T Nation

Why Am I So Cold?

After exercise, for a couple of hours, I’m totally chilled to the bone. Even after eating, hot bath, warm, dry clothes and hot tea, I’m still soooo cold and can’t shake it.

What the hell? Anyone else have this? It seems to be worse this past couple of months.

you live in Canada and it’s Novemenber, just sayin :stuck_out_tongue:

You do know the remedy for hypothermia, right?

could it be low blood pressure issues?

Maybe you have no body fat?
:stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
could it be low blood pressure issues?[/quote]

Could be blood volume; how much water do you drink in a day Deb? It’s possible you don’t have enough blood pumping around to pool where it needs to be as well as warm the periphery.

You could be anemic…

I sure hope you figure it out because every woman I know claims they are cold all of the time no matter how many puddles of sweat are leaking from me at the time.

Maybe all women need portable heaters.

Women admitting they are cold?

Since when has honesty been an epidemic?

X, I am the same. All my exes and … “house guests” … have called me a portable, nuclear reactor. I should charge PG&E rates when chicks ask to cuddle.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I sure hope you figure it out because every woman I know claims they are cold all of the time no matter how many puddles of sweat are leaking from me at the time.

Maybe all women need portable heaters.[/quote]

I was just researching for debra’s topic and came across this in reference to yours, it goes with a theory I’ve had…

http://www.healthcentral.com/fitorfat/408/38850.html

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Maybe all women need portable heaters.[/quote]

That’s why God gave men legs.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:
could it be low blood pressure issues?

Could be blood volume; how much water do you drink in a day Deb? It’s possible you don’t have enough blood pumping around to pool where it needs to be as well as warm the periphery.
[/quote]

I do tend to have low blood pressure, at least according to the monitor at work but it has some crazy readings at times so I don’t know if I should trust it.

I usually drink at least the recommended 8 8oz glasses a day plus loads of tea, coffee, some milk and mineral water.

[quote]debraD wrote:
buffalokilla wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:
could it be low blood pressure issues?

Could be blood volume; how much water do you drink in a day Deb? It’s possible you don’t have enough blood pumping around to pool where it needs to be as well as warm the periphery.

I do tend to have low blood pressure, at least according to the monitor at work but it has some crazy readings at times so I don’t know if I should trust it.

I usually drink at least the recommended 8 8oz glasses a day plus loads of tea, coffee, some milk and mineral water.

[/quote]

There isn’t one piece of proven scientific evidence at all that states, “8 glasses of water a day are necessary for perfect health”.

I’m typically warmer than most people any other time of the day, but just after exercise I’m experiencing this.

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I sure hope you figure it out because every woman I know claims they are cold all of the time no matter how many puddles of sweat are leaking from me at the time.

Maybe all women need portable heaters.

I was just researching for debra’s topic and came across this in reference to yours, it goes with a theory I’ve had…

http://www.healthcentral.com/fitorfat/408/38850.html
[/quote]

That was interesting, Ronda.

It’s weird that they mention fit women having higher temperature settings. I feel like I’m more prone to feel cold on the days I work out, particularly if I both run and lift (so significant energy output). Not immediately, but several hours later.

[quote]debraD wrote:
I’m typically warmer than most people any other time of the day, but just after exercise I’m experiencing this. [/quote]

Vasoconstriction of blood vessels nearest the surface of your skin and the activation of the fight or flight response would cause that alone.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
debraD wrote:
buffalokilla wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:
could it be low blood pressure issues?

Could be blood volume; how much water do you drink in a day Deb? It’s possible you don’t have enough blood pumping around to pool where it needs to be as well as warm the periphery.

I do tend to have low blood pressure, at least according to the monitor at work but it has some crazy readings at times so I don’t know if I should trust it.

I usually drink at least the recommended 8 8oz glasses a day plus loads of tea, coffee, some milk and mineral water.

There isn’t one piece of proven scientific evidence at all that states, “8 glasses of water a day are necessary for perfect health”.
[/quote]

Oh I realize that, but since it has been said so often this is what I’ve always aimed for. It doesn’t hurt, at least as much as dehydration.

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I sure hope you figure it out because every woman I know claims they are cold all of the time no matter how many puddles of sweat are leaking from me at the time.

Maybe all women need portable heaters.

I was just researching for debra’s topic and came across this in reference to yours, it goes with a theory I’ve had…

http://www.healthcentral.com/fitorfat/408/38850.html
[/quote]

Thanks! That’s quite interesting.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
debraD wrote:
I’m typically warmer than most people any other time of the day, but just after exercise I’m experiencing this.

Vasoconstriction of blood vessels nearest the surface of your skin and the activation of the fight or flight response would cause that alone.[/quote]

Would that explain the pasty look also? I found it odd that after exercise I tend to be more pale rather than red-faced until I warm up later, then I’m red-faced for hours.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
rondastarr wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I sure hope you figure it out because every woman I know claims they are cold all of the time no matter how many puddles of sweat are leaking from me at the time.

Maybe all women need portable heaters.

I was just researching for debra’s topic and came across this in reference to yours, it goes with a theory I’ve had…

http://www.healthcentral.com/fitorfat/408/38850.html

That was interesting, Ronda.

It’s weird that they mention fit women having higher temperature settings. I feel like I’m more prone to feel cold on the days I work out, particularly if I both run and lift (so significant energy output). Not immediately, but several hours later. [/quote]

My theory was always that because women carried more fat and fat is less vascularized then muscle that this is why women tend to feel cold more often… thought this is disproven by the fat that most fat men are not prone to feeling cold.

I am begining to think that there isn’t any one certain thing that makes people run colder or hotter then others. Maybe it is as simple as having blood vessles closer to the surface allowing for more heat to escape.
All I know is that I was cold when I was fat and I am cold now that I am thinner…

Related to after exercise only, I think it’s a low blood pressure issue. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to get a stress test or something like that!