Why Can't I Gain Muscle?

5’6 at 200lbs? Jesus Christ that is large. Anybody natty like that in here?

[quote]
“Like, I hear they can only bench maybe 270 lbs.”[/quote]

l-m-f-a-o

[quote]Rippemanewone wrote:

“Like, I hear they can only bench maybe 270 lbs.”

l-m-f-a-o

[/quote]

Ronnie can only dead a measly 800lbs. F$%ktards. One solice is they will stay fat and the rest will stay small and we can mach hump them to show our dominance.

I love this thread.

wannbeBIG wrote:
IF you have:

solid form
decent exercise selection
enough calories
enough rest

Then it is really just a matter of time.

How much time though?

I’ve been training years and still weigh 144lbs!

I know my form is strict, I’ve tried a variety of lifts and focus on compound lifts, I eat well and get enough rest.

It’s been 16 months or so since I last posted in this thread and I’ve made no progress since then.

I weigh 144lbs and press 55kg.

I’ve recentley tried a 2-day-a-week routine in which I used 3-4 lifts per session, using one work set takien to failure. It seemed to work in regaining strength I once had, but when I had that back, I just ended up going backwards.

I managed 107.5kg for 8 reps, but after dropping that routine almost 6 weeks ago, I’m now dealifting 100kg for 8 reps and during that 6 weeks I’ve had 9 days off training completley.

I’ve added 15lbs of fat since February.

All this just takes the piss and I don’t know what to try next!

Dude…Dude… seriously… Dude…

I love this whole statement right here

I’ve been training years and still weigh 144lbs!

I know my form is strict, I’ve tried a variety of lifts and focus on compound lifts, I eat well and get enough rest.

Look here man, i weighed 112lbs 2 years ago and now i weigh 182 naturally without the use of steroids. So sort of speaking i was pretty close to a fuckin ethiopian.

You dont “KNOW” your form is strict, you havnt “TRIED” a variety of lifts and you sure has hell havnt “FOCUSED” on compound lifts and you obviously dont eat enough and dont get enough rest. All those things that you say you “KNOW” you dont… You THINK you do but u dont KNOW. Cause obviously your not growing.

How the fucking hell can someone train for YEARS and stay at the same fucking weight, working out with great intesity and eating a shitload and getting rest… THATS IMPOSSIBLE unless you have a DISEASE.

2 Days a week training is not enough, minimum is 3.

If your not gaining, READ THE FIRST POST OF THIS TOPIC…

YOU EITHER NOT EATING ENOUGH OR YOUR TRAINING IS OFF.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR FUCKING HEADS. DAMN…[/quote]

Look here man, i weighed 112lbs 2 years ago and now i weigh 182 naturally without the use of steroids. So sort of speaking i was pretty close to a fuckin ethiopian.

Good for you man, you obviously have better genetics than me! must feel good making so much progress right from the off and within 2 years. 70lbs in 2 years tells me you have great genetics! congratulations on your progress!

You dont “KNOW” your form is strict, you havnt “TRIED” a variety of lifts and you sure has hell havnt “FOCUSED” on compound lifts and you obviously dont eat enough and dont get enough rest. All those things that you say you “KNOW” you dont… You THINK you do but u dont KNOW. Cause obviously your not growing.

I’ve used two online trainers and a personal trainer who I have trained with in his own gym, he’s seen me lift, right from the first time he saw me train he said there was absolutely nothing wrong with my form. My borther (who has done well in gaining) hesays my form is fine, so I guess my form is good.

I have tried a variety of lifts - as I said I’ve worked with an online trainer for 20 months or so, so you can imagine I will have tried a variety of lifts.

For the last few years I’ve concentrated soley on compound lifts and then at the end of a session I might throw in a set of skulls/curls.

I do eat enough - like I said, I’ve gained 15lbs of fat since February, oh and I’ve also worked with 2 body building nutritionists.

How the fucking hell can someone train for YEARS and stay at the same fucking weight, working out with great intesity and eating a shitload and getting rest… THATS IMPOSSIBLE unless you have a DISEASE.

2 Days a week training is not enough, minimum is 3.

If your not gaining, READ THE FIRST POST OF THIS TOPIC…

YOU EITHER NOT EATING ENOUGH OR YOUR TRAINING IS OFF.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR FUCKING HEADS. DAMN.

I even used gear for 2-3 years including Drol, Dbol, Test E, Test Prop, Sus, EQ and Tren.

Yeah, I know, I shouldn’t have used gear in the first place but after so long without any gains having tried so many different methods of training, I decided to try.

First cycle was sus 500mgs/week, EQ 400mgs/week. I gained 14lbs of fat.

I came off, tinkered with my diet and training waited a while then tried again - same results.

This continued for sometime and each time the same results.

At one point I even went as high as 1750mgs test/week.

I gained some strength while “on” but no noticeable muscle gains, just fat. Iwas eating in the region of 250-350 grams of protein a day, had high carbs and good fats in there also.

I gained on Tren and dbol, I blew up with water retention and gained about 10kg on my bench press, but again, I didn’t see any noticebale muscle gains.

I’ve been as high as 174lbs on a cycle, I dropped down to 164lbs off cycle and remained at that weight for a while, before I decided to get rid of all the fat and returned down to 130lbs and since then I’ve added 15lbs which has all been fat.

While on the gear I trained 3-4 days a week.

I’m begining to think I have abnormal levels of myostatin and/or my CNS isn’t able to handle weight lifting.

[quote]50_Caliber wrote:
I think just about everything has been said already on this thread, but I don’t think I’ve seen very many specifics.

Are you getting at least 150 grams of protein a day, maybe 200 would be better.
(based on a 144 lb. body weight)

You probably need at least 2800 calories, maybe 3500 with about 25% or more of that from protein.

Do you go to failure, maybe hard failure where you simply can’t complete another rep?

Do you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night? I rarely do, but I’ve still gained around 20lbs. in a year with most of that as lean muscle mass.

Do you have good post workout nutrition? Probably should be taking Surge post-workout as it has the right amount of carbs and protein for post-workout nutrition.

If you’re at some type of plateau, then you need to integrate drop sets, isometric holds, etc. into your training.

If you switched up movements with no results, have you given at least 3 months for a program to work?

Switching too much can stop your progress too.

[/quote]

I get 220-260 grams of a protein day (towards the higher end of that on training days)

I’ve recentley been going to failure, and also using negatives and drop sets occassionally, but I ended up going backwards pretty fast - I dropped 17lbs on my dealift and dropped 8 reps on chins while I was training that way on a 2-day-a-week routine.

When I get to bed Ihave to be up in 8.5 hours, and I feel like I’m rested when I wake up so I guess I’m getting enough sleep.

Post workout nutrition - I normmally have 100 grams of simple + complex carbs, and round about 50 grams of protein in my post workout shake.

About an hour and a half later I have a solid meal with 50 grams of carbs and 50 grams of protein.

I get most of my proetin from food and I stay away from processed foods.

and thanks for politely asking those questions and trying to be helpful!

you may be reading the question for the um-teenth time, but the poster is, more often than not, asking it for the first time. if the question is anoying you then click on another thread and let someone else tell them they need to eat more. (yes i agree you are right, they prob just need to eat more)
and like someone else said, don’t mock someones achivements just cos you have achived so much more.

bottom line, some people see the forum as a way to ask people who know what they are talking about for tips. get over it.

"
First cycle was sus 500mgs/week, EQ 400mgs/week. I gained 14lbs of fat"

That is not physiologically possible, unless it was fake.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
"

That is not physiologically possible, unless it was fake.[/quote]

Gear was genuine froma good source.

I’ve used other Tests, but gained no strength at all.

Only gained some strength of Tren and dbol.

I’ve read that some people don’t respond well to gear… maybe I need super high doses… I dunno.

yea…i need to fuckin eat man.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
"

That is not physiologically possible, unless it was fake.

Gear was genuine froma good source.

I’ve used other Tests, but gained no strength at all.

Only gained some strength of Tren and dbol.

I’ve read that some people don’t respond well to gear… maybe I need super high doses… I dunno.
[/quote]

Id say 1750 mgs a week is already a super high dose lol. Well I guess you’re an enigma.

I’m stuck, I’m not sure what to do next (and please don’t say “quit, take up golf” 'cause that aint happening)

Anyone suggest any routines - bareing in mind I’ve just gone completley backwards training to failure on a 2 day a week routine.

I was thinking about trying another CW routine, but I read a post saying they’re for intermediate/advanced trainers - although I’ve been training so long I’d class myself as intermediate, but because I’ve gained hardly any muscle, I don’t even know if I fall into that catergory.

any suggestions?

you think 112lbs is good genetics? dude i weighed less then most fuckin girls do when i was 17 lol… I dont see that as good genetics whatsoever…

I’d say you need to start with the basics. Just choose one exercise like the bench press and stick with a simple 5x5 for a couple of months.

See if you gain any strength at all by focusing on one movement.

After a couple of months try a 5x3 or a 4x6 if no progress occurs, focus on just adding reps and/or weight, experiment to see what works.

You have to at least establish that strength gains are possible.

If not, you should go see a doctor, something is just not working physiologically.

Perhaps two times a week is too much for you to recover from, maybe only 1 day a week is all your body can handle.

Pay attention to soreness and wait until it goes away, then give yourself an extra day just to make sure.

I’m putting on some pretty decent weight right now with a great lifting program, but I know I could be gaining more slabs of muscle. Does anyone has a suggestion for a college kid? I eat 3 times a day at the cafeteria, I eat plenty and clean (as the cafeteria allows me) and I drink a few protein shakes a day.

My only problem is what should I eat when I’m not in the cafeteria. Any suggestions for a poor college student? (money isnt a huge issue but id like to kinda save)

[quote]howie424 wrote:
I’m putting on some pretty decent weight right now with a great lifting program, but I know I could be gaining more slabs of muscle. Does anyone has a suggestion for a college kid? I eat 3 times a day at the cafeteria, I eat plenty and clean (as the cafeteria allows me) and I drink a few protein shakes a day.

My only problem is what should I eat when I’m not in the cafeteria. Any suggestions for a poor college student? (money isnt a huge issue but id like to kinda save)[/quote]

get the unlimited meal plan and get in there 6 times

you think 112lbs is good genetics? dude i weighed less then most fuckin girls do when i was 17 lol… I dont see that as good genetics whatsoever…[/quote]

“you think 112lbs is good genetics?”

whether you weighed 112lbs or 175lbs is irrelevant - the fact that you gained 70lbs in 2 years is what’s re;evant here. You gained 70lbs in 2 years of lifting weights and you think you have bad genetics?

what does everyone else think? does he have had genetics?

if you had weighed 112lbs and gained 5-10lbs in 2 years, I’d think the opposite of that.

I weigh almost the same as you when I was 20 years old, I was round about 112-119lbs.

I probably have a LBW of 110lbs and that’s after 10 years of training (and you think your genetics are bad? lol)

[quote]50_Caliber wrote:
I’d say you need to start with the basics. Just choose one exercise like the bench press and stick with a simple 5x5 for a couple of months.

See if you gain any strength at all by focusing on one movement.

After a couple of months try a 5x3 or a 4x6 if no progress occurs, focus on just adding reps and/or weight, experiment to see what works.

You have to at least establish that strength gains are possible.

If not, you should go see a doctor, something is just not working physiologically.

Perhaps two times a week is too much for you to recover from, maybe only 1 day a week is all your body can handle.

Pay attention to soreness and wait until it goes away, then give yourself an extra day just to make sure.

[/quote]

Thank you for the suggestions :slight_smile:

I don’t really feel soreness much at all and when I do it only lasts a day.

When you say ‘choose one exercise’ - you mean just focus on that one lift alone and dont do anything elese?

Thanks again.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Rippemanewone wrote:
you think 112lbs is good genetics? dude i weighed less then most fuckin girls do when i was 17 lol… I dont see that as good genetics whatsoever…

whether you weighed 112lbs or 175lbs is irrelevant - the fact that you gained 70lbs in 2 years is what’s re;evant here. You gained 70lbs in 2 years of lifting weights and you think you have bad genetics?

if you had weighed 112lbs and gained 5-10lbs in 2 years, I’d think the opposite of that.

I weigh almost the same as you when I was 20 years old, I was round about 112-119lbs.

I probably have a LBW of 110lbs and that’s after 10 years of training (and you think your genetics are bad? lol)

[/quote]

It is not uncommon to gain a lot of weight (a lot of it muscle) if you start out seriously underweight. You can gain a lot of moderate-rep strength fairly fast (if you have your head on straight and diet+routine are up for the task), especially as a younger guy of 18-28 (or so)…
That has little to do with “good genetics”, it’s a matter of getting those exercise poundages up for 5+ reps.
If you use some routine which hinders your strength gains or you don’t eat enough, especially protein, then you will not make that kind of progress.

A guy who starts out at 190 pounds at, say, 5’10 won’t manage to add as much muscle in his first years as a guy of the same height who started at 120 or what-have-you…

I don’t want to insult you, but after 10 years of training it doesn’t seem that you really did things right… Most of us originally skinny guys have terribly fast metabolisms, and guess what, they’ll get even faster once you start eating 6-8 times a day and consume 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight… But what can you do ?

Want to tell us some of your numbers (not 1rm, what you do for 6-10 now vs what you did when you started out… What does your routine and diet look like?) etc, maybe we’ll be able to help you out.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
wannbeBIG wrote:
Rippemanewone wrote:

It is not uncommon to gain a lot of weight (a lot of it muscle) if you start out seriously underweight. You can gain a lot of moderate-rep strength fairly fast (if you have your head on straight and diet+routine are up for the task), especially as a younger guy of 18-28 (or so)…
That has little to do with “good genetics”, it’s a matter of getting those exercise poundages up for 5+ reps.
If you use some routine which hinders your strength gains or you don’t eat enough, especially protein, then you will not make that kind of progress.

A guy who starts out at 190 pounds at, say, 5’10 won’t manage to add as much muscle in his first years as a guy of the same height who started at 120 or what-have-you…

I don’t want to insult you, but after 10 years of training it doesn’t seem that you really did things right… Most of us originally skinny guys have terribly fast metabolisms, and guess what, they’ll get even faster once you start eating 6-8 times a day and consume 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight… But what can you do ?

Want to tell us some of your numbers (not 1rm, what you do for 6-10 now vs what you did when you started out… What does your routine and diet look like?) etc, maybe we’ll be able to help you out.

[/quote]

I know that initial gains are nearly always the best and they slow down after the first couple of years of training, but even still, 70lbs of what looks like LBW in 2 years indicates that his genetics are far from shit… just because he was 112lbs doesn’t mean he has shit genetics.

Everything within his genetic make-up is allowing him gain muscle at a decent rate therefore his genetics seem pretty good for this game and besides, my argument with him is that just because he weighed 112lbs doesn’t mean he’s got shit genetics.

Now about me for a moment - Don’t worry about insulting me, to the people who don’t know me, the people reading the posts by someone who’s spent years training with no success, if I wasn’t me and I was reading those posts I’d think WTF? he must be a real dumb f**ker, or a troll and I probably wouldn’t believe a word he said.

Thing is, I’ve worked with 2 bodybuilding nutrionists, 2 online trainers and a personal trainer who’s actually watched me train over the period of 4 months… so if I’m doing something wrong, then I don’t know what it is and neither do they.

My lifts look like this:

bench 55kg - 10 reps
dead 100kgs - 8 reps
squat 55kg - 20 reps

Those numbers arent far off what I started with, though with bench press it was more like 35kg-40kg, but out of all the lifts, that was the most difficult, but once I got used to the movement and the lift became steady I was able to add weight to the bar.

I was doing a two day a week routine with 4 lifts each day, taking 1 work set to failure and occassionally using drop sets, negatives but ended up going backwards (losing strength) after initially regaining some lost strength.

It just seems that I’m at the point where no matter what I do I’ll not be able to add weight to the bar until I’ve got some more mass behind me which will allow me to lift more… but I need to get stronger to add muscle…sigh

I’ve been pressing 55kg for god knows how long now and no matter what I do, I just can’t get past that point - I just get fat without getting stronger.