T Nation

Why are Skinny Kids Strong?

at every powerlifting meet i go to there are kids that are legit skinny and i feel bad for but them when they get under the squat rack or deadlift podium, they put up huge wights. why the hell is this? their legs are half the size of mine and i just dont under stand why they can just tear up the leader board. but my bench still sh*ts on thiers

They doing it right.

As a fairly skinny person who has, on the other hand, always trained for strength, I can attest to what you say. When an ectomorph trains for strength, he isn’t going to pack on the muscle as a mesomorph would, but might have the neural capacity and advantages in leverage to lift big weight–especially with the deadlift. The problem (at least from my perspective) tends to be the bench press. Most “skinny” lifters are also tall, which means that their arm length and leverage pretty much sucks for horizontal lifting.

Additionally, if I were to pack on 10 kg in muscle, it wouldn’t make much of an optical difference in comparison to someone 10-15 cm shorter than me. As we know, however, muscle volume does not always correlate to strength.

Because you are weak.

so arbitrary lol

[quote]kgildner wrote:

Additionally, if I were to pack on 10 kg in muscle, it wouldn’t make much of an optical difference in comparison to someone 10-15 cm shorter than me. As we know, however, muscle volume does not always correlate to strength.[/quote]

Optical? lolwut?

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Because you are weak.[/quote]

This thread is weak.

[quote]bmac63095 wrote:
at every powerlifting meet i go to there are kids that are legit skinny and i feel bad for but them when they get under the squat rack or deadlift podium, they put up huge wights. why the hell is this? their legs are half the size of mine and i just dont under stand why they can just tear up the leader board. but my bench still sh*ts on thiers[/quote]

Skinny or not, you have no way of determining where an individual’s tendon atttachment sites are just by merely looking at them. Favorable tendon attachment sites will yield a tremendous leverage advantage for strength independant of muscle size and skeletal dimensions.

So, chances are if you see a “skinny dude” putting up weights he looks like he shouldn’t be moving, in all likelihood he hit the tendon attachment lottery!

A superior nervous system is also likely and, like tendon attachment points, are not obvious through a visual assessment of an individual.

Bottomline? Don’t judge a book by its cover.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]kgildner wrote:

Additionally, if I were to pack on 10 kg in muscle, it wouldn’t make much of an optical difference in comparison to someone 10-15 cm shorter than me. As we know, however, muscle volume does not always correlate to strength.[/quote]

Optical? lolwut?[/quote]

I mean that taller, thinner individuals can add weight and still look tall and thin. Mesomorphic individuals can add weight and appear much more muscular.

[quote]Egg Head wrote:

Bottomline? Don’t judge a book by its cover.[/quote]

Well said. Otherwise we’d have to shift this discussion to the bodybuilding forum.

[quote]Egg Head wrote:

[quote]bmac63095 wrote:
at every powerlifting meet i go to there are kids that are legit skinny and i feel bad for but them when they get under the squat rack or deadlift podium, they put up huge wights. why the hell is this? their legs are half the size of mine and i just dont under stand why they can just tear up the leader board. but my bench still sh*ts on thiers[/quote]

Skinny or not, you have no way of determining where an individual’s tendon atttachment sites are just by merely looking at them. Favorable tendon attachment sites will yield a tremendous leverage advantage for strength independant of muscle size and skeletal dimensions.

So, chances are if you see a “skinny dude” putting up weights he looks like he shouldn’t be moving, in all likelihood he hit the tendon attachment lottery!

A superior nervous system is also likely and, like tendon attachment points, are not obvious through a visual assessment of an individual.

Bottomline? Don’t judge a book by its cover.[/quote]

Maybe… OR, the OP is weaker than ‘skinny kids’ but can only bench more due to the power belly.

Most people leg muscles are must further away from their max strength then upper body muscles.

As maraudermeat said once: “Big isn’t strong, strong is strong”.

Of course, having more muscle mass raises your strength potential, but there’s no reason smaller people can’t be strong, as strength is largely a function of your nervous system.

[quote]Consul wrote:
…as strength is largely a function of your nervous system.[/quote]

I disagree. There is a clear reason why children and old people are weaker than the average population and it has nothing to do with nervous system.

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
…as strength is largely a function of your nervous system.[/quote]

I disagree. There is a clear reason why children and old people are weaker than the average population and it has nothing to do with nervous system.[/quote]

LOL the nervous system has to be trained to allow muscles to exert greater strength. Muscles mass is a large part of strength production too, as I outlined in my post. So stop cherry-picking quotes and learn some basic exercise physiology.

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
…as strength is largely a function of your nervous system.[/quote]

I disagree. There is a clear reason why children and old people are weaker than the average population and it has nothing to do with nervous system.[/quote]

LOL the nervous system has to be trained to allow muscles to exert greater strength. Muscles mass is a large part of strength production too, as I outlined in my post. So stop cherry-picking quotes and learn some basic exercise physiology.
[/quote]
x2

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
…as strength is largely a function of your nervous system.[/quote]

I disagree. There is a clear reason why children and old people are weaker than the average population and it has nothing to do with nervous system.[/quote]

LOL the nervous system has to be trained to allow muscles to exert greater strength. Muscles mass is a large part of strength production too, as I outlined in my post. So stop cherry-picking quotes and learn some basic exercise physiology.
[/quote]

Listen to this guy imo, his number 1 knowledge in the world is what got him his massvie 265 bench

[quote]daraz wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
…as strength is largely a function of your nervous system.[/quote]

I disagree. There is a clear reason why children and old people are weaker than the average population and it has nothing to do with nervous system.[/quote]

LOL the nervous system has to be trained to allow muscles to exert greater strength. Muscles mass is a large part of strength production too, as I outlined in my post. So stop cherry-picking quotes and learn some basic exercise physiology.
[/quote]

Listen to this guy imo, his number 1 knowledge in the world is what got him his massvie 265 bench
[/quote]

LOL

[quote]daraz wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:
…as strength is largely a function of your nervous system.[/quote]

I disagree. There is a clear reason why children and old people are weaker than the average population and it has nothing to do with nervous system.[/quote]

LOL the nervous system has to be trained to allow muscles to exert greater strength. Muscles mass is a large part of strength production too, as I outlined in my post. So stop cherry-picking quotes and learn some basic exercise physiology.
[/quote]

Listen to this guy imo, his number 1 knowledge in the world is what got him his massvie 265 bench
[/quote]

LOL I’ve been training for under a year, genius. Besides, the experience of the person who answers the OP’s question is irrelevant - the answer is a matter of science, not opinion. Now, go crawl back under your rock.

Also, learn to use the English language properly, you illiterate fool - see how it feels to be attacked ad hominem?

[quote]Consul wrote:
LOL I’ve been training for under a year, genius.
[/quote]

Out of interest what is your height and weight?