T Nation

Why Am I Not Vascular?

I am 21 years old and have been working out for a full year. about 4 days a week. I am 5’8 and 160 lbs. Even though i have gotten bigger, I have noticed that I am not that vascular when I am at the gym or just flexing. Why is that? I don’t have defined veins anywhere, even on my bicep. Mostly I see it in the inside of my elbow.

When I was in middle school I remember showing off how I could get veins to pop out when I flexed. Perhaps it is because I was naturally lower in my fat then, but I do not consider myself that bulky or doughy now.

Should I be drinking more water? I think that could be an answer since I know I don’t drink as much as I should. Would that help?

If there’s one thing women love, it’s a vascular man.

[quote]drnemer wrote:
I have noticed that I am not that vascular when I am at the gym or just flexing. Why is that? I don’t have defined veins anywhere, even on my bicep. Mostly I see it in the inside of my elbow.[/quote]
Vascularity is a combination of genetics, leanness, hydration/carb intake, and pump.

Bodybuilders can show up on contest day ripped with super-low bodyfat, but if they’re holding water or they’re not carbed up or pumped up properly, they won’t be as vascular as they might like.

If your physique is best described as “not that bulky or doughy now”, I don’t think you’re quite lean enough to be sporting veiny arms on a regular basis. You might get a little more vascular during or right after training, especially if you have a carb/protein drink while you lift, but that’s probably it.

Yes, drinking water is pretty much always a good idea in general. Not that it’ll necessarily help in this situation.

Have you taken an actual measurement of your bodyfat, like at least a bunch of caliper measurements? One’s own eyes often underestimates bodyfat percentage a lot, from personal experience.

Nothing wrong with drinking more water, especially if you’ve been working hard at the gym.