T Nation

Why America Is Fat

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3917677/displaymode/1107/s/2/framenumber/10/

http://www.cliphaven.com/pictures/stairmaster

From my (European) point of view one factor is that you Americans use very large portions in food.
I saw a documentary aired here on nationl italian TV that shows how big you eat.
In the stores you buy 16eggs-box,3 liters of orange juyce (this quantities do not exist in Europe).
And when you americans go to a fast food your small sizes correspond to a large size in Europe.
I am not exagerating,it is really so.
Also coocks who worked in both Europe and USA were interviewed and all agreed that americans like very fatty and greasy foods with a lot of toppings…
…gnummy…I’m gonna move to the USA
Horazio.

if you do a hard leg workout I can see not useing the stairs…

There are also old people who cant make the stairs.

Walking your dog from your car isnt a big deal it would just get boreing and I would be afraid to hurt the dog.

I’m not entirely sure where that documentary was filmed, but eggs often come in packages of 12 and I have yet to see a 3 liter container of orange juice. Though some of the things served in restaurants are absolutelty atrocious. I live in Georgia, for reference.

Now this may just be me but I never understood the whole driving to the gym, then hitting the cardio machine and doing your workout…I personally make it a point to walk/bike/run to the gym…unless its raining then I simply wuss out (about 4 miles from my place, not far I know but theres my 1/2 hour of cardio) then I’m all warmed up and ready to go
the first picture looks like a half decent day, so why the idiot wouldn’t be walking his dog(in the traditional manner) is beyond me

[quote]Horazio wrote:
From my (European) point of view one factor is that you Americans use very large portions in food.
I saw a documentary aired here on nationl italian TV that shows how big you eat.
In the stores you buy 16eggs-box,3 liters of orange juyce (this quantities do not exist in Europe).
And when you americans go to a fast food your small sizes correspond to a large size in Europe.
I am not exagerating,it is really so.
Also coocks who worked in both Europe and USA were interviewed and all agreed that americans like very fatty and greasy foods with a lot of toppings…
…gnummy…I’m gonna move to the USA
Horazio.
[/quote]

I am also from Europe and living in Europe. Stop being smug, we’re not far behind.

Food - much moreso than inactivity - is what is making Americans fat. No amount of activity would undo how most Americans eat.

Aside from the gross examples of laziness shown in those pictures, I think that many Americans are fat because of frequent eating at restaurants. I know many people who claim to be too busy to prepare a lot of their own meals, so they rely on fast food and other restaurants.

It seems like the food (even at the nicer places) tends to be significantly greasier, saltier and higher carb. than the food I prepare at home.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
if you do a hard leg workout I can see not useing the stairs…

There are also old people who cant make the stairs.

Walking your dog from your car isnt a big deal it would just get boreing and I would be afraid to hurt the dog.[/quote]

You don’t think walking a dog from your car is a big deal? Unless a person is disabled and cannot walk, it’s pathetic. Especially with an energy crisis looming.

[quote]Carbon-12 wrote:
I’m not entirely sure where that documentary was filmed, but eggs often come in packages of 12 and I have yet to see a 3 liter container of orange juice. Though some of the things served in restaurants are absolutelty atrocious. I live in Georgia, for reference.[/quote]

I get my eggs in cartons of 18.

[quote]csuson wrote:
n3wb wrote:
if you do a hard leg workout I can see not useing the stairs…

There are also old people who cant make the stairs.

Walking your dog from your car isnt a big deal it would just get boreing and I would be afraid to hurt the dog.

You don’t think walking a dog from your car is a big deal? Unless a person is disabled and cannot walk, it’s pathetic. Especially with an energy crisis looming. [/quote]

Plus the dog has to shit in the road.

[quote]LionTing wrote:
Horazio wrote:
From my (European) point of view one factor is that you Americans use very large portions in food.
I saw a documentary aired here on nationl italian TV that shows how big you eat.
In the stores you buy 16eggs-box,3 liters of orange juyce (this quantities do not exist in Europe).
And when you americans go to a fast food your small sizes correspond to a large size in Europe.
I am not exagerating,it is really so.
Also coocks who worked in both Europe and USA were interviewed and all agreed that americans like very fatty and greasy foods with a lot of toppings…
…gnummy…I’m gonna move to the USA
Horazio.

I am also from Europe and living in Europe. Stop being smug, we’re not far behind.[/quote]

Yeah plenty of fatties in England. Think we are second behind the US.

As Shugart has said before most Americans are on the Sumo diet. They gorge out on two monstrocious meals per day late in the afternoon or evening and shortly thereafter go to sleep. The great majority of non training people I know don’t eat breakfast and eat late in the afternoon when they are starving.

D

[quote]AdamC wrote:
LionTing wrote:
Horazio wrote:

I am also from Europe and living in Europe. Stop being smug, we’re not far behind.

Yeah plenty of fatties in England. Think we are second behind the US.
[/quote]

I don’t know about that! I have met a few Australians who are laying claim to that honor. :slight_smile:

I do get sick of listening to the smug euros though, and have been to Europe enough times to know that they are attempting to catch up to us.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
From my (European) point of view one factor is that you Americans use very large portions in food.
I saw a documentary aired here on nationl italian TV that shows how big you eat.
In the stores you buy 16eggs-box,3 liters of orange juyce (this quantities do not exist in Europe).
And when you americans go to a fast food your small sizes correspond to a large size in Europe.
I am not exagerating,it is really so.
Also coocks who worked in both Europe and USA were interviewed and all agreed that americans like very fatty and greasy foods with a lot of toppings…
…gnummy…I’m gonna move to the USA
Horazio.
[/quote]

Eggs come in 18 packs and I haven’t seen a 3 liter OJ container.

But let’s be honest, eggs and oj don’t cause obesity. If the average person ate 18 eggs and drank 3 litres of oj over the course of 7 breakfasts, that person would likely be a lot healthier than the typical American who instead, skips breakfast and drinks a litre of diet coke to go with their “lowfat” muffin from Costco or whole grain “deli style” bagel with lowfat cream cheese.

Processed foods and laziness are the main causes of obesity in my opinion, as well as the misinformation and lack of initiative of people to do their own research about the body and nutrition rather than relying on the 10 o’clock news and People magazine.

DB