Why are Heavy Dumbells on the Bottom Rack?

Obviously they don’t belong on the top rack, but why is there even a bottom rack for dumbbells? See the attached pic. Why can’t gyms just keep the 100+ dummbells on the floor. Both my gyms have a bigger style of rack pictures here and it’s always a bitch placing the heavy dumbells in the bottom rack. Why can’t the leave that bottom shelf out so you can simpy drag or roll the fuckin things neatly under the rack? What purpose is served by holding the dumbells 2 inches off the floor?

WHO GIVES A SHIT…srsly a thread about dumbbell placement on a rack.

I have the same gripe about plates. They should be on top as well. It’s easy to pull two 45’s off at the same time if they’re on top.

I especially have the same gripe about hundreds on the 45 degree leg press. I don’t workout in a commercial gym, but my wife does, so every time I’m there swimming with my kids I have to run upstairs and move the 100’s to the top. She can load the 100’s on from the top, but if they are on the bottom it’s a struggle for her.

because people don’t do enough deadlifts, and ghr’s

haha, i got it, the heavy weights (dumbbells and plates) are at the bottom because that way the dumbbell rack or weight tree has a lower center of gravity and wont tip over

haha, im just kidding : )

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
WHO GIVES A SHIT…srsly a thread about dumbbell placement on a rack.[/quote]

Obviously, I do. This is the GAL life forum, isn’t it?

Yeah I hear ya, definitely a bitch putting them back on the bottom. Good thing about it is at least they stay somewhat organized. You wouldn’t believe the how disorganized they already are at my gym, I can’t imagine the mayhem if there was no bottom rack and people just rolled them under.

Because 1% of the gym population actually uses them.

At my gym it’s set up where one pair is on the top and and identical pair is on the bottom. It’s funny to see the little race between two guys who are going after the same weights on the top.

[quote]Murph14 wrote:
Yeah I hear ya, definitely a bitch putting them back on the bottom. Good thing about it is at least they stay somewhat organized. You wouldn’t believe the how disorganized they already are at my gym, I can’t imagine the mayhem if there was no bottom rack and people just rolled them under.[/quote]

Hmm. I don’t know about that. I see the big dumbbells laying right next to the benches often because I think alot of guys also hate trying to rack them. I can’t imagine trying to place a 200lb dumbbell in those racks. It must suck ass big time.

My gym keeps the heaviest dumbbells on the floor, under the rack… but then again half of the gym’s dumbbells are covered in rust.

they keep them on the bottom for pussies like myself who cant lift with their arms the dumbbells they use for rdl’s. my gym keeps the heavier dumbbells on top and i have to ask someone to get them off for me, quite embarrassing

in my gym it is a lot easier to put the 100lb DB’s on the bottom rack as opposed to trying to one armed upright row it into the upper rack

jesus, that’s nit-picky. get a life.

oh wait… continue on good sir.

The only thing that makes me mad about dumbell placement is when they take the heavy dumbells and use them to keep machines and other equip from tipping over. The 105 and 110 pound db’s are scattered across the gym, like seriously? And of course I am too weak to bench the 115’s : (

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Murph14 wrote:
Yeah I hear ya, definitely a bitch putting them back on the bottom. Good thing about it is at least they stay somewhat organized. You wouldn’t believe the how disorganized they already are at my gym, I can’t imagine the mayhem if there was no bottom rack and people just rolled them under.[/quote]

Hmm. I don’t know about that. I see the big dumbbells laying right next to the benches often because I think alot of guys also hate trying to rack them. I can’t imagine trying to place a 200lb dumbbell in those racks. It must suck ass big time.[/quote]

whoa! Mr. Fancy Pants has 200lb dumbbells! I envy your kingdom. The YMCA I use has one set of 100lb DBs and one solitary 110lb that never ever gets touched. The hundreds are on the top of 2 racks, A lot of the big guys have been pushing for the heavy weights to be on the top, seems like they are winning.

Think of the n00bs! Putting the plates at least on the bottom of the trees is for their safety. I saw a guy from college grab a 45# off the top of the tree (not where it was supposed to be) only to have it slip out of his hand and land on his foot. Crushed his big toe. Poor n00b, he never came back.

At Defranco’s they have the heaviest DBs in the middle (up to 150 I think) (about arms’ length for most people), next heaviest on top, and lightest on the bottom. They also have a really sturdy DB rack (the one with the round rubber cups for each DB).

But then Joe is a lot more savvy than your average Globo Gym manager.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
At Defranco’s they have the heaviest DBs in the middle (up to 150 I think) (about arms’ length for most people), next heaviest on top, and lightest on the bottom. They also have a really sturdy DB rack (the one with the round rubber cups for each DB).

But then Joe is a lot more savvy than your average Globo Gym manager.[/quote]

wheres Defranco’s? i assume youre from pittsburgh

Why are Heavy Dumbells on the Bottom Rack?

Because the engineer who designed it does not use any of the DBs from the middle or bottom row.

What exactly would the definition of a ‘heavy Dumbbell’ be? i’m thinking 90s and up. I can throw the rest around easily enough I dont care where they go.

So where on the rack do the Wii dumbbells go? I dont know if anyone on this site is at a high enough level to use these yet. Do they get a whole rack to them selves?