T Nation

Why Aren't You a Personal Trainer?

Who the fuck wants to train 45 year old women who think talking on their cell phone while they’re working out is admissible in any way?

and as you can tell by some of the replies, you have to have a passion for helping people live a healthier life. Not everyone is as hard core as many here, nor do they have the aspirations of looking like a fitness model, and that’s fine, you have to want to help them get what THEY want.

As soon as it became work it would no longer be fun.

I would rather be the Gym coach for a highschool weight lifting class.

Now that would be fun, find a bunch of hard working kids and have a board with the top powerlifts for the school and coach them to become better lifters.

Just relax all day in a big weight room coaching kids watching people hit new maxes every day and seeing people actually work hard.

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
I would rather be the Gym coach for a highschool weight lifting class.

Now that would be fun, find a bunch of hard working kids and have a board with the top powerlifts for the school and coach them to become better lifters.

Just relax all day in a big weight room coaching kids watching people hit new maxes every day and seeing people actually work hard.

[/quote]

Me too I’d love to get a teaching job and teach powerlifting, and olympic lifing classes.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
I was a full time trainer at a Gold’s Gym for about a year and it sucked. Management only cared about new sales, so even if you had 50 clients but had zero new sales for the month, they assumed you weren’t doing any work. [/quote]

That’s what did it for me. When I first started and it was a smaller club I could use a low-pressure sales technique and pretty much pick and choose who I wanted to train. As the club grew, the management started hearing what other clubs and other chains were charging and it became a sales job and all that mattered was the amount of money you brought in.

Once I started managing the fitness department it only got worse, as my job went from training and educating new PTs to being a sales manager and worrying about budget and who needed to boost sales. It became a dollar chase and the only time you could relax was the day after the last day of the month. Then it started all over again the next month. I fucking hated it.

I also made the naive mistake of thinking that people would hire a personal trainer because they A) wanted to work and B) wanted to change. That in some way I would provide information and set up routines and make adjustments for them, more like a coach.

The fact is, most people are lazy and resist change. So you get people that come in and make no effort and you have to DRAG them through their entire workout for the hour. At times the ones that didn’t want to work would make you twice as exhausted as a session where you have to run to keep up with your client. The ones that are hard workers actually invigorate you…but two or three dipshit slackers and you’re spent.

I can honestly say that my job as a trainer and as a fitness director actually had an inverse effect on my own training and diet. Toward the end, when I was off shift the last place I wanted to spend one more second in was that gym. I became a caffeine junkie to be able to function due to sleepless stressful nights. I ended up buying a separate membership to another gym just to escape and workout.

I may pick up a client or two later on just for kicks and to do some experiments on as far as programming and routines, but I can tell you I will NEVER go back to it as a full time job.

I lost that desire when I realized people in general don’t want to work hard for anything, though anything worth having is worth working hard. I couldn’t see spending hours with a majority of people that won’t go very far. I’m more content doing my own thing for myself.