Why Am I Getting Weaker?

I do the same work out schedule as usual, except I’m in college now and I only eat 2 meals a day (not including Surge) because I never get up for breakfast and 2/3 isn’t so abnormal compared to a lot of the freaky jocks in the gym, so I should be fine if they are.

I’m NOT. I expected to stagnate a little bit, but not GET WEAKER!? I understand that gaining muscle is 50/50 training/diet, but right now am I a 50/-100 or something? How do some people I know get away with it? I think I need to adapt my training to my new schedule.

Is there any type of exercise that distributes food energy evenly throughout the day? What kind of workout should I do? The one thing I do notice is that the freaky jocks tend to do lots of sets, like 5+, for each body part, while I only do 2-3 “heavy” sets, even though I use much less weight than they do. Would going for high volume work better with my “warrior diet” type schedule?

Overall, are there any notable diet/workout synergies at all?

I’m relatively new to this forum, and not the most qualified person here to give advice. That said, I went back and read some of your earlier posts, and feel it would be irresponsible not to comment on them.

In these two posts, you’re talking about how you think you’re eating too much, and don’t even eat when your body is clearly hungry:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1416094&pageNo=0#1417467
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1413451&pageNo=0#1413451

Here you’re talking about supplements to suppress your appetite:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1389746&pageNo=0#1389746

Finally, in the current post, you mention that you’re now only eating 2 meals per day.

Do you not understand that if you starve yourself, you will lose muscle? Do you really expect to maintain strength under those conditions? Get smart about your diet, and you will be able to at least MINIMIZE your muscle loss.

Out of curiosity – and please don’t take this as criticism, I’m genuinely concerned in light of your posting history – are you REALLY overweight, or could you possibly have an eating disorder instead?

I really am overweight, first of all. I’m not in the obese range, but I’m in the overweight BMI. For my muscular level, the BMI is likely adequate, since I’m not quite freaky yet. :wink: I resolved to get in better shape just the first of this year.

From the Warrior Diet article, I’ve found that my style of eating isn’t unusual, especially for college guys. At my point of development, losing fat is a lot more important than gaining muscle, even though both are important. I can’t bulk if I’m already fat, you see.

Obesity and its accompanying health problems run in my family. I sometimes wonder if I could focus on muscle first and then weight loss, but I really don’t need any more flab. I do upper body work 3x a week and squats 1x a week since I need leg strength for cardio. I do bent over rows for back.

If I can’t gain much in the way of strength or LBM, would going for hypertrophy and improvement over my existing muscle be a better idea?

You don’t eat enough, your body will find other sources of fuel, it’s that simple and you should already know that.

I’m in college and taking 21 credits right now and I fit in at least 5 meals so your excuse isn’t gonna fly. Eat more.

Eating enough times a day is just as important or more important for maintaining muscle and strength while dieting as it is for gaining.

[quote]slickid wrote:
You don’t eat enough, your body will find other sources of fuel, it’s that simple and you should already know that.

I’m in college and taking 21 credits right now and I fit in at least 5 meals so your excuse isn’t gonna fly. Eat more.[/quote]

Yeah. I was in college too. It doesn’t matter what time you wake up. It’s not like you’re sleeping 17 hrs a day. You can eat every few hours from the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
From the Warrior Diet article, I’ve found that my style of eating isn’t unusual, especially for college guys. At my point of development, losing fat is a lot more important than gaining muscle, even though both are important. I can’t bulk if I’m already fat, you see.[/quote]

The point of the Warrior Diet is to cycle between undereating and overeating in a single day. Something tells me you’re missing the overeating part by a wide margin.

I’d be very curious to know some of your stats: height, weight, calories per day, etc.

yea, im in college right now, and i find a way to fit in atleast 4-5 meals a day, no matter what time my classes are, i find ways…i bring protein shakes to class, sip on them throughout it, or even snack on protein bars through class…

the excuse of classes/college is definility not going to work…get seroius about your diet and lifting program, than get back to us on your progress…and stop watching what the “freaky jocks” do and find what works for you…good luck bro, keep us informed if you can fit it in you schedule ha jk, good luck

food=fuel no fuel no go

You are living in everybody’s world, but your own.

Do you follow them around to know what they do all day or do you know how freaky they could be if they were eating right. Even if they are fine that has nothing to do with you.

No.

It is however unusual for anybody with serious physique goals.

What?

You need to reassess your whole approach and forget what you’ve read or see other people doing.

Don’t take this the wrong way man, but you are adrift on a pitching sea of confusion.

You need to start over with a basic program and some relatively easily attainable eating habits.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
You are living in everybody’s world, but your own.

compared to a lot of the freaky jocks in the gym, so I should be fine if they are.

Do you follow them around to know what they do all day or do you know how freaky they could be if they were eating right. Even if they are fine that has nothing to do with you.

Is there any type of exercise that distributes food energy evenly throughout the day?

No.

From the Warrior Diet article, I’ve found that my style of eating isn’t unusual, especially for college guys

It is however unusual for anybody with serious physique goals.

If I can’t gain much in the way of strength or LBM, would going for hypertrophy and improvement over my existing muscle be a better idea?

What?

You need to reassess your whole approach and forget what you’ve read or see other people doing.

Don’t take this the wrong way man, but you are adrift on a pitching sea of confusion.

You need to start over with a basic program and some relatively easily attainable eating habits.[/quote]

yeah now that i reread the article, you have no idea what you are talking about…

You’re getting weaker because you’re undernourished.

I don’t know anyone who had good success on the warrior diet. Just because you want it to work doesn’t mean it will.

When trying to lose weight multiple small meals are better as it will trick your body into increasing your metabolism. On 2 meals a day you’re metabolism is probably around the same rate as a sloth’s which means you are burning minimal energy throughout the day. Add to that the stress of a workout and I can see why you are getting weaker.

In my opinion you need to read all of Berardi’s articles. Now. Then you need to follow someone’s workout program. Don’t design your own diet or program until you know exactly what you are doing.

I am very slack with my meals. Somedays I only eat 5! If I was trying to lose I’d be having small meals of mainly protein and fat with protein and carbs only before and after exercise.

Haha, that’s one of the most memorable quotes I’ve ever read here. As for the Warrior Diet, the long article is mostly philosophy and history, while Patterson’s guide I just checked out seems much more realistic. Still, 1-2 pounds of protein for just the first dinner looks insane!

I don’t have any protein shakes or glutamine, so my idea was to eat lunch instead as a substitute, and THEN have dinner as my big meal. I tend to crash between lunch and dinner though, unfortunately. Not always, but sometimes.

I think I should drink milk instead of water at lunch to keep insulin stable with casein, but those are still extra calories to think about.

EDIT:

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-039-training

This article showed the “typical” workout and says it’s terrible for CNS recovery, and it just happens to be exactly what I do. I’m frankly shocked that I found it.

Dude, eating breakfast is your first step to becomming lean. I spoke to a ex fatty, who lost 10Kg’s(22lbs) from just adding breakfast and drining more water.

I like they way you use college as an excuse for poor lifestyle habits. I realise its a little tough, but your body doesnt care if your a student or not.

You have to eat good sources fat, carbs and protein on a regular basis or accept the concequences.

Bro honestly, being in college is no excuse. Do you think its going to be any easier when you have a full time job and 2 kids to raise? How about the guys in the military? I know guys in iraq that take protien powder every were they go so they can mix it up in canteen water inbetween MRE meals. Come on man…

If your serious about this you’ll do what ever it takes. Wake up at 4 in the morning to fix your meals. Go to the bathroom Inbetween classes, mix up a protien shake with sink water. Eat boild egg whites as your walking. Step it up man, its not going to get any easier.

Also you said your trying to lose body fat. You get weaker if your weight drops too much, too fast.