Why Can't I Gain Muscle?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
conorh wrote:
If you are an adult male human and can’t bench more then 315, squat more then 405 and pull more then 495 then your smallness is no mystery.

Also, don’t complain about having spagetti arms if you think curling the 50 pound 'bells is good. It isn’t.

Really, this applies to any workout method, exercises, whatever, if you’re not getting stronger month by month YOU ARE WRONG. Correct yourself.

FACT: If you are small, you are probably weak too.

But…what if I want “relative strength” and “functional muscle” and don’t want to get too HEEEYYOOOGE?! I mean, I currently weigh about 145lbs and don’t want to look like Ronnie Coleman. Besides, aren’t bodybuilders weak? That means I could get too huge if I keep lifting the light weights as long as I stay in the 8-12 rep range, right? It isn’t like 20" arms are very strong because I know a guy in my 10th grade class who can bench press 200lbs and he only weighs 140lbs so he has more “relative strength” than Coleman.[/quote]

Strength and size are 66% correlated.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
conorh wrote:
If you are an adult male human and can’t bench more then 315, squat more then 405 and pull more then 495 then your smallness is no mystery.

[/quote]

I agree with the criticism of slackers in this thread. I think the overwhelming point the first poster was getting at when he was mentioning newbies thinking they must

be overtraining
have bad genetics
have low t levels
need supplements etc…

is this:

Many people who start out weightlifting, bodybuilding, whatever have a hard time accepting how hard they have to consistently work to get to where they want to be. You apply enough effort in one direction for a long enough period of time and you WILL get somewhere. The problem here is that people that have no business talking about overtraining and this and that are always posting about a “problem” when their real problem is that they havent been working hard enough or long enough.

IF you have:

solid form
decent exercise selection
enough calories
enough rest

Then it is really just a matter of time.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
conorh wrote:

I agree with the criticism of slackers in this thread. I think the overwhelming point the first poster was getting at when he was mentioning newbies thinking they must

be overtraining
have bad genetics
have low t levels
need supplements etc…

is this:

Many people who start out weightlifting, bodybuilding, whatever have a hard time accepting how hard they have to consistently work to get to where they want to be. You apply enough effort in one direction for a long enough period of time and you WILL get somewhere. The problem here is that people that have no business talking about overtraining and this and that are always posting about a “problem” when their real problem is that they havent been working hard enough or long enough.

IF you have:

solid form
enough calories
enough rest

Then it is really just a matter of time. [/quote]

Especially with those modest number…the overwhelming majority of men should be able to hit those number if they’re willing to put the effort in.

The problem is most men are NOT willing to put the time and effort in, even for those modest goals.

Absolutely, unbelievable. Wannbebig, WOW man!

You need to get with a highly respectable trainer and probably CS (to deal with the mental side).

I could list my education, experience and accomplishments to show the type of trainer I am (but I’ll leave it at that), and you have a huge mental barrier beyond anything else that needs attention.

IF you have:

solid form
enough calories
enough rest

How much time though?

I’ve been training years and still weigh 144lbs!

I know my form is strict, I’ve tried a variety of lifts and focus on compound lifts, I eat well and get enough rest.

It’s been 16 months or so since I last posted in this thread and I’ve made no progress since then.

I weigh 144lbs and press 55kg.

I’ve recentley tried a 2-day-a-week routine in which I used 3-4 lifts per session, using one work set takien to failure. It seemed to work in regaining strength I once had, but when I had that back, I just ended up going backwards.

I managed 107.5kg for 8 reps, but after dropping that routine almost 6 weeks ago, I’m now dealifting 100kg for 8 reps and during that 6 weeks I’ve had 9 days off training completley.

I’ve added 15lbs of fat since February.

All this just takes the piss and I don’t know what to try next!

you workout twice a week and wonder why you are small? Hmmm

Are your 3-4 lifts leg extensions, cable curls, and tricep kick backs. Maybe throw in some situps if you’re feeling risky?

Also, I would consider having a better PWO meal. 3 saltine crackers obviously isn’t cutting it.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

Are your 3-4 lifts leg extensions, cable curls, and tricep kick backs. Maybe throw in some situps if you’re feeling risky?

Also, I would consider having a better PWO meal. 3 saltine crackers obviously isn’t cutting it.[/quote]

You talking to me? I take it you are, so…

You think I’ve not tried anything else in 9 years or so I’ve been training? lol

Don’t jump to conclusions!

I’ve trained 2/3/4 days a week and have found nothing that works!

If you had read my post properly, you will see I said I focus on COMPOUND lifts!

Deads, bench, chins and squats!

You also implied that I don’t eat, well how did you miss the bit in my post where I said I’d gained 15lbs of fat since February?

I suggest you actually read people’s posts fully and properly, think, then reply. Hope you enjoy and use the advice I’ve given to you.

Do something else, this hobby is not for you.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Do something else, this hobby is not for you.[/quote]

why isn’t it?

Even though I lack the gains, I still enjoy going to the gym.

I guarantee if I inserted my mind into your body I could gain over 25 lbs of mostly muscle in a year. Stop telling everyone you’ve tried everything. You sound like a fat housewife that says she’s tried every diet.

What ever you are doing isn’t good enough. I would love to see what type of intensity your bring to your training sessions and then see exactly what you eat on a daily basis.

I guarantee I would find enough smoking guns just by looking at these two areas to finally shut up you up that you haven’t “tried everything”. Stop taking up virtual cyberspace on this site. You are not some special mutant that is incapable of gaining muscle. Now go away.

INTENSITY

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:

[/quote]

These are your exact words. You say you still weigh 144 lb.s implying that you have not gained any weight. Further more, you say you have gained 15 lb.s of fat. That would mean that you have lost 15 lb.s of muscle and replaced it with fat. You need to get to a doctor very fast. You have some rare disease that is going to kill you in a few years. Or you need to eat more.

Your choice: Re-read the very first post on this thread and eat more / work out more or get to a doctor. You decide.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Scott M wrote:

why isn’t it?

[/quote]

Then go to the gym and stay off boards where RESULTS are all that matters, not whether you enjoy this or not.

btw all you guys whining about how tough and mean “Prof.X” is need to realize that hes so disgruntled and dissillusioned with the world because he will tell you what you need to do to gain some quality weight and get stronger but you whiners always come up with some excuse. if youve been lifting for 4 years and you still cant get big you are either:

1. a huge pussy
  2. have a serious illness

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
Scott M wrote:

why isn’t it?

[/quote]

whats the point then? unless you are getting bigger/stronger/faster you are regressing with every second of your pathetic life that passes by. a body in a sedentary state is constantly moving towards oblivion. “maintaining” in reality actually means you are slowly regressing.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

Also, I would consider having a better PWO meal. 3 saltine crackers obviously isn’t cutting it.

You talking to me? I take it you are, so…

You think I’ve not tried anything else in 9 years or so I’ve been training? lol

Don’t jump to conclusions!

I’ve trained 2/3/4 days a week and have found nothing that works!

If you had read my post properly, you will see I said I focus on COMPOUND lifts!

Deads, bench, chins and squats!

You also implied that I don’t eat, well how did you miss the bit in my post where I said I’d gained 15lbs of fat since February?

I suggest you actually read people’s posts fully and properly, think, then reply. Hope you enjoy and use the advice I’ve given to you.

[/quote]
I read most of your posts. You aren’t lifting enough or as intensely as you need too.

I lift 7 days a week almost all the time, taking 1-3 off days a month. Have you tried that? Didn’t think so. You stick with your 2 lifting days a week and see where that takes you.

15 lbs of fat? No muscle whatsoever? If that is the case you are eating enough but aren’t doing shit for a workout. How can you be in this predicament after 9 years of lifting? Seriously start working out 5-7 days a week, use a body part split and see where that takes you.

This whole getting in to shape thing really isn’t that hard if you put in the effort. I can understand your frustration, but cutting back your training to 2 days a week is just foolish.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I was going to reply with this in another thread but the frequency of the “Why cant I gain muscle” whines are becoming annoying to most of the board. We just keep repeating ourselves over and over again to the same under 200lb demographic.

This is the bottom line, hopefully I say it loud enough so future and prospective posters can hear me…!

IF YOU ARE NOT OR CANNOT, GAIN MUSCLE, ARE 5’0"-5’5" HEIGHT AND UNDER 175LBS OR 5’6"-8’0" HEIGHT AND UNDER 200LBS, YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH AND/OR YOUR WORKOUT INTENSITY SUCKS!

Disclaimer: Really fat people are in a different category and should not follow these suggestions.

You are not a hard gainer!

You are not over training!

You dont have bad genetics!

Your testosterone level isnt the culprit!

Steroids are not the answer!

Its not the supplements you are or arent taking!

Contrast showers arent the key!

Its your FOOD INTAKE and/or your WORKOUT INTENSITY/FREQUENCY sucks ass! Thats it. Thats how simple it is. There is nothing else to it!

If you’re not gaining, shut up and try working out for once in your life and stop eating like a little fucking pansy worrying about your 4 pack and looking swole (read: anorexic) for prom/homecoming.

Shut up, lift and fucking eat!

P.S. This doesn’t include people like gottatrain, etc., that have been doing it properly for years and have built their bodies to near perfection! You are not them. Dont EVER use them as an example.[/quote]

AFUCKINGMEN!!!

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
IF you have:

solid form
enough calories
enough rest

How much time though?

I know my form is strict, I’ve tried a variety of lifts and focus on compound lifts, I eat well and get enough rest.

It’s been 16 months or so since I last posted in this thread and I’ve made no progress since then.

I’ve recentley tried a 2-day-a-week routine in which I used 3-4 lifts per session, using one work set takien to failure. It seemed to work in regaining strength I once had, but when I had that back, I just ended up going backwards.

I managed 107.5kg for 8 reps, but after dropping that routine almost 6 weeks ago, I’m now dealifting 100kg for 8 reps and during that 6 weeks I’ve had 9 days off training completley.

All this just takes the piss and I don’t know what to try next![/quote]

Dude…Dude… seriously… Dude…

I love this whole statement right here

[quote]I’ve been training years and still weigh 144lbs!

I know my form is strict, I’ve tried a variety of lifts and focus on compound lifts, I eat well and get enough rest.[/quote]

Look here man, i weighed 112lbs 2 years ago and now i weigh 182 naturally without the use of steroids. So sort of speaking i was pretty close to a fuckin ethiopian.

You dont “KNOW” your form is strict, you havnt “TRIED” a variety of lifts and you sure has hell havnt “FOCUSED” on compound lifts and you obviously dont eat enough and dont get enough rest. All those things that you say you “KNOW” you dont… You THINK you do but u dont KNOW. Cause obviously your not growing.

How the fucking hell can someone train for YEARS and stay at the same fucking weight, working out with great intesity and eating a shitload and getting rest… THATS IMPOSSIBLE unless you have a DISEASE.

2 Days a week training is not enough, minimum is 3.

If your not gaining, READ THE FIRST POST OF THIS TOPIC…

YOU EITHER NOT EATING ENOUGH OR YOUR TRAINING IS OFF.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR FUCKING HEADS. DAMN…

I think just about everything has been said already on this thread, but I don’t think I’ve seen very many specifics.

Are you getting at least 150 grams of protein a day, maybe 200 would be better.
(based on a 144 lb. body weight)

You probably need at least 2800 calories, maybe 3500 with about 25% or more of that from protein.

Do you go to failure, maybe hard failure where you simply can’t complete another rep?

Do you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night? I rarely do, but I’ve still gained around 20lbs. in a year with most of that as lean muscle mass.

Do you have good post workout nutrition? Probably should be taking Surge post-workout as it has the right amount of carbs and protein for post-workout nutrition.

If you’re at some type of plateau, then you need to integrate drop sets, isometric holds, etc. into your training.

If you switched up movements with no results, have you given at least 3 months for a program to work?

Switching too much can stop your progress too.

I went to Smoothie King a few weeks ago - ok, I go once a week almost - and the chubby kid behind the counter took notice that I asked for whey protein in my shake.

“So, like, are you into body building?”

“Sort of.”

“You know body builders aren’t that strong, right?”

“What do you mean?”

“Like, I hear they can only bench maybe 270 lbs.”

“What are you basing that on? Do you think that every body builder has an exact limit such as ‘270 lbs’ ?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it.”

Gee…YOU HAVEN’T THOUGHT ABOUT IT???