Why Americans Love Football

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
Football and Rugby can’t be compared. They are completely different.

Football has a jacked up 300 pound man running full speed at you, you know you’re gonna get leveled, stand, deliver the ball to the reciever, eat the hit, and get back up the next play to do it again.

Football is knowing that every play, might be your last play. Every day you know you may never step back out to play again, and to give it 100% of what you have.

Football is 16 games. Every game counts. You lay it on the line each and every time.

It is a game for warriors. Americans are warriors. Plain and simple.

Lets not look at the NFL players. Lets look at the lower levels. High School kids train, diet, workout year round for a shot to wear a uniform, or play in one game. I have seen six year olds working out for ankle biter leagues in their front yards in 100 degree heat, because they WANT to start. Young men will pay for college, then walk on and play football, just to say they were ON the team. This is the dedication and drive and American Spirit that HH was talking about. Football in its purest form. [/quote]

Are you serious? Americans are warriors? How do people become so blind to collective thought and lose any sort of individual interpretation. Sure some Americans may be warriors, we call them soliders, but this by no means is meant to say by being American your genetics seem to make you a noble warrior of upstanding character, give me a break, pathetic.

It’s a sport, it’s a game, I understand when people love certain things whether it be Star Trek, Anime, MMA, martial arts, they seem to attempt to build it to god-like importance, but let’s be real.

The original poster trying to tie in his own pseudo-brainwashed political agenda with a sport and compare it to footie as if soccer is somehow a weak sport is loserish. The funniest part is when he talks about his past coached players “messing up from time to time” well welcome to the real world they are human, they don’t play a sport to fucking be better human beings and protect America with Captain Planet against Al Qaoeda, they play becuase they enjoy physical activity, because they want to get some high school pussy, because they want to be part of a group, which explains the moronic nature of Fraternities.

• Football is about slagging the pigskin with the guys and going back for a hot spring skinny dip for mutual back massages.

• Football is about being part of a group and not getting your ass kicked.

• Football is about the proud U S of A and going to war every night on the turf.

• Football is about respecting lady liberty and uncle sam.

[quote]abominabelsnoman wrote:
Yeah any given sunday was truly horrible…it could never compare to friday night lights, which is my favorite sports movie. Its funny how I am a die-hard football fan and yet my favorite sports movie criticizes the game more than it glorifies it…[/quote]

99.9% of football movies are absolutely horrific, largely due to their in-game action.

Not every hit in a football game results in the person getting tackled doing a fucking backflip… I can’t stand that

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
TeeVee69 wrote:

Agreed. With the pads and helmets, American football defenders almost instinctively try to “run through” an opponent, accelerating at the point of impact. Rugby defenders without the pads and helmet appear to “let up” at the point of impact for the most part.

This is an important, and one of the only valid points of this whole thread.

I will never bash rugby, because I think it’s a tough as shit game, and I respect anybody who aggressively plays it.

However, without a helmet, a rugby player (unless they have a death wish) has to put their head out of the way, and use their shoulder, when making a hit.

It’s a totally different feeling of recklessness when you sprint full speed at another huge, sprinting individual, and lead with your head…[/quote]

I was about ready to mention that. People dont realize that the extent of padding on players isnt to protect from the impact of the collision, that is going to rock you no matter what (honestly it seems worse with pads a lot because of the the run through point and the fact pads give a big square non elusive target to hit), but the helmet will break bones on contact. Anybody that ever had a thigh pad slide on them and got speared can probably tell you about how they couldnt walk right for a good month.

American football hits are exponentially harder than Rugby hits, that really isnt up for debate in my mind for the reasons posted above. The big arguement for how sissy football is comes from rugby being played longer with less breaks…I fail to see how getting hit by men who are tired and not moving at full speed is more manly than having to go all out and rock someone every play.

i now live in japan, and for a sec i was going crazy not gettin my NYGiants games, but thru bittorrent and the nfl on cable and nfl europe growing all the time i get most games, so yesterday while flipping thru the channels i came across the rugby world finals, between new zealand and i think australia, now granted i was thc laced, so i don’t shit about rugby except thats it’s constantly moving, a lot of high tackles, some nice hits, none of the starts and stops of our game, and from what i can make out there are set plays, sort of!

someone correct me if i wrong, but football as i know it, yo, is violent poetry, u have cats that can move 40 yards in 4.whatever seconds, weighting say 250lbs added another 50-60lbs of equipment, man please…rugby to american is like field hockey to ice hockey, no comparison…

i’ve played football since i can remember, and all that equipment don’t mean jack when ur blindsided, what about when u can see it coming and gotta stand in there or deliver blow to that hulking mofo that shredded the line and is heading directly at U!!

and the shit that goes on in the pile…sheesh…or being out on an island against the other teams best receiver, one on one…the varibles of the game makes it one of the most brutally beautiful sports…soccer yeah ok…

[quote]BFBullpup wrote:

(text)
[/quote]

Having played both, it’s not that I think rugby is crap. They are both fantastic sports - it isn’t an ‘either-or’.

Both are physical. One is not the sissified version of the other. Football is the more violent of the two - the presence of pads makes football players put their bodies into more precarious positions at higher speeds. Rugby players would never tackle like football players.

The point is rugby is tough and football is tough. Anyone who has played both knows one is not a weaker version of the other.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
Look, all I have to say is you do NOT know pain in sport until you play American FB. I’d put Rugby in the same league, but the dynamics of the two sports are widely different. American football makes the only sport I know where you have to steadfastly stick to your assignment and remain highly disciplined and focused all while being subjected to brutal physical pain, blazing speed and very, very intimidating opponents. I’ve got respect for rugby and soccer, but I have to point out to you rugby players that call FB a pussy sport don’t know WTF you’re talking about. Most American FB fans and players don’t call rugy a pussy sport, so I invite you to strap up and play our game and see how “weak” it really is. [/quote]

I agree. Rugby is a rugged game, no doubt. However, there is so much planning and preparation that goes into football…there’s nothing like being a receiver and knowing that you have to go over the middle, and that as soon as you catch that ball, you’re going to get fucking murdered by a linebacker.

This is why I always liked defense better…

Unless of course, you were the poor Los Angeles Ram linebacker who was flattened on this famous run by the great Earl Campbell. Ouch!

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
This is why I always liked defense better…[/quote]

Offensive players can dish it out too. It’s brutal no matter what side of the ball you’re on.

Some of the biggest hits I’ve seen and been a part of were on special teams though. Nothing teaches you to put your head on a swivel like being blindsided at full speed.

I didn’t know that the value of a sport is measured by the amount of bruises and broken bones.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Worst. Post. Ever.

I love how you equate the being cowards with playing soccer. Your powers of deductive reasoning are startling.

I love American football a lot and have my whole life… but to paint your average football player as a model citizen is hilarious. Go scan a few D-1 programs and then tell me they represent the best among us.

You make them sound the equivalent of Army Rangers who put their lives on the line for our country… when their just playing a damn game. A good game, mind you, but just a game.

If you could only be funny, maybe your posts would be worth something… anything.[/quote]

Go back to being a guest on Springer.

HH

[quote]BFBullpup wrote:
American football is sissified rugby. [/quote]

American Football = Rugby + intellect

HH

[quote]supermick wrote:

your the master of plagerism as has been pointed out in this thread.
In addition whats with all this ‘our military rules the world’ bull shit.
You ask your friends in the Gulf who the bad asses are. If you have any friends.

Your shit at soccer, you have no coordination. Your girlfriend told me so.

I fucking hate the all blacks too.

Fuck you all.

[/quote]

Mick, congrats! The last ‘thing’ you wrote was actually a sentence. You’re improving! Someday, when you can actually write a paragraph, we’ll have a party!!

HH

Any of you who have seen that NCAA film they make linebackers and DBs watch at the beginning of the year know that football is by far the most dangerous sport.

In football, you can’t let up for even a milisecond between whistles or you will end up seriously hurt. You can’t pull up and you can’t try to avoid a collision or you will get seriously hurt.

Sure it’s only 10-14 seconds at a time, but those are the most intense seconds of your life.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
supermick wrote:

your the master of plagerism as has been pointed out in this thread.
In addition whats with all this ‘our military rules the world’ bull shit.
You ask your friends in the Gulf who the bad asses are. If you have any friends.

Your shit at soccer, you have no coordination. Your girlfriend told me so.

I fucking hate the all blacks too.

Fuck you all.

Mick, congrats! The last ‘thing’ you wrote was actually a sentence. You’re improving! Someday, when you can actually write a paragraph, we’ll have a party!!

HH

[/quote]

Thanks!

You WILL still be a total dick regardless of said party.

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:
Are you serious? Americans are warriors? How do people become so blind to collective thought and lose any sort of individual interpretation. Sure some Americans may be warriors, we call them soliders, but this by no means is meant to say by being American your genetics seem to make you a noble warrior of upstanding character, give me a break, pathetic.

It’s a sport, it’s a game, I understand when people love certain things whether it be Star Trek, Anime, MMA, martial arts, they seem to attempt to build it to god-like importance, but let’s be real.

The original poster trying to tie in his own pseudo-brainwashed political agenda with a sport and compare it to footie as if soccer is somehow a weak sport is loserish. The funniest part is when he talks about his past coached players “messing up from time to time” well welcome to the real world they are human, they don’t play a sport to fucking be better human beings and protect America with Captain Planet against Al Qaoeda, they play becuase they enjoy physical activity, because they want to get some high school pussy, because they want to be part of a group, which explains the moronic nature of Fraternities.

• Football is about slagging the pigskin with the guys and going back for a hot spring skinny dip for mutual back massages.

• Football is about the proud U S of A and going to war every night on the turf.

[/quote]

You know in reading your post I could only sense your bitterness toward football, and football players, and afformentioned “group” The feeling that I get off of you is that you were never accepted in that group and are now bitter.

Furthermore, my genetics do make me a warrior, not a soldier. You may do some research and you will see the medals and honors won by my family in every conflict in American history.

“Soldiers march, while warriors dance” Anonymous

Soldiers follow orders and have a job, while warriors live the lifestyle.

What the original poster was talking about, and cited references to back it up, was about how football and the American spirit (which I see you lack as well) are tied together. In the American spirit and football, there is never I can’t, instead its how can I? This is the trait that makes America uniquely great. It will continue to make said warriors great even without your help.

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
EmperialChina wrote:

You know in reading your post I could only sense your bitterness toward football, and football players, and afformentioned “group” The feeling that I get off of you is that you were never accepted in that group and are now bitter.

Furthermore, my genetics do make me a warrior, not a soldier. You may do some research and you will see the medals and honors won by my family in every conflict in American history.

What the original poster was talking about, and cited references to back it up, was about how football and the American spirit (which I see you lack as well) are tied together. In the American spirit and football, there is never I can’t, instead its how can I? This is the trait that makes America uniquely great. It will continue to make said warriors great even without your help. [/quote]

That was very well put. You’ve brilliantly summed up everything I tried to say, better than I could. Good post!!

HH

I honestly feel bad for HeadHunter and people like him. He epitomizes the “Dumb American” stereotype.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
TrainerinDC wrote:
EmperialChina wrote:

What the original poster was talking about, and cited references to back it up, was about how football and the American spirit (which I see you lack as well) are tied together. In the American spirit and football, there is never I can’t, instead its how can I? This is the trait that makes America uniquely great. It will continue to make said warriors great even without your help.

That was very well put. You’ve brilliantly summed up everything I tried to say, better than I could. Good post!!

HH

[/quote]

HH you have found a friend. I completely disagree about the whole warrior ethos. Sports allow one to show character rather than build it.

Your both a bit guilty of reading one too many self help books/football coaching manuals. In addition the sales pitch mentality you are both expressing is very very american. And that is not what makes America uniquely great.

HH is a troll and now he has a friend to join in on his nationalistic rantings and frown on the lack of phisicality of other team sports world wide.

Great.

[quote]supermick wrote:

HH you have found a friend. I completely disagree about the whole warrior ethos. Sports allow one to show character rather than build it.
[/quote]

So according to you character is born into someone? No. Character has to be developed like anything else. Sports is an avenue to develop that character.

You were correct about one thing, the warrior ethos is real, and there are many who live by it. (Kind of like all those who claim to be Jedi Knights in England, except honor is a useful trait, jedi-ism is just plain stupid)

[quote] Your both a bit guilty of reading one too many self help books/football coaching manuals.
In addition the sales pitch mentality you are both expressing is very very american. [/quote]

I have never in my life read a self help book or a football coaching manual. I feel the abililty to teach, and sell, are not abilities that can be learned, you either have it or you do not. I have been working with Special Olympics on a volunteer basis coaching their teams for several years, for free, to use my strength and knowledge to help those less fortunate than myself. I strive to get others to work with me, and help others. I have been working hard for, and standing up for, what I believe in since I was strong enough to stand. If that mentality makes me American, than I wish that everyone was an American such as this, this world would be a much better place for all involved.

[quote]And that is not what makes America uniquely great.
[/quote]

Then would you like to enlighten me what makes America great? If its not our spirit, or mentality, or pride than what is it?

[quote] HH is a troll and now he has a friend to join in on his nationalistic rantings and frown on the lack of phisicality of other team sports world wide.

Great.[/quote]

Maybe others insulted soccer, or rugby, but I did NOT. Perhaps you should be sure who you are speaking to before you speak.

Where is there any harm to you that I am an American, am proud of it, and love football? How does that affect your life in any way, shape or form?

Dang, this thread blew up since I posted. Anyway, I wasn’t trying to compare rugby to football. I just wanted to make it known that if you tried playing football you would have a little more respect for it. I’ve never played rugby or even watched a game so I won’t comment on it. As far as people proclaiming in Kellen Winslow fashion that football players are warriors, I think that its an embarrassment to the sport. Soldiers are getting killed and killing, and you think that youre a warrior because you can take a hit… Take a bullet and then say something. I’m not in the Armed Forces, I just played football and I don’t consider myself a warrior. I consider myself a hardworking student of the game, and a good one at that.

[quote]supermick wrote:
tveddy wrote:
TrainerinDC wrote:
Lol now I wanna watch Any Given Sunday thanks to your comment.

Thats the worst football movie I’ve ever seen in my life. The only football movie that is even remotely close to being that bad is the one with Keanu Reeves, but considering what any given sunday had to work with they completely screwed it up. If you want to watch a good football movie, watch Necessary Roughness, Rudy, The Program, or Friday Night Lights, or the old The Longest Yard.

As far as football or rugby, we had a few aussie foreign exchange students and they thought that football was for pansies because we wore pads. That was until they put the pads on. After that they changed their mind.

Yet again HH as masterminded a fucking pointless thread. He’s not happy with rubbishing soccer, now he wants to compare Rugby with US Fotball.

[/quote]