Whose House?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The man won an Oscar[/quote]

So?

Do you consider Tom Hanks a brave soldier?

Nobel “peace” prize.

That’s the same one Kissinger (one of the architects of the Vietnam war that claimed millions) got.

That’s the same one Ghandi never got.

I maintain that BB is building up strawmen and knocking them down.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
The man won an Oscar

So?

Do you consider Tom Hanks a brave soldier?
[/quote]

I consider him a brilliant actor. Since Gore is not an actor, nor was his film remarkable the award was given for his environmentalism.

Arafat got one too. I am well aware of the shortcomings yet these awards are highly respected by countless millions of people.

[quote]
I maintain that BB is building up strawmen and knocking them down.[/quote]

Hardly.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Oh, I think quite a few folks still give him credence.

And he is also a symbol of the high-profile environmentalists, jetting around in private jets while lecturing us on light bulbs…[/quote]

Yes, but folks on T-Nation?

I’ve yet to hear a real defense for him on this forum… ever…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
The man won an Oscar and Nobel prize. He has a bit of credibility to someone.[/quote]

I’m sorry, Zap, but anyone who still thinks Gore has credibility at this point is so far up his ass they’re not going to have their mind changed by the stats on his house.

It’s true – Al Gore is a hypocrite when it comes to the environment. You need not stop at describing the wastefulness of the mansion he lives in. He has turned himself into a poster boy for the environmental movement – but his actual story in the house, senate, and vice presidency is one of croneyism, corruption, and doubletalk when it comes to the environment. His very poor environmental voting record consisted of betrayal after betrayal of spoken promises and selling his soul to concentrated power and business interests.

Sadly, Obama’s story is very similar. He speaks of dreams and hope, but his story is one of degradation of principal. For example, he once supported single payer health-care, but over the years, his views degraded until this “dream” fell by the wayside. His plan preserves the central role of providing profit for insurance companies. In this vein, he has supported increasing subsidies for energy companies (which is already the most heavily subsidized industry and raking in record profits), as well as supporting legislation making it harder to file class action lawsuits. Asa “progressive” candidate, he has no excuse for this.

And Al Gore has no excuse either.

Like it or not, part of any movement requires appeals to the masses… as that is where the work gets done.

Unfortunately, nobody listens to the poor people with no influence!

This leaves us in the sorry state of having rich people lecture poor people on how to live within their (monetary, environmental, etc) means.

In any case, the actions of the person tell a tale about his or her character, and nothing about the character of the issues being discussed.