Why Baseball And Nascar?

How the hell is this our supposed american pastime? It is boring as hell. “Ball, ball, foul tip, strike, ball, oh woopy doo he got a single” It is so slow paced and drawn out, not to mention there are 300 games a year. How can people really get into this? I mean sure they need hand-eye coordination but that’s it! !

I mean David fat ass Ortiz perhaps plays a whole 15 minutes of a 3 and a half hour game, I am clearly not impressed with his athleticism. On to Nascar. What is there to say really? I mean 30 cars turn left for 3 hours. You must be severely impaired intellectually to get into this so called sport. And please dont tell me you watch with the anticipation of crashes, that is just so god damn deranged and sadistic.

““How the hell is this our supposed american pastime?””

Because it is fun as hell to play! You player. I have to agree with your assesment of NASCAR and left turns. lol!

[quote]jimmyjames66 wrote:
How the hell is this our supposed american pastime? It is boring as hell. “Ball, ball, foul tip, strike, ball, oh woopy doo he got a single” It is so slow paced and drawn out, not to mention there are 300 games a year. How can people really get into this? I mean sure they need hand-eye coordination but that’s it!

I mean David fat ass Ortiz perhaps plays a whole 15 minutes of a 3 and a half hour game, I am clearly not impressed with his athleticism. On to Nascar. What is there to say really? I mean 30 cars turn left for 3 hours. You must be severely impaired intellectually to get into this so called sport. And please dont tell me you watch with the anticipation of crashes, that is just so god damn deranged and sadistic. [/quote]

I have to agree; I hate watching either of these sports on TV. I do enjoy going to these events though; the atmosphere is fun and I like to watch people act retarded and stuff. Plus really hot chicks can be found at these venues.

How the hell is this our supposed american pastime? It is boring as hell. “Ball, ball, foul tip, strike, ball, oh woopy doo he got a single” It is so slow paced and drawn out, not to mention there are 300 games a year. How can people really get into this? I mean sure they need hand-eye coordination but that’s it!

I mean David fat ass Ortiz perhaps plays a whole 15 minutes of a 3 and a half hour game, I am clearly not impressed with his athleticism. On to Nascar. What is there to say really? I mean 30 cars turn left for 3 hours. You must be severely impaired intellectually to get into this so called sport. And please dont tell me you watch with the anticipation of crashes, that is just so god damn deranged and sadistic. [/quote]

I agree with you. I have found both boring for many years.

I think baseball is kind of like golf, i love playing golf and going to watch live pga tournaments, but i can never watch it on tv for more than 5 minutes. at least when you watch it live you have all the drunk idiots screaming.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
As far as baseball is concerned, I believe its appeal is that its a thowback game to our forefather’s time. Baseball fit the pace of life the first part of the 20th century muh more than it does now. People used to enjoy the nuances in life, take pleasue in a warm spring day, being outside in the sun. They could enjoy baseball because baseball is a game of strategy and nuance, and they had the capacity to think in that manner.

Our society does care about nuance, they just want to be mindlessly entertained. Fast paced games with lots of action and violence, with a clock to keep it from going too long. People want things right now, there pepperoni pizza in 30 minutes, oil change in 10, prescription in 5…do you really think people like that an sit and relax and contemplate whether the manager is going to bunt the runner to second on a first and third with one out? Kinda sad really…[/quote]

I agree. That is why it is called our national pastime. You used to go to a baseball game to pass the time.

I don’t really like baseball, either, but I can understand why some do. The massive amount of statistics going back over a hundred years is something that even the nerdiest non-athlete can grasp ahold of. Some of George Will’s stuff about baseball is great:

“Baseball is a habit. The slowly rising crescendo of each game, the rhythm of the long season–these are the essentials and they are remarkably unchanged over nearly a century and a half. Of how many American institutions can that be said?” Source: Bunts (George Will, 1999)

"There is no written rule, but it is part of baseball’s rich common law that batters shall not glance back to see where the catcher is setting up because that reveals the intended pitch location. A catcher may give a peeking batter a polite warning. If the batter is a recidivist, the catcher then may set up outside but call for a pitch inside.

When the batter leans out toward where he thinks the pitch is going, his ribs receive a lesson about respecting the common law. Sport is a moral undertaking because it requires of participants, and it schools spectators in the appreciation of, noble things–courage, grace under pressure, sportsmanship. Sport should be the triumph of character, openly tested, not of technology, surreptitiously employed." Source: Say it ain’t so (Townhall.com, 02/08/2001)

How the hell is this our supposed american pastime? It is boring as hell. “Ball, ball, foul tip, strike, ball, oh woopy doo he got a single” It is so slow paced and drawn out, not to mention there are 300 games a year. How can people really get into this? I mean sure they need hand-eye coordination but that’s it! !

You’re fucking kidding, right?

What sports do you watch?
How far do you want it simplified?

You don’t belive that when an outfielder has to run all out, while keeping track of a fly ball over his shoulder, leap in the air and catch it while hitting the fence isn’t a sport?

As far as auto racing, it is a sport of endurance and reflexes. I have been just as physically exhausted after a race as any game or workout I have ever had.

While these two sports may not appeal as interesting to you doesn’t mean you have to hate on them.

Try hitting a 90 mile an hour fast ball or chase down a fly ball coming down the warning track…then criticize these guys. Baseball is a great sport. I love to play and watch.

As far as NASCAR goes…yeah to be honest I’m not sure why all the appeal, and I consider myself a car guy. But you can’t deny the fact that the races sell out over 100,000 seats every race. Not even football does that.

jeeeez-s dude. is your netflix delivery late or something ?

[quote]Race Fan wrote:
jimmyjames66 wrote:

I mean David fat ass Ortiz perhaps plays a whole 15 minutes of a 3 and a half hour game, I am clearly not impressed with his athleticism. On to Nascar. What is there to say really? I mean 30 cars turn left for 3 hours. You must be severely impaired intellectually to get into this so called sport. And please dont tell me you watch with the anticipation of crashes, that is just so god damn deranged and sadistic.

You’re fucking kidding, right?
Nope.
What sports do you watch?
How far do you want it simplified?
Well I watch football, basketball, hockey, and hell even world cup soccer is more entertaining.

You don’t belive that when an outfielder has to run all out, while keeping track of a fly ball over his shoulder, leap in the air and catch it while hitting the fence isn’t a sport? Well seeing that this happens at most once a game, I am not really impressed. Bottom line is its a lazy sport and baseball’s athletes do not put in half the effort that the athletes do in the sports I just mentioned above.

As far as auto racing, it is a sport of endurance and reflexes. I have been just as physically exhausted after a race as any game or workout I have ever had. Ok sure, but watching? Come on! The cars keep fucking turning left for three hours. Who in their right mind can sit through that?

While these two sports may not appeal as interesting to you doesn’t mean you have to hate on them.
You may be right but I just do not understand people’s interest in them.( watching that is.)
[/quote]

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
Try hitting a 90 mile an hour fast ball or chase down a fly ball coming down the warning track…then criticize these guys. Baseball is a great sport. I love to play and watch.

I should have been more clear in my original post. Though baseball does require skill, I still think it is boring as hell to watch. And as far as skill, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, and numerous other sports require more physical effort per game.

so you’re not into it. who cares ? is it that surprising that something you don’t understand or participate in is boring to you ? i don’t play poker or understand anything about it so it’s pretty damn boring for me to watch it. so guess what, i don’t.

as for your argument comparing athletic skill levels, i doubt you’d find a professional athlete in any sport who’d agree w/ you.

I loved baseball when I was a kid and lost some interest in it through high school and my teenage years. I once again enjoy it, partly because of the pace. I watch games from a pitcher’s perspective, meaning that every pitch is meaningful. A pitcher never just lobs one up there.

John Madden once said that he watches football from the inside out. He watches the offensive line first on every play and moves his vision outward. I agree with this and watch baseball the same way. I watch the pitcher and think of the game revolving around him. It really is just a matchup between him and the batter.

If you think of the pace of the game, unless the team is in the hurry-up or two-minute offense, football and baseball are similar in terms of pace. It’s one play at a time, with intervals between each play, just waiting for the big play (the run that breaks away for 60 yards, the triple that drops into the gap in the outfield, etc.).

Dunno, I just like it. Speaking of which, there’s a race on in half an hour. My man, #20, Tony Stewart.

I will let that disparaging remark about Big Papi go. Just this once. Next time, there will be hell to pay.

[quote]swordthrower wrote:

I will let that disparaging remark about Big Papi go. Just this once. Next time, there will be hell to pay.[/quote]

Until I see “Big Papi” steal a base or hit an in-the-park HR, I don’t consider him an athlete. Yeah hes got talent and good hand-eye coordination that he can hit baseballs hard and long, but I don’t see how anybody can consider him a true athlete.

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
jimmyjames66 wrote:

I will let that disparaging remark about Big Papi go. Just this once. Next time, there will be hell to pay.[/quote]

yes, clearly there’s nothing impressive about being one of the best in the world at what you do.

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
swordthrower wrote:

I will let that disparaging remark about Big Papi go. Just this once. Next time, there will be hell to pay.

Until I see “Big Papi” steal a base or hit an in-the-park HR, I don’t consider him an athlete. Yeah hes got talent and good hand-eye coordination that he can hit baseballs hard and long, but I don’t see how anybody can consider him a true athlete.[/quote]

i guess you’ve never seen papi’s d @ 1st. he’s quick. he can stretch. he’s on point. he get’s it done and he’s got what it takes.

think about this : papi can do things @ the plate and in the field that michael jordan could not. that’s more than you can say for 99.999957% of people on the planet.

I agree.

I hate Nascar.

I hate baseball.

I hate basketball…I detest the “BALLA” subculture.

I tolerate American Football, I am fascinated by the strength training methods of Football Players.

The only sports I follow are:

Strength Sports: Strongman-P-lifting & O-lifting.

MMA- UFC/Pride

Women’s Figure Skating…Seriously.