T Nation

Why Blacks Dominate All Sports

http://blackathlete.net/artman2/publish/Track_amp_Field_36/Why_Black_Athletes_Dominate_Sports_and_Why_We_re_A_188.shtml

great read.

But they don’t…

[quote]1000rippedbuff wrote:
I didn’t read the article[/quote]

NHL Ice Hockey…

Swimming…

Just silly.

i questi that guys credentials. i mean, he’s talking about scientific shit, but doesn’t seem to have any background in science. he also mentions that whites dominate weightlifting because they naturally have more upper body strength. well, enough said.

The article really contradicts itself in saying blacks dominate all and then admitting that it’s just some sports that are like that, although some of it is very significant relative to population. Especially NBA.

It’s funny that the left leaning type crowd will like to boast about black athletic achievement and yet as this article demonstrates are sort of scared to say, at the same time, that race might have something to do with it as race is supposed to be a social construct and then somebody might raise unflattering questions regarding race.

Personally, I always thought Grant Hill sucked.

[quote]Ricochet wrote:
NHL Ice Hockey…

Swimming…

Just silly.[/quote]

I started to list about 15 of the top Olympic male swimmers (white), then realised you were probably kidding haha.

The article talks almost exclusively about running. Is that the only sport? I think the article is pretty weak - it isn’t pointing out anything we don’t already know and accept. Yes, there is a genetic predisposition for Kenyans and surrounding citizens to have more slow twitch fibers and thus have increased aerobic capacity. Therefore, they run faster.

How is this dominating every sport and people being afraid to talk about it?

Article fail.

I suck at basketball and am awesome at lacrosse. What does this prove? Nothing. Just like this dumb article.

Uh… did no one actually read the article. The article never makes the claim ALL sports. He very specifically talks about running.

Genetics is a huge deal in the upper levels of sport. One thing he doesnâ??t mention that is a huge genetic advantage for the distance runners is circulatory system. They actually have higher blood vessel density in their muscle allowing them more aerobic capacity. Things like that you just canâ??t train.

When they first started studying this they actually had Kenyan high schoolers beating the times of European champions.

Thatâ??s okay though, us white guys still have strongman.

Socioeconomic factors, Sports cultural prevelance within a given country and so on…

[quote]Alffi wrote:
The article really contradicts itself in saying blacks dominate all and then admitting that it’s just some sports that are like that, although some of it is very significant relative to population. Especially NBA.

It’s funny that the left leaning type crowd will like to boast about black athletic achievement and yet as this article demonstrates are sort of scared to say, at the same time, that race might have something to do with it as race is supposed to be a social construct and then somebody might raise unflattering questions regarding race.
[/quote]

When people in anthropological circles say that race is a social construct, they usually do not mean what you think they mean. (And I’m not sure why you picked on the left, but I guess that says more about your opinions than anything) It is not to imply that ethnic groups do not generally have some traits which are more common within them than in others, or even exclusive.

It IS to imply (IMO) that the current definition of race is not an objective scientific one… rather an arbitrary social one by whoever’s mindset happens to be most prominent at the time. You needn’t look too far in history to see these arbitrary classifications can pollute even medical science, e.g the classification of skull types into mongoloid, caucasoid and negroid. Useless arbitrary classifications are actually shown to be erroneous in the article too; the comparison between East and West Africans show remarkable differences, yet to the average person with the social construct definition of race, they would all be “black” or “Africans”. Of course there is some use for these categorisations, that’s how the human mind works, it’s just a shame some people (not you) put too much stock into discredited science when it comes to race.

And just to give you an example, living in the UK, I know quite a few people that have called me “not white”. It is a very strange thing to me, since my ancestors were the founders of the concept of European culture and I do not have an extremely dark skintone. To them, being white equalled = being a fair skinned northern european. That just goes to show you how people conveive these things so differently = social construct.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Uh… did no one actually read the article. The article never makes the claim ALL sports. He very specifically talks about running.

Genetics is a huge deal in the upper levels of sport. One thing he doesnâ??t mention that is a huge genetic advantage for the distance runners is circulatory system. They actually have higher blood vessel density in their muscle allowing them more aerobic capacity. Things like that you just canâ??t train.

When they first started studying this they actually had Kenyan high schoolers beating the times of European champions.

Thatâ??s okay though, us white guys still have strongman.
[/quote]

Q: Why are black people so fast at running?
A: because they are always running from the cops

Definitely uncalled for.

[quote]chuckaboo86 wrote:

Q: Why are black people so fast at running?
A: because they are always running from the cops

Definitely uncalled for.[/quote]

If that were true I’d be like Usain Bolt.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
chuckaboo86 wrote:

Q: Why are black people so fast at running?
A: because they are always running from the cops

Definitely uncalled for.

If that were true I’d be like Usain Bolt.[/quote]

… If it were true Usain Bolt wouldn’t have shit on me.

Is it really any more controversial to consider the possibility of genetic differences between ethnic groups than to suggest that athletes of certain ethnic groups don’t work as hard (lazier)? If you think about the standard line, “Athletes of ethnic group X outperform the athletes of other ethnic groups in [chosen sport] because they work harder,” doesn’t it breathe new life into, “students of ethnic group X outperform students of other ethnic groups in academics because they work harder?” That’s just swapping a biological argument for a stereotype. Is the stereotype true? Can stereotypes then be logical and useful?

I think the author is being shy about the whole science of race idea because of the acceptance in society of racial superiority in subject fields. This was dogma that was at the foundation of the Nazi regime in the 1940’s. There would also be fear that this science would be fuel for the fire when dealing with racists groups and organizations to further there own cause.

Personally I think that the science should be done because we could discover cures for illnesses that generally effect certain races. Although I would not like to see it used to further hateful racist dogma.

I wish I had black genetics.

Yea, I said it.

[quote]DOHCrazy2 wrote:
I wish I had black genetics.

Yea, I said it.[/quote]

Muscle wise, there are black lines on either end of the spectrum, you might have been a skinny, slow twitch Kenyan.

I dominated the wrestling mat

cuz

white girls liked it

Red Head Bunnies FTW!