Why Cant I Bench More

LOL @ the “deload crew”.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL @ the “deload crew”.[/quote]

I read some of PX’s posts about how he would usually only have 2 or 3 days off a month, while studying in school and not getting as much sleep as he “should”. Ever since I’ve tried to apply the same work ethic, I’ve been making much better progress. Deloading has never done much good for me, it always messes with my head.

And to echoe what was said above: if his other lifts are going up, I’m going to assume his CNS isn’t “fried”. Maybe change your rep ranges, try pyramid sets like Akuma said and ditch the straight sets. Also, strength sometimes comes in bursts. So just relax, be happy your squat and deadlift are coming up.

Given that other lifts are up a full deload is probably not necessary. Backing off the bench a little might be though. That depends on how much benching there is in this guys program, and how he structures the balance between frequency, volume and intensity. I know a lot of you like to think that always working harder is the solution to everything, but sometimes that’s just bravado, not reality. While you can get away with a lot of volume, too much intensity kills progress fast. There really is such a thing as trying too hard. I see it all the time at our gym.

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

I read some of PX’s posts about how he would usually only have 2 or 3 days off a month, while studying in school and not getting as much sleep as he “should”. Ever since I’ve tried to apply the same work ethic, I’ve been making much better progress. Deloading has never done much good for me, it always messes with my head.

And to echoe what was said above: if his other lifts are going up, I’m going to assume his CNS isn’t “fried”. Maybe change your rep ranges, try pyramid sets like Akuma said and ditch the straight sets. Also, strength sometimes comes in bursts. So just relax, be happy your squat and deadlift are coming up.[/quote]

x2. I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for bench for over 5 months and have skipped the “deload/light session” week every single week. I eat a lot so my body doesn’t ask for it. In my almost 3 years training I’ve never taken a week off for the sake of it. I usually don’t work out when I go on vacation and that already seems like too much time off for me.

Edit: I’ll add I’m in the weaker end of intermediate. If my work sets were in the 400’s, I might feel a little different about deload weeks. I’d defer to the stronger guys on here once we’re talking about weights that heavy.

So let me see if I understand your program; you don’t increase weight on a lift until you go from 5 to 8 reps for 3 sets? If that’s the case, it sounds retarded and it’s no surprise that you’re stalling.

First, 8 rep sets are not optimal for gaining strength, nor is doing the same weight for 3 or more sets. This is easily fixed. Stay at 5 reps, and ramp the weight as you go from one set to the next. If you’re really concerned about strength, you should only care about getting 5 reps at a certain weight for one set. When you do, you add 5 pounds, repeat. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve seen stall at a weight for ages because they’re doing 5x5 and went 5,5,5,5,4 at the same weight and won’t move up. It’s asinine.

And yea, most beginning/intermediate trainees need a deload like I need a hole in the head.

Don’t fuck with us lol.

What would you recommend X? I read in your training thread that you’ve driven to the gym, parked, then immediately turned around and went home because you didn’t feel ready to workout. How often would you say you do that?

I wouldn’t go from 215 to 225. I would go like 205 to 225 or even 195 to 225. If 225 is your sticking point you’re doing pretty high load right before trying your max. That and have someone that knows how to bench not only spot you but yell at you stuff like “stay tight” “push” “flare those fuckin elbows” etc… its amazing what that type of dynamic can do for a lift.

[quote]JonnyLongboard wrote:
Okay first workout did 3 sets of 5 with 215. Worked with that till I could do 3 sets of eight. Stepped up to 225 for 3X5 and here’s how the sets have went from then 6,6,7 - 7,7,6 - 8,7,6 - 7,6,6 - 6,7,5 - 8,6, 275 X 3/4, 225x3. What the fuck is going on? Why am I stuck. All my other lifts keep increasing. And flat bench is the lift ive done the least of in my lifting career. So I shouldnt be at a plateau yet. I just dont understand how my body is not adapting to the weight.

How the fuck am I going to adhear to the principal of progressive overload if im not getting stronger in the lift. How the fuck can I get stronger if I cant get stronger. It doesnt even make logical sense. How the fuck can I not even do the same as I did the last workout. Its going down instead of up. Im not a fucking idiot. I study alot of shit and I bust my ass in the gym, im eatin over 4000 cals a day with a good protein to carb ratio. I dont eat any man made bullshit, no sugar, drink lots of water I make my own meal replacement bars I dont drink smoke or party. Im not gettin as much sleep as I should. But like I said all my other lifts are going up. I know it takes time. But why is my strength in the bench not slowy progressing. Its always just as hard as it was the time before or harder.

Id really appreciate some good constructive critisicm.
Thanks [/quote]

theres an old West side saying i heard along time ago. if you want to increase your bench, don’t bench. what Louis Simmons meant by that, is your body adapts to the movement. so he has his guys switch up exercises all the time. if your bench is stuck, which it is, try doing reverse grip benches or close grip benches or inclines or maybe even dips. do something different.

[quote]Meal Ticket wrote:

Don’t fuck with us lol.

What would you recommend X? I read in your training thread that you’ve driven to the gym, parked, then immediately turned around and went home because you didn’t feel ready to workout. How often would you say you do that?[/quote]
There are days when I wish I’d done that. And then there are days that I felt like poo, but felt better after warming up and had a great workout. I’m starting to learn the difference.

After another decade or so, I’ll probably be able to understand what my body is telling me, and won’t have to guess so much.

For the record, I agree with HeavyTriple. Ramp your sets and keep the weight moving up, not the reps. Somebody also mentioned rest times, which is a good thing to keep an eye on.

Like people have said, there are lots of possible reasons for your plateau. Try different reps/sets/weights/exercises. Lower reps tend have more benefits for strength, so working with eight reps at the same weight isn’t that effective for building strength.

If you’re stuck at 225, it could just be psychological. Jumping from 210 to 215 is easy. From 260 to 265 is. But for some reason, people seem to have problems with the “milestones,” like 225, 300, 315, etc. Hell, maybe put on 235 with a 45, 35, 10, and 5 just so you’re not looking at two wheels. I’m no expert, but if it really is all in your head, this could help.

I had this very same problem, all my other lifts were going up But my bench press was stuck for around 9 months. I tried benching once, twice, or three times a week. I couldn’t figure it out. I eventually talked to Bill Pearl (I had trained with him for a few months up at “The Barn”) about my problem he said,
“You’re simply heading down a slippery slope, You’re so focused on this one lift when theres so many others around, you’re going to beat yourself to death if you don’t take a different mental approach. Start each lift day with a positive attitude and really tell yourself that this is what you want to do.” This isn’t word for word EXACTLY what he said, but you get the idea.

For me the problem was entirely psychological, I switched to Bill Pearls “Building Bulk and power” program, which is a full body workout 3x per week, and just remained positive. If you don’t make that lift today, you will next time. Now my bench is on the slow, but upward climb.
My advice to you is to keep a positive outlook on your bench press, but don’t beat yourself up about it for that will just cause more issues. If your diet and training are in check, all you really have left is your mind.

How often are you benching? And what are you doing on your training days leading up to “bench” day?

[quote]roguevampire wrote:

[quote]JonnyLongboard wrote:
Okay first workout did 3 sets of 5 with 215. Worked with that till I could do 3 sets of eight. Stepped up to 225 for 3X5 and here’s how the sets have went from then 6,6,7 - 7,7,6 - 8,7,6 - 7,6,6 - 6,7,5 - 8,6, 275 X 3/4, 225x3. What the fuck is going on? Why am I stuck. All my other lifts keep increasing. And flat bench is the lift ive done the least of in my lifting career. So I shouldnt be at a plateau yet. I just dont understand how my body is not adapting to the weight.

How the fuck am I going to adhear to the principal of progressive overload if im not getting stronger in the lift. How the fuck can I get stronger if I cant get stronger. It doesnt even make logical sense. How the fuck can I not even do the same as I did the last workout. Its going down instead of up. Im not a fucking idiot. I study alot of shit and I bust my ass in the gym, im eatin over 4000 cals a day with a good protein to carb ratio. I dont eat any man made bullshit, no sugar, drink lots of water I make my own meal replacement bars I dont drink smoke or party. Im not gettin as much sleep as I should. But like I said all my other lifts are going up. I know it takes time. But why is my strength in the bench not slowy progressing. Its always just as hard as it was the time before or harder.

Id really appreciate some good constructive critisicm.
Thanks [/quote]

theres an old West side saying i heard along time ago. if you want to increase your bench, don’t bench. what Louis Simmons meant by that, is your body adapts to the movement. so he has his guys switch up exercises all the time. if your bench is stuck, which it is, try doing reverse grip benches or close grip benches or inclines or maybe even dips. do something different. [/quote]
This is right. I actually think flat bench is a shitty chest exercise, at least for me. It grows best when i do other lifts.

[quote]Forte wrote:
I actually think flat bench is a shitty chest exercise, at least for me. It grows best when i do other lifts. [/quote]
I like the quote “Bench press is not a chest exercise, it is a horizontal pushing exercise”. My chest just happens to grow fine from it, but that’s not why I bench. I bench to get stronger.

“Bench press is an important lift… because it teaches us to push on stuff real hard” - Mark Rippetoe