Why Are Banks Allowed to Prohibit Activists from Receiving Money?

Are conservatives saying that, or are they saying various platforms should have to forfeit some protections if they don’t?

1 Like

Many are. I am sure many are saying:

Is the homeowner advertising some service or business? I don’t think this is a good analogy.

No. He would have to break the law. ERs are legally obligated to render aid.

Well, I’m not sure your initial justification is sufficient. I’ll say I’m not convinced either way. I’ll think about it some more.

He would have to break the oath and the law.

That should be the case in principle. That does not make it right morally, though. Plus, your country is probably in a rather unique situation because of your past history of slavery. I think your anti-discrimination laws may justifiably supersede this right. The business will probably get so much shit from the public if they did that today they may have to close down anyway.

As an example to illustrate my point, predominantly Muslim establishments get to exclude non-Halal vendors for corporate events over here. I don’t know but I suspect it’s also the same in the US but it probably flies under the radar.

Private either means it’s privately owned as an “platform” by and for the owner(s)'s business dealings for which they assume full personal liability, or a registered entity separate from it’s owners but run by them.

In the case of the former, they pay taxes for building and maintenance of public infrastructure and services for the future generations just like the previous generation did. For the latter, both the business and the owners pay taxes separately and there is additional double taxation in your country IIRC if they decide to sell their equity.

Public infrastructure is/was also constructed by voluntary paid labour. Now, you might argue that everyone who pays taxes has a stake in it, but there are lots of things that taxes are used for which the owners may not agree with since they don’t get to decide where their tax dollars go, just like everyone else. What about people who don’t pay taxes? Should we exclude them from using public facilities? How about people who pay a lot more than the average person?

This is a good point which I hadn’t considered which I’ll be thinking about.

If it’s a public hospital, no for obvious reasons. If it’s a private one, then it should be allowed in principle. But then they would still have their own medical society to account to and the public would never let that go.

“Fuck the NFL and burn your Nike’s because of Kapernick!

Wait I mean I hate cancel culture.”

I think a lot are just having some crises on what to be mad about at this second.

It takes effort to identify inconsistent thinking. It is often justified by special pleading (which isn’t logically justified). Liberals do this too.

1 Like

Yes all the time. It’s very human for us to want one thing and not another. But I like pointing those inconsistencies out.

1 Like

Special pleading is a fallacy I think most humans are almost blind to.

2 Likes

The government cannot only ask for its citizens to go fight and die, but tell them to. A baker crying about having to do what he does anyway, bake a cake, seems rather silly considering what others have given up.

1 Like

Your argument seems to rely on this:

Being a justified thing for the government to do. I don’t necessarily think that the government should be able to tell people to fight and die.

I am not really convinced one way or the other on if a business should be able to refuse service to people for any reason they want. I think one would be quite stupid to refuse paying customers over their own bigotry. I kinda think these people are hurting themselves more than the customers they are refusing. I wouldn’t support a business that didn’t serve a certain group of people. At the same time, that baker in Colorado I guess has been doing very well. I guess he has many more customers that are ordering shit. He appeals to a bigotry niche.

If a shop in a hyper liberal area refused to serve a flaming MAGA supporter, that shop would gain support from the local community. Similarly, I don’t think a particular KFC in northern idaho lost any local support for refusing to serve my chinese buddy. Colorado springs is consistently voted one of or THE most conservative “big city” in america, so a store not supporting gay marriage, or “the LGBTQ agenda” would garner support and more business.

Lots of bigoted communities in this country masquerading as “principled” or “having conservative values”. And a successful business, especially in tighter knit areas, needs to reflect the local values.

I’m not ordering a cake unless I know the baker looks down on gay people. Frosting tastes much better when you’re eating a cake that you know wouldn’t be served to you if you weren’t heterosexual.

1 Like

On the question of should the government mandate business serve everyone, do you agree or disagree? I am not convinced either way on it.

The best taste is achieved by eating the cake as a homosexual who tricked the baker into thinking he was straight. Something about knowing that the baker would hate knowing that a gay person was enjoying his cake makes it all the sweeter.

1 Like

Unless the customer is asking for something that would be considered hate speech, or intentionally inflamatory, or damaging to the companies reputation as a business (eg asking a jewish bakery for a swastika cake, or asking a black barbershop to carve KKK into their fade) i think that a business open to the public should serve the full public. I dont think anyone should go to jail over it, but a $300-$500 fine per verified incident would likely make the issue go away. Turns out peoples morals arent very strong when their own pocketbook is on the line…

So, an unenforceable fine? Like, hey, you should pay this fine…but there’s nothing we can do if you don’t?

No, if the fines dont get paid, the business license gets revoked.

Okay. No jail; just lose your livelihood. Got it.

Correct, they would lose their business (not livlihood as they can find work elsewhere). Or, they could just treat people fairly, make money, and continue working for themselves.