Why and Why Not to Ramp Up?

Holy overcomplicating batman!

+1 “More Discs!”

Most jacked dude I’ve ever trained with is a former rocket scientist and currently is a nuclear officer on a submarine. Guess how many sets he did? Typically 1…he trained one set no warmups super heavy with forced rep (6-8 reps+1-3 forced reps). Dude lifted with more intensity. I once watched him spend ~20 seconds on the concentric of a legpress LOL

Just do sets of 6-15 reps. That’s all it takes to get huge

[quote]Lakkhamu wrote:
This question has been bothering me for a while. Why would I ramp up? And why would I do straight sets? On a bodybuilding perspective, doing straight sets would allow me to do 3x10 reps with y weight straight, but if I ramp up, I’d go for (0.7y)x10, (0.8y)x10, (0.9y)x10 and yx9 (hit failure). So , on a bodybuilding level, wouldn’t the straight set be better for hypertrophy since it provides more stimulus with more weight and more intensity?

On the other hand, ramping up gives more volume, combined with the final set (or two) to failure, could elicit greater hypertrophy gains? Or perhaps doing two warm-up sets of (0.7y)x8 and (0.8y)x8 and going out all out for (0.9y)x11 and yx7? Two high intensity sets now, but since the warm-ups would cause fatigue, would it not be better off doing a lighter warm-up and doing (0.9y)x13 and yx11?

So the question is, why is or why is not ramping up superior to straight sets, and if it is, what kind of ramping provides the greatest stimulation of the muscles for them to grow?

P.S. These numbers are only estimates. Not tested.[/quote]

Your theory would be correct IF you ONLY accelerated the lighter weights fast enough, to simply overcome them/lift them, but since F = mass x acceleration, you can still produce maximum force by accelerating lighter weights as fast as you possibly can.

This in turn allows lighter weights to still be productive and also helps to activate your nervous system and muscles as the weights become heavier and heavier.

Ramping up has always allowed me to hit a higher top set and once I’m at that top set, I’ll typically do some straight sets or ramp down and up if I want more volume.

if bodybuilder A is on a train going north at 100 miles an hour and bodybuilder B is on a west bound train going 130 miles an hour, should you still ramp up?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Just do sets of 6-15 reps. That’s all it takes to get huge [/quote]

My arms pumped up 2" just reading that.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

My arms pumped up 2" just reading that.[/quote]

see you dont get big arms from direct arm training after all!! you just have to read!

I’ve read several articles from the 1940s & 50s and there were some very successful bodybuilders who ramped and others that would pick a weight that they could do for 5x3 or 5 or 8 and stay with it until they could lift it for 5x5 or 8 or 12. Nothing has changed in 60-70 yrs. Progression is the key factor, pick your poison.

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

My arms pumped up 2" just reading that.[/quote]

see you dont get big arms from direct arm training after all!! you just have to read![/quote]

But, I was reading with my arms.

what a pointless fucking thread…

OP - the question is why are you posting this question on here and not figuring it out for yourself in the gym? (sorry, I mean Lab)

Get your white coat on and shimmy on down there and tell us what you find out…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Depending on the day…

[quote]dre1986 wrote:
what a pointless fucking thread…

OP - the question is why are you posting this question on here and not figuring it out for yourself in the gym? (sorry, I mean Lab)

Get your white coat on and shimmy on down there and tell us what you find out…[/quote]

/thread

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
You’d need a lot of discs for that man… I’d go with plates, personally.
[/quote]

oh yes,plates,my english is not so good,sorry lol[/quote]
Honest mistake, we call it discs here too (discos), and so do the spaniards. Must be a romance language thing.

Now, to the OP, your best bet is reverse ramping.

[quote]knee-gro wrote:

[quote]buzza wrote:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
You’d need a lot of discs for that man… I’d go with plates, personally.
[/quote]

oh yes,plates,my english is not so good,sorry lol[/quote]
Honest mistake, we call it discs here too (discos), and so do the spaniards. Must be a romance language thing.

oh yeah, discos here dischi or “biscuits”,at the end of the day,plates are disc shaped lol

Now, to the OP, your best bet is reverse ramping.
[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
(obviously cause have you ever seen a buff rocket scientist?)[/quote]

Yes.

He works for NASA near Houston and looks like a house with a head.[/quote]

He must have been lying or something [/quote]

He was pretty active in the church also.

Hey, it’s Texas. I heard there are dentists who lift weights here too. I personally don’t believe that one.[/quote]

black dentists that lift weights? next you’ll tell me there are chinese muslims, or black jews. or asian nurses that lift weights. no such thing…