these have been answered countless times before. In case you havent got the answers clear, print this and post it all over your walls at home:

Ain’t gaining no mass? Eat more.
Ain’t getting stronger? Train harder.
Feeling fatigued all day? Eat more.
Gaining lots of fat? Train harder.
Still getting much fat? Eat 300kcal less per day.
Still gaining a little fat? Accept it, and be happy for gaining muscle.[/quote]

what’s the point in training harder when all that happens is I regress? now you’ll say “eat more” - well I was still gaining fat whilst regressing, so now what?

You automatically assume that if I’m gaining fat I’m gaing muscle at the same time which clearly hasn’t happened to me.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
now you’ll say “eat more” - well I was still gaining fat whilst regressing, so now what?
[/quote]
I don’t believe you. IF this is true, a week of deloading could fix some problems.
I’m looking forward to seeing that log, with pictures of you. Then we’ll see what that “fat gain” is.

So you’re saying I’m lying then?

why the fuck would I lie?

okay, so let me get this right - I’m doing everything incorrectly, I lack motivation, I’m insane and now I’m a liar.

What’s next?

No no, you’re not lying. You’re special. VERY special. See, these guys who are all bigger and stronger than you, who are giving you advice on how to get big and strong like them, they just don’t understand you. You are the odd man out. The 0.01%. I understand. I can help. If you purchase my specially tailored for-your-exact-needs plan, you’ll be bigger and stronger in just 12 weeks. Because there’s a special trick to this for you. Really.