Why am I Not Getting Any Stronger?

dude you are 155 lbs, you can’t be stronger years after years if your not bigger ! get the shit done and get some weight !!

In the middle 2015 I bulked heavy for about 6 months doing 531. I got up to 185lbs bodyweight. My lifting stats where
225 bench 300 squat 350 deadlift. Maybe i did something wrong bit putting on weight did nothing for me and I got really fat. I’ve pretty much been recompinsating until last year. My lifts are still the same they where only now I way 30lbs less lol I see 145lbs powerlifting girls lift more than me all the time. I dont think im built to be big. I was 125 before i started lifting at 18yo lol

I don’t think anybody actually know about westside people try to create there own version of it. I’m kind of using the terms loosely so sorry I know amrap is not max effort. All I know is amrap is hard work and Max effort is hard work. All I did was watch a bunch of Louie Simmons seminar videos and read articles and looked at templates. Doesn’t make me an expert all I meant. Just thinking outside the box and trying to learn stuff

The problem I have come to with training twice a week is wanted to do something functional but not physicaly stressful my off days. And then I remembered westside style doing something like that

I have the perfect video by Dave Tate that might help

Is there a link or something I’ll watch it i don’t see anything

Send it later

Listen regarding training and recovery

2 Likes

Having run various 5/3/1 programs and also dabbled in some max effort work, I can say this simply is not true. I’ve never concerned myself with generating maximal strain in 5/3/1.

1 Like

I’m surprised that no one has asked you to do this yet:

please share a day of eating for you that totals 4000 calories. list all the foods and food amounts that you typically eat.

I just have such a hard time believing you’re legitimately stuck at 155 lbs after eating 4000 calories every single day for a year. Or did I misinterpret that? Did you not do that all year?

4 Likes

I had the same thought. Even went so far as to calculate the value in cals/lb/d. The answer was suggestive of being assisted–by a tapeworm.

6 Likes

I was at 3700 calories at the beginning of year 4000 cal for last 4 months

Here is a typical day, pretty much every meal is the same everyday only thing I change is dinner if i get bored but here it is typical day. It took me a lot of time adjusting these meals to were I don’t have to cook as much and food isn’t so bland. Kind of proud of this meal plan I came up with. Here is what I do

Meal 1 breakfast 6:00
4 eggs
14 ordia french fries baked
1 slice of pepper jack cheese
(Mashed together with ketchup)

Meal 2 15 min work break 9:00
100 grams oats
0.5 cup Apple sauce
2 tbs peanut butter

Meal 3 lunch 12:100
2 cups of brown or white rice (cooked)
0.5 cup of black beans (canned)
5 oz chunk chicken breast canned
2 tbs sour cream
Salsa
0.5 tbs Olive oil

Meal 4 Pre workout (eat lifting or not) 4:00
4 tbs natural peanut butter
16oz 2% milk

Meal 5 post workout and dinner 6:30
0.5 lbs 80/20 beef
2 cups white rice (cooked)
0.5 tbs Olive oil
(Smashed in bowl with ketchup)

Meal 6 before bed snack 9:00
16 oz milk
0.5 cup cottage cheese

Calories- 4008
Carbs- 406g
Fats- 173.5g
Protien - 202.5g

Must be watched:

2 Likes

Are your training maxes on point? Jim recommends starting a program being able to hit five strong fast reps with your TM. The ONLY people I’ve ever seen not get great results from 531 are those who set their TMs too high and are lifting too heavy and grinding a bunch of reps.

1 Like

Lol something’s not right about that

They should be on point. I do grind reps though. I feel like my weights might be too low. For example last week was supposed to be 215x5 and I did 15 reps

That’s fine. Just keep going. Sometimes I’ll hit 20 reps on my fives week. As long as the bar speed is fast, it should be fine. Grinding a bunch reps however, is more testing than training.

Don’t EVER raise your TM more than the prescribed amount. It’ll catch up eventually. Maybe you need to adjust your squat TM since you’re having trouble with it. What supplemental work are you doing for squat? Mine struggled like yours when I just did the three 531 sets each week. I like FSL 5x5, Boring but Strong 10x5, or Second Set Last 5x5 (but only after a reset for SSL to keep bar speed up) for the squat. Last year I raised my squat from 405x5 to 455x9 using those supplemental set ups.

I’m just catching up but I want to clarify two things for you.

1. You shouldn’t be grinding on 5/3/1. Technical failure is not grinding.

2. Squatting fast is not considered a fast or explosive movement. Jumping is an example of fast and explosive.

1 Like

Ya my supplemental work has been 5x5 squats after the 531 set usually with 205. Then leg press light 3 plates, and extensions, lunges and stuff just to finish it off. Feels pretty taxing by time I’m done. Then im sore for 5 to 7 days. Maybe too much supplemental work idk

I don’t see how squatting is not explosive. For example as in warming up to my working set I catch enough speed for the bar to catch some air at the top of the rep. As the weight gets heavier around 225 for me, it slows down but still pretty fast. I don’t see how that is not explosive. Building up tension and exploding out. Like what would this be called