Why 35 and Over?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
We need a place where we can discuss ED, hemherroids and sore joints without the damn kids getting involved.[/quote]

What if your ED “cure” gives you sore joints?

[quote]Whisper9999 wrote:
This is true in a different sense as well: have you noticed how much differently someone who has eaten half way decently and trained looks in middle age versus someone who hasn’t? The benefits of a healthy lifestyle become exponentially more beneficial with each passing decade. An in shape 45 year old is not that drastically different from his glory days. But someone out of shape in his 40’s usually is downright scary: wrinkled skin, virtually no muscle tone, low energy, low libido, etc., etc.

I would argue that a man’s peak in terms of quality of life would be in the 40’s or 50’s as long as he’s in good physical shape if you look at the big picture…

[/quote]

I’ve noticed by a time a person hits their mid 50’s this principle applies to a person’s mental shape as well.

…ZEB, I knew I liked reading your stuff for a reason…

TEY

[quote]ZEB wrote:
oicu812many wrote:
Wow, thanks. I feel like I should buy you a drink now.

I’ll have a Molsons…[/quote]

Brilliant! And how’d you know?

TEY

[quote]Miserere wrote:
scout2 wrote:
When I was a kid an old man of 38 told me,“What you do for 5 minutes 4 times a night. I do once all night long”.

Take a pee…?[/quote]

[quote]4est wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
We need a place where we can discuss ED, hemherroids and sore joints without the damn kids getting involved.

What if your ED “cure” gives you sore joints?[/quote]

See, this proves why we have this forum…to educate ourselves…I would add glucosimine and MSM into my daily diet if my ED cure gave me sore joints.

One thing I noticed is that my Olympic lifting changed radically. I was really handling massive weights up until my mid-30s (nearly always snatching in the high 200s (130K to 140k), and Clean and Jerking “with relative ease” 363/165kilos, squatting massive weights and then…wow. Done.

Was it life? Was it kids? Was it the need for whatever? Don’t know. Certainly, it was a mix of things. My discus throw didn’t drop at all, but my lifting had to change.

In hindsight, I realize I wasn’t training as athletically as I needed. But, what do I know…

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
4est wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
We need a place where we can discuss ED, hemherroids and sore joints without the damn kids getting involved.

See, this proves why we have this forum…to educate ourselves…I would add glucosimine and MSM into my daily diet if my ED cure gave me sore joints.

[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:
One thing I noticed is that my Olympic lifting changed radically. I was really handling massive weights up until my mid-30s (nearly always snatching in the high 200s (130K to 140k), and Clean and Jerking “with relative ease” 363/165kilos, squatting massive weights and then…wow. Done.

Was it life? Was it kids? Was it the need for whatever? Don’t know. Certainly, it was a mix of things. My discus throw didn’t drop at all, but my lifting had to change.

In hindsight, I realize I wasn’t training as athletically as I needed. But, what do I know…

Rockscar wrote:
4est wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

This sounds like something you wanted to change, not something that age did to you.

I really liked lifting heavy weights. I liked it a lot. I enjoyed watching the bar bend and the fear on the faces of the spotters.

Snatching over 3 isn’t like doing a general workout. It is not like doing a bunch of pullups. It beats the shit out of you. Argue away…I concede the point, but you need better joints than I was born with to compete at a national level for more than a couple of decades. But, what the hell do I know?

I like this forum. 35 is probably just picked out of the air, but I “get it.” Again, I concede the point. I still like my chances against most here regardless of age in athletic competitons…I will also buy a few rounds after, too.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Rockscar wrote:
4est wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

This sounds like something you wanted to change, not something that age did to you.

[/quote]

35 is deffinately a point in which you’re either on the train or off. Not many people can start lifting at 40 and stay dedicated. It’s like the last stop before middle age. Back aches a little more. Joints grind a little more and all those injuries in your 20’s tend to creep up.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I really liked lifting heavy weights. I liked it a lot. I enjoyed watching the bar bend and the fear on the faces of the spotters.

Snatching over 3 isn’t like doing a general workout. It is not like doing a bunch of pullups. It beats the shit out of you. Argue away…I concede the point, but you need better joints than I was born with to compete at a national level for more than a couple of decades. But, what the hell do I know?

I like this forum. 35 is probably just picked out of the air, but I “get it.” Again, I concede the point. I still like my chances against most here regardless of age in athletic competitons…I will also buy a few rounds after, too.

ZEB wrote:
Danny John wrote:

Rockscar wrote:
4est wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

Dan,
I am a mean hopscotcher with a big thirst for expensive beer. You name the time and place and I’ll bring my chalk and pebble.

DB

[quote]oicu812many wrote:
Why does this forum exists? What is magic about the age of 35 that warrants its own forum? I am 35 now, do I need to change my ways of the earlier days?[/quote]

I don’t know if this had anything to do with why this forum was created, but 35 is the most common age which categorizes competitors as “Masters.”

I don’t think there was any specific reason for arriving at that age when Masters’ classes were created. They probably felt they had to do something because watching 23 year olds up against 50 year olds looked inappropriate. My guess is it was an arbitrary figure someone decided upon for no particular reason.

Wow, he looks awesome!!!

[quote]TheSicilian wrote:
Wow, he looks awesome!!![/quote]

Lou Messina

I wondered the same thing myself. I’ll turn 50 soon. I didn’t start lifting until I was 36. 35 is nothing. I didn’t start noticing small problems until maybe 12-18 months ago. In my case sight began to get worse and when I get busted up it hurts worse and takes longer to heal. Because of my job I move and travel alot and I only get to workout off and on. 6 months at one time is the longes I have ever worked out. Barring any unforseen problems if take good care of yourself, eat right, workout you should be able to keep that old crap that everybody is afraid of at bay. Hang in there dude, 35 is nothing.

“The older I get, the better I was.”

Well 35 is the age bodybuilders become masters but most other sports it is 40. In fact when senior games came to Austin Tx they had to reconcile 40 to 49 group since theirs starts at 50.

That said as you age you do train different, you can train harder. Listen up you young’uns. We still get stronger and lift heavy. My training partner is 38 and is discovering the truth of this. Hey, today I benched 400lbs for the first time, and this at age 55 and passing gas while pushing the bar up.

We are redefining aging and for the better. People can be productive, and enjoy life a lot longer than our parents and grand parents did.

Face it we do get older, wiser, and a lot better looking.