Who's Your Favorite 20th Century US President?

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

photos.
[/quote]
Sorry can’t paste pics without phone

If I remember correctly, had JFK not been assassinated he would have kept us out of Vietnam for the most part? I think he only wanted to do special forces operations.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]LarryH wrote:
If I remember correctly, had JFK not been assassinated he would have kept us out of Vietnam for the most part? I think he only wanted to do special forces operations. [/quote]

It’s tough to say he wanted us out of Vietnam when he’s the one that put us in.[/quote]

Very true.

However, he did sign NSAM 263 in October, before his assassination. It’s not a stretch to think that he wouldn’t have put us balls deep, as Old Lyndon did.

It’s tough to say though. He said different things to different people.

I actually think Tricky Dick did a better job than most. And he was forced to resign for a wire tapping scandal that PALES in comparison to what is going on today. He is remembered for Watergate, but in reality, he led a very admirable life with humble beginnings and showed a resolve and political endurance and perseverance that I admire. He was a very smart guy and made a lot of tough decisions. Not all perfect ones in hindsight of course, but he moved the country in a positive direction with many of his policies.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]LarryH wrote:
If I remember correctly, had JFK not been assassinated he would have kept us out of Vietnam for the most part? I think he only wanted to do special forces operations. [/quote]

It’s tough to say he wanted us out of Vietnam when he’s the one that put us in.[/quote]

Very true.

However, he did sign NSAM 263 in October, before his assassination. It’s not a stretch to think that he wouldn’t have put us balls deep, as Old Lyndon did.

It’s tough to say though. He said different things to different people.[/quote]

Let’s not forget that it was the philandering, child molesting gangster who was the leading US proponent of what Americans call special forces(in the rest of the world special forces are any highly trained light infantry.) JFK used them to ‘train’ Cuban peasants with disastrous results. He then advocated their wide scale use in Indo China despite the contrary advice of the vast majority of the military. They knew the North were training large scale conventional forces armed with the best Commie weapons and relative immunity to the jungles that caused the yanks huge casualties from dysentry, cholera, malaria etc. The child molesting gangster should have learned his lesson from the frogs and Dien Bien Phu.

Special forces can be excellent tools to act as ‘force multipliers’ - i.e. 12 special forces training 400 locals how to fight. However when the ‘locals’ are Salafist Sheiks or out for US money for handing over ‘Taliban’ and ‘keeping the peace’, ‘manning checkpoints’ etc things don’t work out as our enlightened leaders hope.

@Push I haven’t forgotten our discussion above. I’ve been in great pain and not able to study effectively.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I actually think Tricky Dick did a better job than most. And he was forced to resign for a wire tapping scandal that PALES in comparison to what is going on today. He is remembered for Watergate, but in reality, he led a very admirable life with humble beginnings and showed a resolve and political endurance and perseverance that I admire. He was a very smart guy and made a lot of tough decisions. Not all perfect ones in hindsight of course, but he moved the country in a positive direction with many of his policies. [/quote]

Good post.