T Nation

Why Baseball And Nascar?

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
jimmyjames66 wrote:
How the hell is this our supposed american pastime? It is boring as hell. “Ball, ball, foul tip, strike, ball, oh woopy doo he got a single” It is so slow paced and drawn out, not to mention there are 300 games a year. How can people really get into this? I mean sure they need hand-eye coordination but that’s it! !

I mean David fat ass Ortiz perhaps plays a whole 15 minutes of a 3 and a half hour game, I am clearly not impressed with his athleticism. On to Nascar. What is there to say really? I mean 30 cars turn left for 3 hours. You must be severely impaired intellectually to get into this so called sport. And please dont tell me you watch with the anticipation of crashes, that is just so god damn deranged and sadistic.

I will let that disparaging remark about Big Papi go. Just this once. Next time, there will be hell to pay.[/quote]

Screw that. I love baseball, and I’m a diehard Red Sox fan.

He’s not an athlete? The guy spends hours upon hours every year working out the mechanics of his swing, down to the tiniest nuance. He’s a big, powerful guy that does what they want him to do- hit the fucking ball hard and play first base once in a while. I doubt most people here have put anywhere near that effort into being perfect in anything (I sure know that I haven’t).

So are marathon runners not athletes because it’s boring to you?

Or are powerlifters not athletes because they can’t run a mile?

What exactly fits your criteria Mr. Athletic?

Although I agree with you about Nascar.

I agree that baseball is a little slow pased…
so i dont watch it much…

i prefer violence in my sports
(UFC,boxing, hockey, football,etc)

But as far as Nascar goes,
if you think it’s just a bunch of cars going around in a circle and that’s all there is to it.

then you dont understand it at all.

I have heard that many times from people, and i used to think the same thing myself. but i can assure you there is more to it than that.

It’s a very technical thing, even something so small as a 1/2 pound air pressure change in 1 tire can totally change the way the car handles.

there are a million things that affect how a car drives. and half of those are tweak-able things.

not to mention that every track is different and each of those million tweakable things, all work differently depending on what track you are on.

now add in weather, weather and temps can totally change everything around…

there is a lot more to it than that, but the point is, it’s not just some guys driving around in a circle @ 200mph’

oh yeah the wrecks are cool to watch to.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
swordthrower wrote:
jimmyjames66 wrote:
How the hell is this our supposed american pastime? It is boring as hell. “Ball, ball, foul tip, strike, ball, oh woopy doo he got a single” It is so slow paced and drawn out, not to mention there are 300 games a year. How can people really get into this? I mean sure they need hand-eye coordination but that’s it! !

I mean David fat ass Ortiz perhaps plays a whole 15 minutes of a 3 and a half hour game, I am clearly not impressed with his athleticism. On to Nascar. What is there to say really? I mean 30 cars turn left for 3 hours. You must be severely impaired intellectually to get into this so called sport. And please dont tell me you watch with the anticipation of crashes, that is just so god damn deranged and sadistic.

I will let that disparaging remark about Big Papi go. Just this once. Next time, there will be hell to pay.

Screw that. I love baseball, and I’m a diehard Red Sox fan.

He’s not an athlete? The guy spends hours upon hours every year working out the mechanics of his swing, down to the tiniest nuance. He’s a big, powerful guy that does what they want him to do- hit the fucking ball hard and play first base once in a while. I doubt most people here have put anywhere near that effort into being perfect in anything (I sure know that I haven’t).

So are marathon runners not athletes because it’s boring to you?

Or are powerlifters not athletes because they can’t run a mile?

What exactly fits your criteria Mr. Athletic?

Although I agree with you about Nascar. [/quote]

Yes marathon running is dull to watch, but let us be honest, it takes more athleticism than baseball. My criteria of an athlete is someone who puts a considerable amount of physical effort in throughout a contest.Hockey does this. Basketball. Football. Soccer. Running.

Sure baseball does it too, but only for a limited time and even then SOME of the players still do not put forth any physical effort. Hell, I consider P-lifting and O-lifting more of sports than baseball, just based upon the physcial demand.

And basketball and football, etc. are just so exciting? I have nothing against either, but it’s from your own perspective. Me, raised with baseball, can sit and watch a full game and love it. Defend the sports you think are so interesting so we can say how boring and unathletic they are.

“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes…That way, you’re a mile away and have their shoes.” lol

[quote]blitzkrg wrote:
I agree that baseball is a little slow pased…
so i dont watch it much…

i prefer violence in my sports
(UFC,boxing, hockey, football,etc)

But as far as Nascar goes,
if you think it’s just a bunch of cars going around in a circle and that’s all there is to it.

then you dont understand it at all.

I have heard that many times from people, and i used to think the same thing myself. but i can assure you there is more to it than that.

It’s a very technical thing, even something so small as a 1/2 pound air pressure change in 1 tire can totally change the way the car handles.

there are a million things that affect how a car drives. and half of those are tweak-able things.

not to mention that every track is different and each of those million tweakable things, all work differently depending on what track you are on.

now add in weather, weather and temps can totally change everything around…

there is a lot more to it than that, but the point is, it’s not just some guys driving around in a circle @ 200mph’

oh yeah the wrecks are cool to watch to.
[/quote]

Everything you said is right. There is more to Nascar than just driving around in circles. It takes technique and strategy among other things. However, the fan does not participate in these strategies and has to simply sit and watch these cars literally driving in circles for an extended period of time.

If one is not participating in this, I find it hard to enjoy. And again, very little PHYSICAL demand or ATHLETIC skill is involved.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
I agree.

I hate Nascar.

I hate baseball.

I hate basketball…I detest the “BALLA” subculture.

I tolerate American Football, I am fascinated by the strength training methods of Football Players.

The only sports I follow are:

Strength Sports: Strongman-P-lifting & O-lifting.

MMA- UFC/Pride

Women’s Figure Skating…Seriously.[/quote]

I too hate this “Balla” sub culture, but I still love to watch the game itself. Who the fuck cares about the clothes the players wear, the music they listen to, or the attitudes they present? I just love to sit and watch a basketball game period.

[quote]swivel wrote:
swordthrower wrote:
jimmyjames66 wrote:

I will let that disparaging remark about Big Papi go. Just this once. Next time, there will be hell to pay.

yes, clearly there’s nothing impressive about being one of the best in the world at what you do. [/quote]

So wait does this mean that the best chess player in the world is an athlete simply because he is the best at what he does?

Ok, sure I am impressed that he may be the best home run hitter in the world or whatever, but the man barely puts forth any physical effort throughout a game. compared to any linebacker, b-ball player, or hockey player, Ortiz is by far the least athletic of the bunch. I have more respect for Andy fucking Roddick as an athlete than I do for fatty Ortiz.

[quote]NATE21 wrote:
And basketball and football, etc. are just so exciting? I have nothing against either, but it’s from your own perspective. Me, raised with baseball, can sit and watch a full game and love it. Defend the sports you think are so interesting so we can say how boring and unathletic they are.

“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes…That way, you’re a mile away and have their shoes.” lol[/quote]
With regards to the quote:sure they have a SKILL of some sort, I am not denying them that. But it just is not that much of an athletic skill.

[quote]jimmyjames66 wrote:
NATE21 wrote:

“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes…That way, you’re a mile away and have their shoes.” lol
With regards to the quote:sure they have a SKILL of some sort, I am not denying them that. But it just is not that much of an athletic skill.
[/quote]

Then I guess you missed the Battle of the Gridiron Stars episode where they displayed their athletic skills in a shortened field home run derby.

Baseball went out for me when they went on strike. Bunch of over paid pussies wanted more money. At the time I think the bench warmers made $100,000 a year.

I also feel baseball plays too many games. After about 60-70 games, I forget about baseball and start wondering when football spring training starts. Instead of 162 cut it down to a 100.

As far as NASCAR goes I watched a complete race once and 80% of it was yellow flag. So I watched a bunch of guys making left turns at cruising speed the whole time. Next time I’ll just watch paint dry.

You complain about baseball and bring up Ortiz? It seems like your problem should be with the DH (don’t get me started on what I think about that).

While I will agree that most regular season baseball games can be difficult to watch, there is nothing like the three plus hours of sustained tension in the playoff games. A baseball game can change momentum faster (in game terms, not time) than any sport.

[quote]jimmyjames66 wrote:
yes, clearly there’s nothing impressive about being one of the best in the world at what you do.

So wait does this mean that the best chess player in the world is an athlete simply because he is the best at what he does? [/quote]

no, it means his achievements deserve respect. ortiz is at a level where any team in baseball would employ him in a second. if you don’t think that deserves respect you’re a punk. there’s not an accomplished athelete in any sport who doesn’t respect david ortiz. or gary kasparov for that matter.[quote]

Ok, sure I am impressed that he may be the best home run hitter in the world or whatever,

[/quote] or whatever ? and it’s not just home runs it’s clutch hitting. [quote]

but the man barely puts forth any physical effort throughout a game.

[/quote] and yet he’s an alcs mvp and was nearly league mvp. i mean what else is there for a player to do ? the fact that he does it with “barely any effort” exemplifies his love of the american dream. not to mention your own myopia as doing it without effort is the goal of every athlete. [quote]

compared to any linebacker, b-ball player, or hockey player, Ortiz is by far the least athletic of the bunch. I have more respect for Andy fucking Roddick as an athlete than I do for fatty Ortiz. [/quote]

good god who cares ? lots of people are more athletic than ortiz. in fact lots of people are more athletic than most professional athletes. you seem to be making an argument that people who run around more deserve more respect. and if you want to give it to them for that you’re out of the loop. the rest of the world gives respect for winning. bottom line.