Why Are Take Out Burgers So Bad?

While crappy burgers probably aren’t the best source of it, i endorse salt.

this article is a good read:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//sodium_your_secret_weapon

1-2 times a week is okay depending on your goals, and if your out running around at night and didn’t pack your own food it’s a hell of a lot better than not eating. If you really need to eat fast food go for the carbroialed chicken sandwich’s on whole wheat buns with extra tomatoes, yeahh.

According to this article there was only a difference in LDL levels when comparing a burger made at home and one from a fast food joint.

www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal- compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals- of-different-composition-research-review.html

Home-made burger with quality ingredients are awesome and healthy unlike the crap from fast-food chains. Fast food garbage is made from low quality meat, low quality cheese (fake cheese), nutrient-depleted ingredients, fries cooked in crappy vegetable oil…

But if I wanted to eat a burger in a restaurant I’d go to Heart Attack Grill Diet Center:

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/menu.html

I’ve put on more lean mass and gotten stronger since loosening up my anti-fast food stance. your results may vary.

[quote]Berserkergang wrote:
Home-made burger with quality ingredients are awesome and healthy unlike the crap from fast-food chains. Fast food garbage is made from low quality meat, low quality cheese (fake cheese), nutrient-depleted ingredients, fries cooked in crappy vegetable oil…
[/quote]

I would agree that burgers vary in quality taste-wise. But all burgers contain trans fats.

Wendy’s 99 cent double stackers are were it’s at.

I ate a double whopper after school everyday for a year in high school and I think I turned out ok…

I find it interesting how many on this site constantly preach simplicity, spouting off the “lots of food+lifting weights=hyooge” yet when something like this comes up, everyone nit picks over the trans fat, sodiums, what kind of oil it’s made in, etc.

Guys, hate to break it to you, but unless you are trying to diet down, there’s no reason to get all upset over fast food.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

I ate a double whopper after school everyday for a year in high school and I think I turned out ok…[/quote]

A lot of this has to do with age.

Heck, when I was in high school, and for a few years after that, I could have Double Whoppers with Cheese with fries and a large regular Coke and not get fat.

In my 40s, though, fuggedaboudit. It would take no time at all for this dietary mistake to show itself.

Heck, even in my 30s whether I had a weekly meal at the Texas Roadhouse or not made a clear difference. Just one meal a week (albeit quite high calorie especially with the bucket of peanuts they provide.) But when younger that would have done nothing.

However, so far as trans fats and so forth, doctors are discovering atherosclerosis in children these days. So while there may be immunity with regards to the waistline at least for many with regards to these foods – obviously not everyone, as there are a ton of obese kids these days – other adverse effects of trans fats, apparently not even youth provides immunity.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

I ate a double whopper after school everyday for a year in high school and I think I turned out ok…

A lot of this has to do with age.

Heck, when I was in high school, and for a few years after that, I could have Double Whoppers with Cheese with fries and a large regular Coke and not get fat.

In my 40s, though, fuggedaboudit. It would take no time at all for this dietary mistake to show itself.

Heck, even in my 30s whether I had a weekly meal at the Texas Roadhouse or not made a clear difference. Just one meal a week (albeit quite high calorie especially with the bucket of peanuts they provide.) But when younger that would have done nothing.

However, so far as trans fats and so forth, doctors are discovering atherosclerosis in children these days. So while there may be immunity with regards to the waistline at least for many with regards to these foods – obviously not everyone, as there are a ton of obese kids these days – other adverse effects of trans fats, apparently not even youth provides immunity.

[/quote]

haha good point. My advise is kind of biased now in the sense that I always see threads about how to gain weight and very much less about wanting to lose a bunch of fat.

Seems like lots of guys want to live the chicken/turkey/tuna +salad life style and wonder why they can’t gain more mass. I just see burgers and such as a valuable tool that can be used to advance your physique. I personally don’t gain weight unless I am eating at least 6000 cals, at times I’ve gone up to 8k (AAS). There is no way in hell I can get all that from clean foods, so I indulge in fast food quite often.

Yes, then in your case, were it not for the trans fats there would be no real objection to the Double Whopper with Cheese at all.

Maybe BK will get rid of the trans fats, what with all the publicity on that subject. It doesn’t seem to me there’s any reason for a flame-broiled burger to have them. (Unless I am mistaken and the cooking process actually “flips” some of the unsaturated fats naturally present in the beef.)

McDonald’s Big Mac is the best burger I ever ate so far.

http://www.heartattackgrill.com

Where the hell is this place, is it real???

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
McDonald’s Big Mac is the best burger I ever ate so far.[/quote]

For fun – or lack thereof – try eating the “meat” all by itself sometime. Or I take that back… you really shouldn’t!

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
McDonald’s Big Mac is the best burger I ever ate so far.

For fun – or lack thereof – try eating the “meat” all by itself sometime. Or I take that back… you really shouldn’t![/quote]

Yeah, I tried the hamburger patty by itself and it is very small and dry. I guess it is the combination of the thousand island dressing and cheese (with lettuce, etc…) that makes it taste so good. It is hard for me to believe but I can’t remember the last time I ate one! :frowning:

I always just buy 2-3 hamburgers or in case of white castle 7-8 and I’ll remove the buns and stack the patties up. I always order with no mayo. Got to watch that shit it’s not good for you.

While burgers aren’t healthy, they at least have some nutritional value. You’d be doing yourself a favour by just eating the burgers by themselves, and not all the fries and soft drink that come with the meals.

One thing I’ve noticed about alot of fat people, they drink lots of soft drink, namely Coca Cola.