Why Can't I Gain Muscle?

Try getting your thyroid checked out. Maybe that’s part of the problem. Maybe cut out a bunch of carbs, and double up the protein. I’d say rule out any medical/mental problems before progressing, if fat piles on you like that.

Ok, I will only post this once for the new people to bodybuilding. Drink this shake every morning with 5 equally spaced time wise meals throughout the day and you will get bigger or you may just have a tap worm.

1 Cup Oats
3 Scoops Whey
1 Cup Maltodextrin ( Complex Carbs Drived from Corn)
2 Tbsp Dextrose ( Corn Sugar)
1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
Some Ice
2% Milk Until the consistency is right.

Blend it all to shit and slam it. Contains almost 2000 Calories and tatses fucking great. For a another great addition add some Ice Cream, I like Turtles.

Bulk Away!

Thanks, pga and professor X. Next time i train i will go as the bb a question. It feels awkward asking them, firstly because thier damn intimidating lol, and second, they always seem busy with thier ‘group’ and lifts. It is unfortunate that i do not have anyone alot stronger to train with.

[quote]Vinny_au wrote:
Thanks, pga and professor X. Next time i train i will go as the bb a question. It feels awkward asking them, firstly because thier damn intimidating lol, and second, they always seem busy with thier ‘group’ and lifts. It is unfortunate that i do not have anyone alot stronger to train with. [/quote]

That’s how you develop your “people skills”. Yes, it may be intimidating at first. I had one kid last night (came in with his mom late at night and couldn’t have been past the 9th grade) try to lift weights on his own. It was clear he didn’t have a clue what he was doing. The image was slightly chubby, glasses with the overall “I sit at the front of the class” look. He kept looking at me like wanted to say something. After he nearly killed himself on the cable triceps pressdown, I walked over and showed him how to do the exercise without immediate death following. The truth is, had he been older, I probably wouldn’t have said anything because most of those guys act like they know everything and that no one can teach them anything new. As long as you don’t have that attitude, you would be surprised how many guys would be willing to help you a little as long as it didn’t interfere with their own workout.

yeah, Im having a number of tests done pretty soon, so we shall see.

if SHBG levels are high then that could be a factor, esepcially if the prolactin levels are high from the medication Ive been taking - that combination could be the root of my problems.

could be thyroid - I will be having that checked, and also liver and kidneys, to make sure theyre both working the way they should be.

Prof X: I can see how he may have psychological issues. What I don’t see is how use of steroids, for example, could be holding him back from making gains. I know a lot of people who’ve used steroids, prematurely and not; none of them seemed to be held back by such use.

I could see how maybe if he was SCARED to use steroids, that might indicate that he was too timid to really attack the weights or some such. But not the other way around. Seems like the only issue he has is that he wants to be bigger too badly. Never heard of that holding anyone back.

Wannabe: I think that you may have some sort of absorption issue, which means that although technically you’re eating enough to make gains, the food that you put into your mouth may not be getting broken down and absorbed into your system. Specifically, if you’re gaining fat and no muscle, you may have some type of selective digestion inhibition or problem that prevents you from metabolizing protein (but not carbs, for example). Certain enzymes in your digestive tract break down certain macronutrients, and if you lack one or another of them the basically your body isn’t getting what it needs, no matter what you may be eating. This is actually a very common problem among older lifters, but it’s certainly not unknown among younger ones.

I would have this tested if you’re looking to go that route. However, before you spend a lot of money doing that, why don’t you try checking at your local GNC and picking up a basic digestive enzyme supplement? Get something with papain in it to start and try taking a few pills with every meal. It should be cheap. If that doesn’t work, maybe your doctor can recommend something more specific after testing has been done.

PGA: See, this is why I put that three-year stipulation in there. I guess I should have said something about a good sample of people you worked with as well. If all you’ve trained are overweight housewives, who would make a positive bodycomp change just by getting up off the couch, then okay, maybe you did get 100% results. As you say, it’s not that difficult. But that has nothing really to do with this thread. You have people here who are already into weights and nutrition, who have been training (like Wannabe) for six years and who are having problems. I ask you, who have you trained for six years? Or, how many clients have you worked with who have had more than six years worth of experience and come to you for advice? My guess is, very few if any. And that’s why I don’t think that you’re qualified to say the things you’re saying on this thread. (In addition, of course, to just plain being wrong.)

Comments like “You’re taking the one percent…” just makes this more glaringly obvious. It’s a lot more than one percent, and it’s not always due to some medical condition. Which you would know for yourself if you had any real depth of training experience - but you don’t.

Go ahead, call me a liar again. Then you can email CP and call him one too, since he’s saying the number is 40% or thereabouts. Just be sure to post his response here, mmkay?

[quote]char-dawg wrote:
Go ahead, call me a liar again. Then you can email CP and call him one too, since he’s saying the number is 40% or thereabouts. Just be sure to post his response here, mmkay?[/quote]

40% of people in the world cannot make changes in their body composition and strength? If CP says that I’m calling bullshit. Link me to him saying that. I would be very interested in reading his reasoning behind that. My guess is you’re reading it wrong and he’s talking about making professional level changes NOT everyday Joes and Janes.

I trained people that “calimed” they have been training for years and years, you know what, they had been training exactly like I described here. I have never come across anybody that has not been able to make changes in strength or composition, being a personal trainer or outside of it.

"Wannabe: I think that you may have some sort of absorption issue, which means that although technically you’re eating enough to make gains, the food that you put into your mouth may not be getting broken down and absorbed into your system. Specifically, if you’re gaining fat and no muscle, you may have some type of selective digestion inhibition or problem that prevents you from metabolizing protein (but not carbs, for example). Certain enzymes in your digestive tract break down certain macronutrients, and if you lack one or another of them the basically your body isn’t getting what it needs, no matter what you may be eating. This is actually a very common problem among older lifters, but it’s [QUOTE]certainly not unknown among younger ones.

I would have this tested if you’re looking to go that route. However, before you spend a lot of money doing that, why don’t you try checking at your local GNC and picking up a basic digestive enzyme supplement? Get something with papain in it to start and try taking a few pills with every meal. It should be cheap. If that doesn’t work, maybe your doctor can recommend something more specific after testing has been done"

thanks alot for that! - that’s another direction for me to go looking in!!

I’d love this to be the case (providing it can be rectified of course!!)

if that was the case, and it was addressed and rectified and I carried on training and eating the way I have and actually saw positive changes in the mirror, Id love to come back and have a little giggle at proffx! lol

thanks again mate, I’ve noted what you have said.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:

Link me to him saying that. [/quote]

I believe this is the article he meant.

http://www.T-Nation.com/...05-041-training

Personally, I don’t think it applies to the issue at hand without restrictions, but interesting nevertheless.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Link me to him saying that.

Personally, I don’t think it applies to the issue at hand without restrictions, but interesting nevertheless.
[/quote]

Mike, the links not working.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Mike, the links not working.[/quote]

Strange. I’ll try again…
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-041-training

char-dawg, just one more thing - why did you mention papain? anything special about it?

I’ve been looking at digestive enzymes and found these, would appreciate it if you took a look.

www.myprotein.co.uk/now-foods/digestive-aids/digestive-aids.cfm

PGA200X wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Strange. I’ll try again…
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-041-training[/quote]
Do you think it’s that one?? I’ll hang on and wait because that one says absolutely nothing about ‘40% of people’, it just says two different types of trainee suck melons.

[quote]t-ha wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Strange. I’ll try again…
Do you think it’s that one?? I’ll hang on and wait because that one says absolutely nothing about ‘40% of people’, it just says two different types of trainee suck melons.
[/quote]
It’s the only one I know of that goes in that direction. Basically, you could say two “elements” out of five are roughly 40% if the distribution is fairly equal. As stated before, I don’t consider the article applicable without restrictions to what is being discussed here, but we’ll see. Maybe I was just a little overzealous. Let’s wait what Char-dawg has to say…

t-ha wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Strange. I’ll try again…

It’s the only one I know of that goes in that direction. Basically, you could say two “elements” out of five are roughly 40% if the distribution is fairly equal. As stated before, I don’t consider the article applicable without restrictions to what is being discussed here, but we’ll see. Maybe I was just a little overzealous. Let’s wait what Char-dawg has to say…[/quote]

If people are taking these articles that literally, there is a much larger problem than I thought.

PGA200X wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Strange. I’ll try again…
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-041-training[/quote]

I hope thats not what he’s basing his 40% comment on…

It’s the only one I know of that goes in that direction. Basically, you could say two “elements” out of five are roughly 40% if the distribution is fairly equal. As stated before, I don’t consider the article applicable without restrictions to what is being discussed here, but we’ll see. Maybe I was just a little overzealous. Let’s wait what Char-dawg has to say…[/quote]

I think CP was saying that 2 of the 5 elements suck at putting on muscle mass. I dont think that it mentioned anywhere that there was an equal distribution of elements amongst the population.

[quote]cirque wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
It’s the only one I know of that goes in that direction. Basically, you could say two “elements” out of five are roughly 40% if the distribution is fairly equal. As stated before, I don’t consider the article applicable without restrictions to what is being discussed here, but we’ll see. Maybe I was just a little overzealous. Let’s wait what Char-dawg has to say…

I think CP was saying that 2 of the 5 elements suck at putting on muscle mass. I dont think that it mentioned anywhere that there was an equal distribution of elements amongst the population.
[/quote]
Agreed but that’s not quite the point I was trying to make. It was simply one of the reasons I presumed Char-dawg was alluding to that particualr article as it is the only one I know which - at least under the above-mentioned assumtions - would have some relevance to the topic.

Dude if I was really a metal type I wouldn’t be fucking lifting weights. I’d be too busy wrecking people’s shit with my unbreakable metal body.

[quote]wannbeBIG wrote:
char-dawg, just one more thing - why did you mention papain? anything special about it?

I’ve been looking at digestive enzymes and found these, would appreciate it if you took a look.

www.myprotein.co.uk/now-foods/digestive-
aids/digestive-aids.cfm[/quote]

Take a look at this link for an explanation of proteolytic enzymes and a few of the choices available. http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1331 If you do a little Google reading on the subject, you’ll see what I mean.

As for any specific supplement, in my experience one papain supp is pretty much like another in terms of quality. However, different people certainly react differently depending on a number of factors, so try a couple different types (and give each one 2-3 weeks) before you decide that digestion isn’t the problem.