Why are we at War??

Where was (is) the wealth in South Vietnam that I was sent to steal for the United States in 67/68? Since Americans only fight for material things, such as oil, we couldn’t have been there to assist those that wanted to avoid communist rule. It must have been the Viet rice that we greedy Americans were after.

Hmmmmm. I wonder what it was that the four nations that sent troops to help the USA in Vietnam were after? Or, if any of the liberals that spout so much venom can even tell me who those countries were and which one sent the most troops and, in fact, were the most ferocious fighters?

What’s in Afganistan?

NeilG

Nothing has to be in Afganistan. We want to take over the world, just ask monsiuer. What better place to start world domination than in afganistan and Irag.

Look up Unocal for references to Afghanistan.

Also, during the cold war, the US was also driven by it’s desire to defeat communism. Hencce Vietnam, Korea, Afghnaistan etc.

Had the Soviets defeated Afghanistam or had Afghan resistance been minimal, the soviets would have taken Pakistan next to have a southern port. That is why it was in Pakistan’s and US interest that the soviets not succeed in Afghanistan.

I believe that had the Soviets not been shown vulnerable in Afghanistan, the cold war would not have ended, and the Soviet Union would not have collapsed.

The Soviets were no better than the Americans, but nor were they any worse.

Russia, however, is worse than the US in many ways. Take a look at Chechnya. That war has been going on for almost 8 years. While the actions of the US are always under a microscope, the Russians get away with things that would sicken Americans. That is a compliment to the American people. They would not stand for their government behaving the way the Russians do.

Russia also vetoed the US action in Bosnia that led to the UN not being involved. Had there not been a Russian veto, Bosnia would have been a UN operation.

The US has also practiced it’s veto on numerous times on many resolutions that should have passed.

Also interesting to note for anyone that thinks that Saddam Hussein has any concern for Muslims as he claims to, he supported Milosevich(sp?) during the war in Bosnia.

Another thing to note is that Afghan mujahedeen supported the 1991 Gulf War (500 troops).

What happened in Afghanistan is that after the Soviets left, there was no one left in the country that was able to rebuild it. Education suffered and eventually thugs took over the country. That is why it became the hotbed of extremism, fanaticism, and terrorism. Prior to the Soviet invasion, Afghanistan was actually very beautiful.

Roy Batty, you have a surprisingly acute understanding of Middle Eastern affairs. BTW, I call it ‘Faux’ News.

Z-man

The Soviets were no better than the Americans, but nor were they any worse.

Maybe we should dig up the more than 100,000 million people who died under the communist regime and ask them who they think is better.

I think that the Bill of Rights makes us a lot better, particulary the freedom of speech thing and due process.

Z-Man

The rest of your post is right on though.

LarryLavender, You are correct that the soviets were alot worse domestically than the Americans ever were. That is the cost of tyranny. However, in international affairs during the cold war, both sides are guilty of atrocities.

Oh, and before anyone flames me, US went into Afghanistan because the Taliban would not give up Osamah bin Laden without evidence, not that it pains me greatly to see the demise of the Taliban. It is most unfortunate thet Shah Ahmad Masood was assasinated 2 days prior to 9/11.

US=GG, I knew you would agree with this ridiculous analogy.

But, seriously, anyone who actually sees this as a true explanation or analogy for war, your mental capacity for understanding international politics is lacking.

You are being played.

Z-Man

Ok, that’s what I thought you were saying after I took a second read of your post. I think you are pretty reasonable too. I agree with your statement that both sides did bad stuff. However, I tend to believe that generally, given the circumstances from 1945-1991, the actions taken were more or less necessary. Much of the shit storm going on now is the fall out from the actions of the cold war period.

I met this new guy at my college the other day with a shirt with a picture of George Bush and a quote reading “Not My President.” We were all thinking it but one of my friends goes up to the guy and says “Then who the hell is your president?” I don’t care whether or not you agree with his policies we must stand behind him. Personally I think he is a great president, and I thought Clinton represented the lowest point in American politics for several generations. But even with Clinton although I didn’t respect his decision making or his person I did respect his position.

Unocal in Afghan - EXACTLY.

also look up Unocal’s involvement with Burma, which partially explains why the US doesn’t really do shit (their sanctions are not effective in the least) about one of the most brutal regimes on earth.

I agree with Z-man and Roy that most of this shit coming down is the result of idiotic foreign policy decisions going back decades. And the military industrial complex always needs that enemy out there, imaginary or real, to keep the bucks flowing in & the latest weaponery coming out.

Oil & US economic interests are definately a factor - see some recently declassified documents in which Cheney & co. had serious discussions on Iraq’s oil capabilities? that was before 9/11.

Bet they wish nobody else could see those.

Clinton was the low point in American politics?

HAHAHAHA

Yeah, the best economy for decades, lowest unemployment, plummeting crime rates, etc.

But he was blown in office, therefore…

You gotta be kidding me. At least Clinton could field live questions from reporters without stumbling around and making up new words. Ever wonder why Bush has the least amount of press time of any president since television was invented?

And in case you ever decide your son actually deserves to hear the truth…

http://www.wedeservethetruth.com/

Rumbach

What does the president, any president do for an economy? Specifically, what actions can a president take to make an economy good or bad?

Can anyone actually tell me why the US is announcing that they are reducing air marshals and simultaneously warning the public of new hijackings?

U.S. May Cut Air Marshals Despite Warning

You have got to be kidding me! Unfortunately the real world is much more complex than your simple-minded analogy. Anyone who honestly believes that was even close to being accurate is borderline retarded. But then again, that would explain alot!

“Maybe we should dig up the more than 100,000 million people who died under the communist regime and ask them who they think is better.”

Maybe you should dig up the 12-15 million people who died & the 100s of millions in poverty under the capitalist regime & ask them who they think is better.

“However, I tend to believe that generally, given the circumstances from 1945-1991, the actions taken were more or less necessary.”

Give me a friggin break. Name any president since WWII & I can name unnecessary stuff done by him in the name of spreading American influence.

This may explain some US foreign policy in the Middle East. I would think he should be an “American at heart”.

Delay “Israeli at heart”

As I suspected, not one of the liberal assholes could answer my question. Nuff said!

What the hell is a liberal anyways? Anyone that doesn’t 100% agree with you is a ‘liberal asshole’?

Those that are against the war are not necessarily liberal, as hard as that is for some people to understand. I hate it when someone calls me a liberal because I don’t think killing ‘sand-niggers’ halfway around the world is a great idea. The world is not black and white, although there are some that need to see it that way.

And by the way, your question was answered about Vietnam. That was a conflict over ideology, and US influence in the region. The reason USSR went into Afghanistan is same reason that US had entered Vietnam. Regional influence and power. The US and USSR were fighting this thing called the ‘Cold War’ if you remember. To give up any country to the other’s ideology was to show weakness. Perhaps this needs to be explained in a picture book.