Why am I a Called a Sellout?

[quote]jawara wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:
Black guys aren’t supposed to go skiing?! That one’s new for me.

I think most people are irresponsible and won’t be held accountable for their actions. It’s always more frustrating when you recognize it in a group you happen to be a member of.

I wouldn’t worry about the sellout label though. Regardless of what you do in life, someone, somewhere, will despise you for it and try to stick a label on you.

I guess not because I got made fun of for doing it. Surfing too.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s rare to see a black man in the lineup. My wife’s friend’s husband and he gets made fun of for surfing by his students.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:
When I said OJ did it I was a sellout. When Dave Chapplelle said OJ did it, it was funny.

When I say black men need to stop getting black women pregnant and leaving them (70% of black kids grow up without a father) I’m a sellout. When BO makes a speech on fathers day about the same topic he’s a visionary.

When I go skiing I’m a sellout. When Naughty By Nature makes a music video of themselves snowboarding it’s cool.

Why is it that when a black man speaks of being held accountable for your actions and not wanting handouts he’s a sellout, but when a black man seeks to perpetuate liberal values that lead more of the troubles that got him in trouble in the first place, its seen as progressive?

The problem is too much generalization of character and culture when speaking about ourselves.

Anyways,I think its just dealing with black people who have guilt of the truth and/or uneducated. Or sadly,just have racists views of the world themselves…which conjures up the “Uncle Tom” mentality.

This is 2008 and there is a giant gap of how the black community is as compared to years ago. There is just too much disparity in ideas and thinking because the only thing we have in common now is being black. We want to be equal part of society…yet we want to be separate. Makes for a lot of friction amongst us.[/quote]

I see it this way also. It is racism that is driving this. There is a significant portion of the black community that is predjudiced against white people. Because of this predjudice there has arisen a culture of animosity towards what they indentify as white culture.

ie If they identify getting good grades in school, graduating high school, going to college as white behaviour what is the alternative? Don’t get good grades in school, drop out of high school, don’t go on to higher education. If white people use the queens English what is the alternative? Ebonics.

The mentality is if a certain behaviour is associated with white people then black people need to do the exact opposite no matter how self destructive it is.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Questioning the validity of the justice system, strong families, and snowboarding are liberal values? And they lead society into trouble?

Wow. News to me.[/quote]

I dont know if your trying to be a smart ass or you arent understanding what I’m trying to say here, so I’ll spell it out for you.

Lets look at HIV in black women. Black women are getting infected at a much higher rate than anyone else. Well since HIV is an STD it either means black women are either having too many sexual partners or they are having sex with men that have sex with too many sex partners. The simple act of getting tested and only having sex with one person regardless of your sexual orientation would eliminate your chances of getting AIDS. BUT since we (I mean everbody)live in an age were sex out of wedlock is is the norm we increasing rates of HIV. Now alot of black people blame the HIV pandemic on “the white man”. Even if this were true “the man” isnt making anyone have sex with anyone so if you contract the disease it’s no ones fault but your own.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:
When I said OJ did it I was a sellout. When Dave Chapplelle said OJ did it, it was funny.

When I say black men need to stop getting black women pregnant and leaving them (70% of black kids grow up without a father) I’m a sellout. When BO makes a speech on fathers day about the same topic he’s a visionary.

When I go skiing I’m a sellout. When Naughty By Nature makes a music video of themselves snowboarding it’s cool.

Why is it that when a black man speaks of being held accountable for your actions and not wanting handouts he’s a sellout, but when a black man seeks to perpetuate liberal values that lead more of the troubles that got him in trouble in the first place, its seen as progressive?

The problem is too much generalization of character and culture when speaking about ourselves.

Anyways,I think its just dealing with black people who have guilt of the truth and/or uneducated. Or sadly,just have racists views of the world themselves…which conjures up the “Uncle Tom” mentality.

This is 2008 and there is a giant gap of how the black community is as compared to years ago. There is just too much disparity in ideas and thinking because the only thing we have in common now is being black. We want to be equal part of society…yet we want to be separate. Makes for a lot of friction amongst us.

I see it this way also. It is racism that is driving this. There is a significant portion of the black community that is predjudiced against white people. Because of this predjudice there has arisen a culture of animosity towards what they indentify as white culture.

ie If they identify getting good grades in school, graduating high school, going to college as white behaviour what is the alternative? Don’t get good grades in school, drop out of high school, don’t go on to higher education. If white people use the queens English what is the alternative? Ebonics.

The mentality is if a certain behaviour is associated with white people then black people need to do the exact opposite no matter how self destructive it is.

[/quote]

Yup. I’ve also gotten alot of shit speaking for “english” too.Whats really funny about that is that once I was working with some Ugandan soldiers and they asked me why I can speak but the other black people say ah be ah be ah be.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:

This is 2008 and there is a giant gap of how the black community is as compared to years ago. There is just too much disparity in ideas and thinking because the only thing we have in common now is being black. We want to be equal part of society…yet we want to be separate. Makes for a lot of friction amongst us.

I see it this way also. It is racism that is driving this. There is a significant portion of the black community that is prejudiced against white people. Because of this prejudice there has arisen a culture of animosity towards what they identify as white culture.

ie If they identify getting good grades in school, graduating high school, going to college as white behavior what is the alternative? Don’t get good grades in school, drop out of high school, don’t go on to higher education. If white people use the queens English what is the alternative? Ebonics.

The mentality is if a certain behavior is associated with white people then black people need to do the exact opposite no matter how self destructive it is.
[/quote]

Good observation…really.

[quote]jawara wrote:

Why is it that when a black man speaks of being held accountable for your actions and not wanting handouts he’s a sellout, but when a black man seeks to perpuate liberal values that lead more of the troubles that got him in trouble in the first place, its seen as progressive?

[/quote]

I get what you’re saying, but you are lying about the skiing. Not because your black (well, yeah, that is actually tough to swallow), but because you’re from Tennessee. Nobody from Tennessee skis regardless of color. You’re just plain lying.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Are you famous? Sounds to me it’s a deflection mechanism. The people you’re saying this to probably don’t want to accept reality … So, rather than actually think about what you’re saying and accept it or retort with a rational, well-thought argument they discredit any sense you make by labeling you a “sell out” effectively avoiding the conversation. Does that sound about right, Sell-Out?[/quote]

No I’m just a soldier. I’ve gone thru this type of thing all my life but it really came to head on another online forum thats full of liberals. One of them, a white chick even went as far to say that my heart is “white”. She of coarse is total pot smoking, super lefty moron that also calls all military memebers American terrorists.

[quote]pat wrote:
Did somebody really call you out on those things you mentioned?[/quote]

Yes. I wouldn’t have posted about it if it hadnt happened to me.

[quote]jawara wrote:
polo77j wrote:
Are you famous? Sounds to me it’s a deflection mechanism. The people you’re saying this to probably don’t want to accept reality … So, rather than actually think about what you’re saying and accept it or retort with a rational, well-thought argument they discredit any sense you make by labeling you a “sell out” effectively avoiding the conversation. Does that sound about right, Sell-Out?

No I’m just a soldier. I’ve gone thru this type of thing all my life but it really came to head on another online forum that’s full of liberals. One of them, a white chick even went as far to say that my heart is “white”. She of coarse is total pot smoking, super lefty moron that also calls all military members American terrorists.[/quote]

Maybe I’m naive or whatever…but what does being liberal have to do with all of this. Are white people calling you a sellout??

[quote]jawara wrote:

Why is it that when a black man speaks of being held accountable for your actions and not wanting handouts he’s a sellout, but when a black man seeks to perpuate liberal values that lead more of the troubles that got him in trouble in the first place, its seen as progressive?

[/quote]

When a white man says the same things he is a racist. The left does not want to face reality about many issues so they resort to racial politics and intimidation.

[quote]on edge wrote:
jawara wrote:

I get what you’re saying, but you are lying about the skiing. Not because your black (well, yeah, that is actually tough to swallow), but because you’re from Tennessee. Nobody from Tennessee skis regardless of color. You’re just plain lying.[/quote]

I was in Japan, and you just added fuel to the fire of the point I’m trying to make. Why is the idea of black people skiing hard to swallow? Does skin color dictate what sport you play? Oh, I’m not FROM Tenn. I’m from NY I live in TN because that where I’m stationed.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:
polo77j wrote:
Are you famous? Sounds to me it’s a deflection mechanism. The people you’re saying this to probably don’t want to accept reality … So, rather than actually think about what you’re saying and accept it or retort with a rational, well-thought argument they discredit any sense you make by labeling you a “sell out” effectively avoiding the conversation. Does that sound about right, Sell-Out?

No I’m just a soldier. I’ve gone thru this type of thing all my life but it really came to head on another online forum that’s full of liberals. One of them, a white chick even went as far to say that my heart is “white”. She of coarse is total pot smoking, super lefty moron that also calls all military members American terrorists.

Maybe I’m naive or whatever…but what does being liberal have to do with all of this. Are white people calling you a sellout??[/quote]

Yes. White liberals, largely because I don’t Obama.

[quote]jawara wrote:
…largely because I don’t Obama.
[/quote]

Holy shit! Obama has gotten so big he is now a verb!

[quote]malonetd wrote:
jawara wrote:
…largely because I don’t Obama.

Holy shit! Obama has gotten so big he is now a verb![/quote]

Normally I just refer to him as BO.

[quote]jawara wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:
polo77j wrote:

No I’m just a soldier. I’ve gone thru this type of thing all my life but it really came to head on another online forum that’s full of liberals. One of them, a white chick even went as far to say that my heart is “white”. She of coarse is total pot smoking, super lefty moron that also calls all military members American terrorists.

Maybe I’m naive or whatever…but what does being liberal have to do with all of this. Are white people calling you a sellout??

[/quote]

Ok…I see your angle now…wow…that’s fucked up. They did it before I got the chance…I’m joking…we disagree on things…but I would never resort to that.

[quote]jawara wrote:

[/quote]

Most of the black people I know agree that OJ did it. A lot were just happy that a high profile black man got away with murder. Literally. Maybe there’s a different feeling in other parts of the country.

As far as skiing and surfing, I don’t know what that has to do with selling out. Who ever called you that doesn’t either.

I get the point your trying to make, but these two were weak examples.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:
polo77j wrote:

Ok…I see your angle now…wow…that’s fucked up. They did it before I got the chance…I’m joking…we disagree on things…but I would never resort to that.[/quote]

Of course you wouldn’t, most people wouldn’t.

Jawara likes to forget about the millions of people who agree and disagree with him and don’t say stupid shit like the above. But then he likes to get all upset when some ‘white, pot smoking, super lefty moron, chick’ does and ignores the fact he does the same.

Here’s a tissue big J. Dry those eyes. There there.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
Black guys aren’t supposed to go skiing?! That one’s new for me.

I think most people are irresponsible and won’t be held accountable for their actions. It’s always more frustrating when you recognize it in a group you happen to be a member of.

I wouldn’t worry about the sellout label though. Regardless of what you do in life, someone, somewhere, will despise you for it and try to stick a label on you.[/quote]

snow is for white people.

der.

Well, i’m glad your above all the nonsense of white vs. black and making everything a racial issue under the guise of promoting equality. Bottom line…Anyone can ski, and nobody should have a child and leave it.

[quote]Sifu wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
jawara wrote:

[/quote]

x2

That point often comes up when I discuss the issue of race with my best friends whose parents are black and white. They’ve had a hard time finding their identity throughout middle school and high school, which is sad in my opinion.

I’m also multiracial, and have found that I do not identify with either my Asian side nor my Caucasian side. I take what I like out of White and Asian culture and forget about the stuff I think is stupid.

Jawara, I think you have to realize that you are your own person, not that you are a black person whose views are different than other black peoples views. You’ll eventually find those who accept you for who you are, and those are the people you should care about. Who cares about what other people think?