Why Am I So Cold?

[quote]debraD wrote:
rondastarr wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I sure hope you figure it out because every woman I know claims they are cold all of the time no matter how many puddles of sweat are leaking from me at the time.

Maybe all women need portable heaters.

I was just researching for debra’s topic and came across this in reference to yours, it goes with a theory I’ve had…

http://www.healthcentral.com/fitorfat/408/38850.html

Thanks! That’s quite interesting.

Professor X wrote:
debraD wrote:
I’m typically warmer than most people any other time of the day, but just after exercise I’m experiencing this.

Vasoconstriction of blood vessels nearest the surface of your skin and the activation of the fight or flight response would cause that alone.

Would that explain the pasty look also? I found it odd that after exercise I tend to be more pale rather than red-faced until I warm up later, then I’m red-faced for hours.

[/quote]

Yes, the pale skin would indicate that is very likely what is going on.

So would this be related to turning red in cold weather, as some people tend to do (such as myself) ?

I wonder if it is simply a function of a randomized distribution of blood vessels that varies between individuals.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
So would this be related to turning red in cold weather, as some people tend to do (such as myself) ?

I wonder if it is simply a function of a randomized distribution of blood vessels that varies between individuals.[/quote]

Your body is trying to stay warm so noticing some flushing when cold would be expected. Her body’s response is as if she were about to be in a fight. Blood is being rushed to muscle and away from extremities to aid in combat or flight.

I’m the opposite for some reason. I always keep the window in my room open and people say it’s very cold in here, but I’m comfortable. I’m almost never really cold. People are always complaining how cold it is, but I think that it has something to do with their poor nutrition and sedentary lifestyle. Women especially are cold all the time for some reason.

[/quote]

Dont you live in SoCal? 55 degrees and sunny on Christmas morning doesnt constitute cold weather. :slight_smile:

NorCal, holmes. It rains one day and is hot the next. Love it here, though, best weather/geography in the world.

I have to agree that men are good for many things and 1 being my ice cold feet on his hot legs.

Hmmm…

Do you take anything like BCAAs?

I used to notice a few odd things after lifting heavy. I started stretching more after I was done (I used to skip stretching afterwards), and started taking BCAAs.

I find that I get cold much easier than I used to, so I am very curious to see what yours will turn out to be.

Renee

No Renee, I don’t take BCAAs. I will mention it to my doc next visit and let you know. He’ll likely roll his eyes and tell me to put on a sweater though :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]debraD wrote:
No Renee, I don’t take BCAAs. I will mention it to my doc next visit and let you know. He’ll likely roll his eyes and tell me to put on a sweater though :P[/quote]

Pffft. Men!

A few observations:

1. It’s November.
  2. You live in BC.
  3. You’re a chick.

A few questions:

1. How many kcal per kg body weight do you consume?
  2. Do you smoke?
  3. Is is mostly in your limbs (hands/feet) or is it all over?
  4. What are you wearing right now? (no really, for scientific purposes)

Don’t worry once menopause hits you’ll not be complaining about how cold you are.

What is the proper response when some girl exclaims, “I’m cold”?

a) No shit
b) Oh no! Here, take my sweater QUICK before you freeze!!!
c) Again?
d) The thermostat is set on “HELL”. Maybe you should sleep outside.
e) Good, I was sitting here wondering how I could sweat more and now I have an excuse to turn the heater on!

I just want to know how to approach this situation correctly.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
[/quote]

Confucius said, “The proper response will depend on the female’s mood,” right before he shot himself after trying to explain to his wife why she is always cold.

a) No shit
c) Again?
e) Good, I was sitting here wondering how I could sweat more and now I have an excuse to turn the heater on!

I just want to know how to approach this situation correctly.[/quote]

Mention that you’ve been thinking about turning the office/home-gym into a spare bedroom so that you can get some sleep. That way she can have the heat set to 90 and 15 blankets on the bed and you can have a room with a normal temperature, and possibly sleep with some fresh air.

It won’t make her feel any better nor any warmer but at least you’ll be comfortable.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
A few observations:

1. It’s November.
  2. You live in BC.
  3. You’re a chick.

A few questions:

2. Do you smoke?

Don’t worry once menopause hits you’ll not be complaining about how cold you are.[/quote]

1. I eat about 3000 cals a day and I weigh 145
  2. No
  3. All over
  4. A lime green polyester pantsuit (it’s rather smart if I don’t say so myself)

a) No shit
c) Again?

I just want to know how to approach this situation correctly.[/quote]

The only proper response is “Have my piece of Chocolate cake, dear, oh and how about a massage?”

[quote]debraD wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
A few observations:

1. It’s November.
  2. You live in BC.
  3. You’re a chick.

A few questions:

2. Do you smoke?

Don’t worry once menopause hits you’ll not be complaining about how cold you are.

1. I eat about 3000 cals a day and I weigh 145
  2. No
  3. All over
  4. A lime green polyester pantsuit (it’s rather smart if I don’t say so myself)[/quote]

Is that your winter-weight or do you maintain that all year-round? In the wild cold climate animals have to eat for the changing seasons. Think like a bear.

Besides, polyester is not very insulating, try wool and cotton blends.

You may just need to start eating more chocolate cake and call it your winter warm-up prescription. It’s medicine.

Did you not read her original post? (men!)

She said she gets cold after a workout. It is event-specific.

She said she gets cold after a workout. It is event-specific.[/quote]

So that stops us from making jokes?

I answered her question already.

PonceDeLeon wrote:

She said she gets cold after a workout. It is event-specific.

So that stops us from making jokes?

I answered her question already.[/quote]

Jokes are fine. I was referring to this:

Son, don’t make me shut down your local Whattaburger.