Why are Some People Such Douchebags?

I was running late to the gym, and so didn’t have alot of time before they closed to do my workout. Theres a guy(who was pretty built, 250+) with his gf(who was smokin’ hot) or whatever doing bb rows in the squat rack. This is the first time I’ve EVER had to ask somebody to use the squat rack.

I go over and ask him how much longer he will be, and he replies about 10 minutes. Since I only have less than an hour, I didn’t really want to wait. I said I wanted to do squats and being the only rack(and its only a half rack) in the gym, he could just do rows from the floor. To this, he has a look on his face like what I just said was the most absurd thing to even suggest.

I figured he wasn’t willing to give up the rack at this point. Pointing at the Smith Machine, he suggest I use that. Now I think I had an equally stupid look on my face. Anyway, I told him I’d wait and walked away. The guy makes some comment to his partner and shakes his head like I was out of line, although I always try to come across as friendly at the gym.

Anyway, I go warm-up some, and about 3-4minutes later the rack is empty and he is over doing tricep pushdowns and looking over at the rack. I go to the rack and he has obviously purposely put the bar on the highest level, which is over my head with a 10kg plate on each side.

Seriously?

I can see him looking over, maybe thinking that I would drop the bar on my head being so fucking heavy, since thats what half of the 120lb guys would probably do if they attempted to unrack it. I easily unracked it and noticed the dissapointed look on his face. I was kind of annoyed, and tempted to ask him why he felt the need to do that, but I had more important things to worry about.

The sad thing is that this guy would of been about 27-28 and the fact he felt he needed to behave this way actually suprises me. Really, why people go through effort to be a douche to people they don’t even know? Its like they are trying to prove to be men but don’t realise they are doing the exact opposite.

Isn’t it obvious? 3" dick. Explains everything.

I’d be pissed if a skinny guy came up to me and said that too. I wouldn’t do what he did with the bar though lol, that’s just overkill.

people are just stupid, at my gym the other day some pretty built guy brought his two sons or younger brothers in, stacked 20 plates on the leg press and did like 5 reps that I saw and left them there. He left free weights that he and the other two were curling not 1 foot from the rack.

So an hour later when i was leaving i looked over and saw the plates on the leg press, and just a mess from everywhere he was.

I think some people expect everyone else to be a douche, and in attempting to deal with a percieved douche, they end up acting pretty douchey themselves.

At my gym people that leave there weights all over get there memberships taken away

[quote]Itchy wrote:
I think some people expect everyone else to be a douche, and in attempting to deal with a percieved douche, they end up acting pretty douchey themselves.[/quote]

QFT

10 KGs …isnt that 22 pounds? so there was a total of 97 pounds and he/you thought that would be heavy? seriously?

Some people still think that by putting other down it makes them look better. He obviously still hasn’t emotionally progressed past 7th grade.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I was running late to the gym, and so didn’t have alot of time before they closed to do my workout. Theres a guy(who was pretty built, 250+) with his gf(who was smokin’ hot) or whatever doing bb rows in the squat rack. This is the first time I’ve EVER had to ask somebody to use the squat rack.

I go over and ask him how much longer he will be, and he replies about 10 minutes. Since I only have less than an hour, I didn’t really want to wait. I said I wanted to do squats and being the only rack(and its only a half rack) in the gym, he could just do rows from the floor. To this, he has a look on his face like what I just said was the most absurd thing to even suggest.

I figured he wasn’t willing to give up the rack at this point. Pointing at the Smith Machine, he suggest I use that. Now I think I had an equally stupid look on my face. Anyway, I told him I’d wait and walked away. The guy makes some comment to his partner and shakes his head like I was out of line, although I always try to come across as friendly at the gym.

Anyway, I go warm-up some, and about 3-4minutes later the rack is empty and he is over doing tricep pushdowns and looking over at the rack. I go to the rack and he has obviously purposely put the bar on the highest level, which is over my head with a 10kg plate on each side.

Seriously?

I can see him looking over, maybe thinking that I would drop the bar on my head being so fucking heavy, since thats what half of the 120lb guys would probably do if they attempted to unrack it. I easily unracked it and noticed the dissapointed look on his face. I was kind of annoyed, and tempted to ask him why he felt the need to do that, but I had more important things to worry about.

The sad thing is that this guy would of been about 27-28 and the fact he felt he needed to behave this way actually suprises me. Really, why people go through effort to be a douche to people they don’t even know? Its like they are trying to prove to be men but don’t realise they are doing the exact opposite.[/quote]

Are there really guys that weigh 120 lbs?

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I’d be pissed if a skinny guy came up to me and said that too. I wouldn’t do what he did with the bar though lol, that’s just overkill.

[/quote]

I wouldn’t mind unless he came over and said it with a douchey attitude. But I also wouldn’t be in the squat rack rowing.

The presence of the hot girlfriend, however, kind of trumps all this noise. Hot women have a chaotic effect on male behavior.

Yeah–I think I blame the woman.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

[/quote]

Agreed. Why should the guy move in that situation? Contrary to the talk on this board about squat racks, they are used for more than just that and most bodybuilders do NOT do them from the floor for many reasons. If I am going heavy on those, the last thing I need is to stress my lower back even more by picking it up from the ground.

How is this guy a “douche” because he wouldn’t jump out of your way? It isn’t anyone else’s responsibility to accommodate you simply because YOU were late.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
10 KGs …isnt that 22 pounds? so there was a total of 97 pounds and he/you thought that would be heavy? seriously?[/quote]

Best Post.

How would this be a hassle even if he stuck the barbell on the ceiling?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

Agreed. Why should the guy move in that situation? Contrary to the talk on this board about squat racks, they are used for more than just that and most bodybuilders do NOT do them from the floor for many reasons. If I am going heavy on those, the last thing I need is to stress my lower back even more by picking it up from the ground.

How is this guy a “douche” because he wouldn’t jump out of your way? It isn’t anyone else’s responsibility to accommodate you simply because YOU were late.[/quote]

Now OP, go sit in the corner and think about what you have done.

There’s no answer on why people act the way the act. That’s just the beauty of human nature. I can only focus on myself and why I act the way I act. I think we’d all be better off if we all did that.

I have not weighed 120 lbs in years…

You don’t really weigh 120 do you? How old are you?

You wieghed yourself in pounds and kilos for lifting.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Isn’t it obvious? 3" dick. Explains everything.[/quote]

Right…because anyone with a bigger dick would simply dive out of the way so someone much smaller can use the squat rack regardless of what he was doing previously.

Here’s a tip…if someone is really that big, chances are they know exactly what they are doing in the gym and why. They won’t be moving out of the way to change their entire routine for someone that much smaller simply because they are impatient and can’t wait until they are done.

But hey, it must make you feel better to think the guy bigger and stronger than you…with the hotter girlfriend, is inadequate in some way. It couldn’t just be…that he passed your level up a long time ago.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

How is this guy a “douche” because he wouldn’t jump out of your way? It isn’t anyone else’s responsibility to accommodate you simply because YOU were late.[/quote]

Well for one I’m not exactly skinny. And two, he was rowing 140lbs, I wouldn’t exactly call that stressful on the lower back. If he was rowing a decent amount, then sure, but I really think it would of just been easier to lift such a weight from the floor then to pull it off the rack supports and walk back about 3-4 steps then start rowing as he was doing.

Him not moving didn’t really bother me. Its the fact that he felt he had to go out of his way to get a reaction that did. Like there was something wrong with me asking to use the only squat rack in the gym for squats.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Professor X wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

How is this guy a “douche” because he wouldn’t jump out of your way? It isn’t anyone else’s responsibility to accommodate you simply because YOU were late.

Well for one I’m not exactly skinny. And two, he was rowing 140lbs, I wouldn’t exactly call that stressful on the lower back. If he was rowing a decent amount, then sure, but I really think it would of just been easier to lift such a weight from the floor then to pull it off the rack supports and walk back about 3-4 steps then start rowing as he was doing.

Him not moving didn’t really bother me. Its the fact that he felt he had to go out of his way to get a reaction that did. Like there was something wrong with me asking to use the only squat rack in the gym for squats.[/quote]

First, why do you think it matters what YOU feel about how he trains? If he is that big, it is OBVIOUSLY working for him so your opinion isn’t needed at all.

Second, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU ASKING when it involves the guy you are asking changing his entire routine to accommodate you. You didn’t ask to work in, you asked him TO MOVE. Big difference there, chief.

You were the one in the wrong here, not him.

You were the “douchebag”.