T Nation

Why Are Pork Ribs So Cheap?

I just got 1.5kg of pork ribs for 6 pounds. These ribs taste awesome with a bit of bbq flavouring on and are high protein and not too high in fat. Might buy these everyday. Is there some reason to not eat pork ribs that I am not yet aware of or are they just awesome value?

Because you’ll go to hell.

In the meanwhile, I’d enjoy them while you’re still here.

Mass production makes them cheaper. This means they probably are not the healthiest source of nutrients - mainly because their fat content is out of balance with those of its wild counterpart. Imagine how expensive those ribs would be.

I would say stock up on them if they are cheap but you don’t need to eat them every day.

If the majority of your diet consists of feedlot protein sources supplement with fish oil to balance out your fatty acid profile.

they actually come from cats

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
they actually come from cats[/quote]

OMG— I died laughing, got revived and died again!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
mhmmmm…i love eating cat, and dog! but pork ribs are definately very tasty, i like to simmer them in a pot of low sodium broth with some homemade sauce seasoning and veggies thrown in, then once it’s like 85% done, grill that sucker! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
mhmmmm…i love eating cat, and dog! but pork ribs are definately very tasty, i like to simmer them in a pot of low sodium broth with some homemade sauce seasoning and veggies thrown in, then once it’s like 85% done, grill that sucker! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!![/quote]

I hope you save the broth and drink it. The proteins in the gelatin in the bones and connective tissue are noninflammatory.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]stokes1989 wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
mhmmmm…i love eating cat, and dog! but pork ribs are definately very tasty, i like to simmer them in a pot of low sodium broth with some homemade sauce seasoning and veggies thrown in, then once it’s like 85% done, grill that sucker! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!![/quote]

I hope you save the broth and drink it. The proteins in the gelatin in the bones and connective tissue are noninflammatory. [/quote]
i don’t just drink the broth straight, but i have been known to add a bunch of chunks of meats and veggies and make it into a chunky soup

[quote]BeginnerBrah wrote:
I just got 1.5kg of pork ribs for 6 pounds. These ribs taste awesome with a bit of bbq flavouring on and are high protein and not too high in fat. Might buy these everyday. Is there some reason to not eat pork ribs that I am not yet aware of or are they just awesome value?[/quote]
If it is cheaper compared to other cuts of pork it could be a couple different reasons.

1. Ribs have bones. (Never pay the same price for something you can’t eat)

2. Your buying low grade pork. (Old Sow’s or Boar’s)

3. Your buying the shitty cut of ribs.(No visible loin muscle)

The guy over at Amazing Ribs does a good job of breaking it down.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[/quote]

They are usually more expensive because animals only have two sets of them and since commanding the use of fire man knows just how tasty and delectable they are and thus are in high demand.

Besides, see post above about bone broth. Pork rib bone broth is just about the best thing on earth.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[/quote]
    They are usually more expensive because animals only have two sets of them and since commanding the use of fire man knows just how tasty and delectable they are and thus are in high demand.
    [/quote]
    I honestly don’t even know how to respond to your “two sets” reasoning. Half of me thinks your kidding and the other half fears your not.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    I honestly don’t even know how to respond to your “two sets” reasoning. Half of me thinks your kidding and the other half fears your not. [/quote]

What is to fear?

There is not much meat but why are they typically more expensive than pork chops by weight?

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    I honestly don’t even know how to respond to your “two sets” reasoning. Half of me thinks your kidding and the other half fears your not. [/quote]

What is to fear?

There is not much meat but why are they typically more expensive than pork chops by weight?[/quote]

The cost of meat is generally determined by to main factors.

1. The yield…meaning the actual amount obtainable per carcass
  2. The demand for a particular cut meaning a stronger market for that cut.

As for ribs, there a actually 4 sets not two.

There are the regular spare ribs which are from the belly of the animal. These are larger (more yield) and usually contain a high fat content up to 45%. These have more bone also as the sternum, or breast bone, are usually attached. I’m assuming that the OP is referring to this particular cut of pork rib as they are usually sold at the $2.99 lb retail here in the states. His 1.5 kg for 6 pounds translates to $2.93 Lb.

The other 2 sets are whats known as baby backribs. These are from the back/loin section of the animal, are much smaller (less yield), more lean and much more in demand. The cost is much higher as a result, usually @ $5.99 lb

The yield on chops is far greater then ribs and thats why pork ribs, in general, cost more than pork chops. It’s all fundamentally supply and demand.

I just took 2 slabs of babybacks off my weber smoky mountain 22.5 " smoker that have been on there for 5 hours with some apple wood. Gonna have me some ribs,tater salad and beans !

[quote]butcherman7 wrote:
It’s all fundamentally supply and demand.
[/quote]

Which is what I answered two posts up.

I guess one could get as many racks of rips as one was willing to cut.

My point was exactly as you said except more succinct.