T Nation

Whose House?

House #1: A 20 room mansion ( not including 8 bathrooms ) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool ( and a pool house) and a separate guest house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more energy than the average American household does in a year. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400. In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not situated in a Northern or Midwestern ‘snow belt’ area. It’s in the South.

House #2: Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university. This house incorporates every ‘green’ feature current home construction can provide. The house is 4,000 square feet ( 4 bedrooms ) and is nestled on a high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat-pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F.) heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas and it consumes one-quarter electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Surrounding flowers and shrubs native to the area enable the property to blend into the surrounding rural landscape.

Guess who owns which house…

Just in case you wanted to check the answer:

Whose house?

RUN’S HOUSE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJTREb_jWc

Under the word Hypocrite in the dictionary, is a picture of owl gore. Under the word, dirty-stinkin’-whore is a picture of Tipper.

Is the stuff about Gore’s house before or after all the environmental upgrades?

So “green” living is good enough for Bush, but not for the rest of us? Who’s the hypocrite?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
So “green” living is good enough for Bush, but not for the rest of us? Who’s the hypocrite? [/quote]

Gore. Bush isn’t stopping you from making “green” choices.

I’m sure the water reusing has everything to do with global warming and nothing to do with the scarcity of water in Texas -_-.

Gore is an asshole, but Bush isn’t an environmental saint.

I dunno - RJ, does your house recycle water?

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
I dunno - RJ, does your house recycle water?[/quote]

I know in a few of the desert cities in San Bernadino County (SoCal), they utilize water recycling.

I dunno - RJ, does your house recycle water?[/quote]

Is RJ’s house the size of Bush’s? And does he have the same money to spend on it?

I fail to see the point.

[quote]lixy wrote:
I fail to see the point.[/quote]

He’s informing the three or four people who still think Gore is awesome that he sucks.

[quote]
BostonBarrister wrote:

malonetd wrote:
I know in a few of the desert cities in San Bernadino County (SoCal), they utilize water recycling.[/quote]

I’m sure they do - but does it tend to be an individual homeowner choice?

[quote]
BostonBarrister wrote:

Beowolf wrote:
Is RJ’s house the size of Bush’s? And does he have the same money to spend on it?[/quote]

That matters to the comparison how?

Firstly, the comparison is between supposed environmental saint Al Gore to supposed environmental villain W.

Secondly, your statement implies the cause of W’s environmental improvements to his house was either solely or mostly the local scarcity of water, so it makes sense to see whether other homeowners in similarly situated areas make the same choices, or whether there were other causes.

Thirdly, if you really wanted to compare economics with RJ or other TX residents, you’d look at how much W could save as a percentage of his income, and how much the costs of the environmental improvements were as a percentage of his income, versus the same numbers for a similarly situated homeowner.

Lastly, you might note that easter Tennessee is in the throes of a serious multi-year drought…

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
lixy wrote:
I fail to see the point.

He’s informing the three or four people who still think Gore is awesome that he sucks.[/quote]

Who are they?

It’s a serious question. I don’t think anyone grants Gore any sort of credibility around here. BB’s building up arguments in his own head apparently.

[quote]lixy wrote:
It’s a serious question. I don’t think anyone grants Gore any sort of credibility around here. [/quote]

True enough. However, there is some measure of satisfaction in acknowledging that most environmentalists are, in similar fashion, obnoxious hypocrits - isn’t there?

[quote]lixy wrote:

Who are they?

It’s a serious question. I don’t think anyone grants Gore any sort of credibility around here. BB’s building up arguments in his own head apparently.[/quote]

Oh, I think quite a few folks still give him credence.

And he is also a symbol of the high-profile environmentalists, jetting around in private jets while lecturing us on light bulbs…

[quote]lixy wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
lixy wrote:
I fail to see the point.

He’s informing the three or four people who still think Gore is awesome that he sucks.

Who are they?

It’s a serious question. I don’t think anyone grants Gore any sort of credibility around here. BB’s building up arguments in his own head apparently.[/quote]

The man won an Oscar and Nobel prize. He has a bit of credibility to someone.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
True enough. However, there is some measure of satisfaction in acknowledging that most environmentalists are, in similar fashion, obnoxious hypocrits - isn’t there? [/quote]

I’m not sure about that. I know my fair share of hardcore environmentalists who built their houses from landfill scraped up material, are completely off-the-grid electricity-wise, grow their own food, only shop at eco-friendly farmer’s market, etc. Those are the only people I’ve ever heard the label being slammed on around here.

Environmentalism isn’t about self-proclamation. It’s something you let others tell you.

I may be wrong, but it appears to me that the “American way of life” does not lend itself easily to an eco-friendly lifestyle, regardless of the degree we talk about. From the bits and pieces I’ve seen of New-York and Maryland, it seems to me that it’s about giant portions, muscle cars, giant buildings and excessive consumerism. So your observation might be right if you restrict the domain to the USA. Seriously, where else would talk of carbon footprint reduction and fuel economy be tagged unpatriotic?

lixy wrote:

Who are they?

It’s a serious question. I don’t think anyone grants Gore any sort of credibility around here. BB’s building up arguments in his own head apparently.

Oh, I think quite a few folks still give him credence. [/quote]

Not here, BB. Not on this forum.