T Nation

Why are Forearms in Dogcrapp?

[quote]Stength4life wrote:

A.) Never even heard of pinwheels. If it’s a forearm isolation exercise I’d laugh if I saw you doing them. Even if you are twice my size,

B.) This is a Bodybuilding website. Why state the obvious. “There are already two DC threads already.” I’m aware, but I wanted to begin a new one. Sue Me

C.) Really? Posting history? So because I post in the Get a Life section, I can’t train too?

D.) Don’t you think you are being a bit arrogant here? You are on the Internet. You know NOTHING about whom you speak too. I could be Dante hinself for all you know. I am going to begin DC despite what others might say. Bodybuiling is about finding what works for you. Wouldn’t you agree?
[/quote]

Now now lets not get hot under the Collar, Cephalic is merely stating that in his time here himself and Sento along with Scott have had to deal with MANY people saying this that the other thing about DC without even trying it or for that matter even understanding it !

As for Ceph being arrogant, he can afford a little of it as the man is a human tank whose lifts dwarf most peoples here (not kidding) and asfor knowing you, well what you see is what you get … Ceph spends all his time on here helping beginners and seasoned individuals with their programs and answering the same questions about DC over and over again… your main area is the GAL …

As for beginning DC i wouldn’t if i were you, more than likely you doing it just because people said not to… i doubt you have the testicular fortitude for DC RP’ing is no walk in the park its hell on earth ! If your already questioning the programs set up and haven’t even begun then you stand little to no hope.

I would wager within a week, you will post “DC SUX” or some other variable and go back to some cookie cutter program that doesn’t challenge you as much.

To summarise, don’t try and compete with Ceph you really cant stand anywhere near him weight wise or lift wise. As for laughing at him doing pin wheels … take a look around intense muslce see how many people are over 220 lbs who do pinwheels.

Geez maybe they are onto something, but because you never heard of it then it must be useless !
As you clearly know everything about training.

Regards.

A good question to ask yourself in this situation is “Is there a downside to training forearms?”. I cannot think of one. That RP set of hammer curls should not cost you much in terms of total time/energy spent, but it may have the side effect of making you forearms and upper arms bigger. I see no downside unless you already have 16" forearms (in which case kudos and keep it up).

Pinwheels are basically a cross-body hammer curl.

300 I’m not competing with the one and only Cephalic Carnage. I’m just trying to have a conversation with him. I understand how having an entire thread about how he trains can give him quite an ego boost and I mean that with no disrespect. But when it interferes with me posting it’s kind of irritating. And not once did I say that I knew everthing abvout training.

The PHANTOM: The one downside I see is it is that time is being used. That time can be used more effieciently in my opinionn.

300 I’m not competing with the one and only Cephalic Carnage. I’m just trying to have a conversation with him. I understand how having an entire thread about how he trains can give him quite an ego boost and I mean that with no disrespect. But when it interferes with me posting it’s kind of irritating. And not once did I say that I knew everthing abvout training.

[/quote]

You do know there are at least 20 threads between the powerlifting and bodybuilding section of asking people how they train ?

As for interfering with your posting… you asked a question about DC Cephelic knows 99.9% of stuff about DC would you prefer some un-knowledgable person answer you ?

As for not not saying it, in your last post you implied as far as i could see that as you didn’t know about pinwheels they were to be discarded !

Without ever even trying them, that screams a closed mind who is set in his ways, hence the “know everything” comment.

Wish you the best with your training, if you do go ahead against all the advice with DC then at least post your program in the DC thread so we can make sure your not going to hurt yourself.

Kindest Regards.

[quote]300andabove wrote:
Stength4life wrote:

You do know there are at least 20 threads between the powerlifting and bodybuilding section of asking people how they train ?

As for interfering with your posting… you asked a question about DC Cephelic knows 99.9% of stuff about DC would you prefer some un-knowledgable person answer you ?

As for not not saying it, in your last post you implied as far as i could see that as you didn’t know about pinwheels they were to be discarded !

Without ever even trying them, that screams a closed mind who is set in his ways, hence the “know everything” comment.

Wish you the best with your training, if you do go ahead against all the advice with DC then at least post your program in the DC thread so we can make sure your not going to hurt yourself.

Kindest Regards.[/quote]

Okay my apologies. I will post it when I get my pictures.

The PHANTOM: The one downside I see is it is that time is being used. That time can be used more effieciently in my opinionn.
[/quote]

And as for that how could you possibly be more efficient than DC lol

1 excercise per bodypart… i mean you cant go any lower !

Okay my apologies. I will post it when I get my pictures.
[/quote]

Your pictures ???

What pictures ?

For DC ?

Yeah I’m going to do a before and after training log thing. Im not too fat or too thin, but it would be nice to have visisble evidence of a dam good training program

i never train my forearms directly but i think im going to start just to see if it makes a difference

Yeah I’m going to do a before and after training log thing. Im not too fat or too thin, but it would be nice to have visisble evidence of a dam good training program[/quote]

I see, in that case im sure you will get help even if it is from ze German :stuck_out_tongue:

Wish you the very best and lost of new growth :slight_smile:

I’m not against training forearms directly, but then I don’t remember a big muscular guy with little forearms. Maybe the people complaining about forearm development haven’t built that much muscle on their whole frame.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
A lot of the “forearm” work in DC are exercises which work the brachialis directly. Its basically hitting the arms with a second overload in a different wrist position, in addition to strengthening the forearms. They aren’t doing wrist rolls, they are mostly heavy-ass curls with a neutral or pronated grip. [/quote]

x2, all the “forearm” exercises suggested for DC are exercises that most people use for biceps. Hammer curls…we all do those
Pin Wheel curls…Essentially hammer curls but you curl across the body
Reverse curls…most people do these

It’s nothing you haven’t done before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqr4CJWs3E <- SM7 obviously has no clue what he’s doing, wasting his time on pinwheels like that.

I’ve never done DC and I don’t know a whole lot, but I do know that unless I train a muscle specifically, it doesn’t grow in proportion to things that are.

I’m going to blame my poor biceps development on an over-active mind-muscle connection between my brain and my back and my (former) belief that back training would carry over sufficiently to arms.

Did you know that the arm flexors that are located primarily in the forearm (that is, the brachialis and the brachioradialis) are by far the largest single muscles in the forearm? I mean, the flexors as a group are large, but individually are quite small. It also seems that the two big ones would have more potential for growth because they are probably composed of a higher ratio of high-threshold motor units than the wrist/hand flexors/extensors. So it only makes sense to work those if you’re going for good overall hypertrophy.

Maybe you’re just one of those guys that has very large forearms passed down from your dad. Well, my genetics suck on both sides, based on how big my parents/uncles/grandparents are so I actually have to bust my ass to make things grow.

Do whatever you want man… DC is a popular(a little too popular right now to be honest) system because it WORKS, as is. If you think you know better do whatever you want just don’t come posting on a board where a lot of DC practitioners post and expect a positive response when you want to change something.

[quote]nschneid wrote:

Did you know that the arm flexors that are located primarily in the forearm (that is, the brachialis and the brachioradialis) are by far the largest single muscles in the forearm? I mean, the flexors as a group are large, but individually are quite small. [/quote]

The Brachialis is not located in the forearm.

Yeah I’m going to do a before and after training log thing. Im not too fat or too thin, but it would be nice to have visisble evidence of a dam good training program[/quote]

You weigh 160lbs duder. I don’t think DC is what you need. I’d try some 5x5 + food for a couple years first.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
MODOK wrote:
A lot of the “forearm” work in DC are exercises which work the brachialis directly. Its basically hitting the arms with a second overload in a different wrist position, in addition to strengthening the forearms. They aren’t doing wrist rolls, they are mostly heavy-ass curls with a neutral or pronated grip.

x2, all the “forearm” exercises suggested for DC are exercises that most people use for biceps. Hammer curls…we all do those
Pin Wheel curls…Essentially hammer curls but you curl across the body
Reverse curls…most people do these

It’s nothing you haven’t done before.[/quote]d
I agree

Some people can get away without direct forearm work. Yet with me as soon as I added in reverse cable curls, hammer curls religiously. With an added forearm stretch after. I’ve noticed my forearms are looking a lot fuller/thicker.

Honestly I don’t see what the big fuss is . Hitting your forearms real hard 1-2 twice a week isn’t real inefficient time wasted like stated earlier.

Your forearms have a real complex musculature. I think for most some heavy direct work hitting different sides will bring up noticeable results as long as there eating enough to gain overall size.

I have been researching this underground/not so underground anymore because there are a bajillion threads online about it program and it appears that you must pick 3 exercises for forearms. Is this correct?

Dante knows his shit and all, but this seems so stupid. Forearms are useless for training with three exercises IMO. I can’t be the only one who feels this way. [/quote]

Why would you (“not too fat or too thin”) question the methods of DC who’s proven tremendous results with hundreds to thousands of people? Your comments are exactly what DC talks about in all the stickies on IM, and why he only wants EXPERIENCED, SERIOUS trainees using his methods. If you want to do DC then do it correctly, but don’t start changing around the protocol believing you know better than DC or any other experienced DC trainee. That’s ridiculous, and you know it. C_C, MODOK, and waylander have all explained the concept and reasoning behind training forearms in DC training, if you need further clarification.

[quote]Bodyguard wrote:
The Brachialis is not located in the forearm.[/quote]
My bad, I saw what must have been the insertion in a IPB of the forearms… after further research, it’s located more in the forearm than the biceps is, but yeah, its mostly along the humerus. :stuck_out_tongue: