Who's the Strongest American?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
KBCThird please don’t insult me. You’re hurting my feelings.

You’re a troll. You deserve everything you get.

And by the way, bullshit on a guy squatting 4.5x bodyweight for 2 reps raw.

And WTF… Reza isn’t even the strongest weightlifter alive at the moment, so get your facts straight.[/quote]

Careful Hanley, I think he has a borderline personality

How is no one mentioning Brian Siders? By far the best powerlifter in the world and he also competes at a very high level in strongman. If you are just going by strongman accomplishments only I can see how he doesn’t make it, but throw PL in there and he is on top.

Phil Phister did win WSM either in 07 or 06, I can’t remember which one so that is pretty recent.

Kaz is the only man to win both IPF world title and WSM title to my knowledge so that is pretty studly.

I personally haven’t seen all WSM episodes, but from most of what I have seen, Pudzianowski is the most dominant.

…Mark Felix is a better deadlifter than Mariusz in my opinion.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
And by the way, bullshit on a guy squatting 4.5x bodyweight for 2 reps raw.[/quote]

Hahahah! In your motherfucking face!

You obviously haven’t gotten out of the “powerlifting box”. Have you heard of oly lifters recently? Rezazadeh’s 700+ front squat? Are you fucking kidding me??

Reza, Taranenko, Zakharevitch, and all the other world record holders in weightlifting will make Karwoski or any other legit squatters in any PL organization look like fucking midget among drwarves.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
How is no one mentioning Brian Siders? By far the best powerlifter in the world and he also competes at a very high level in strongman. If you are just going by strongman accomplishments only I can see how he doesn’t make it, but throw PL in there and he is on top.
[/quote]

Brian Siders is definitely up there. He has a monster press/overhead, deadlift, squat, and he’s even good at running events like the yoke. I would love to see him dominate the IPF again. Sadly, due to his build, I doubt he’ll ever win WSM. He’s not tall enough for events like Fingal Fingers, toss for height, etc. His arms are too short for stones, keg/sandbag carries, etc. Placing bottom in one event at that level pretty much excludes you from the podium.

OP - Poundstone picture came from here: http://ambesc.com/gallery2

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Hanley wrote:

You obviously haven’t gotten out of the “powerlifting box”. Have you heard of oly lifters recently? Rezazadeh’s 700+ front squat? Are you fucking kidding me??

Reza, Taranenko, Zakharevitch, and all the other world record holders in weightlifting will make Karwoski or any other legit squatters in any PL organization look like fucking midget among drwarves.[/quote]

Are you retarded? First off, Aranda was a 77kilo lifter meaning he probably weighed 82kg or more. Even if he WAS 77kg, that is STILL only 3.5 times bodyweight, NOT 4.5 times.

Secondly, Reza has never even come close to a 700lb front squat, his best on record is just over 600.

Thirdly, the wool over your eyes is making you blind.

hahaha I love the great reading comprehension in this thread. Who is the strongest AMERICAN and you get a bunch of answers of foreigner…

Depends on what you consider strongest. If your going by best American Strongman I don’t think anyone can argue against Poundstone. With Phifster, Ortameyer, Ostlund also able to podium at any event. Nee is very strong but has had bicep injuries the last two years. Once healed up he is always a force. Brian Shaw looks to be the next American to make the jump to being one of the elite.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Reza, Taranenko, Zakharevitch, and all the other world record holders in weightlifting will make Karwoski or any other legit squatters in any PL organization look like fucking midget among drwarves.

Are you retarded? First off, Aranda was a 77kilo lifter meaning he probably weighed 82kg or more. Even if he WAS 77kg, that is STILL only 3.5 times bodyweight, NOT 4.5 times.

Secondly, Reza has never even come close to a 700lb front squat, his best on record is just over 600.

[/quote]

Even though you insulted me, your post still isn’t as mean as what the other guy said. For that, thank you.

Anyway, as far Reza’s front squat, it is common knowledge among weightlifters that a person’s front squat is approximately 129% to 137% of one’s clean and jerk. Since Reza’s clean and jerk is 580+, he should be able to front squat atleast 700, not just from my estimations, but with wikipedia too…

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Reza, Taranenko, Zakharevitch, and all the other world record holders in weightlifting will make Karwoski or any other legit squatters in any PL organization look like fucking midget among drwarves.[/quote]

Math skills aren’t a strong point are they?

290/77 = 3.76x bodyweight
He’s done 310x2 as well afaik, which is 4x bodyweight.

Both substantially less than 4.5x bodyweight.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
threewhitelights wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Even though you insulted me, your post still isn’t as mean as what the other guy said. For that, thank you.

Anyway, as far Reza’s front squat, it is common knowledge among weightlifters that a person’s front squat is approximately 129% to 137% of one’s clean and jerk. Since Reza’s clean and jerk is 580+, he should be able to front squat atleast 700, not just from my estimations, but with wikipedia too…[/quote]

Tell that to Vasily Alexeev.

But if wikipedia say it, it must be true.

Vasily is a freak. You can’t base things on him really…

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Vasily is a freak. You can’t base things on him really…[/quote]

Aren’t all top level weightlifters freaks?

Yes, you’re right about that.

As far as Vasily’s case, he’s one in a million. MOST weightlifters front squat more than they can clean.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:

As far as Vasily’s case, he’s one in a million. MOST weightlifters front squat more than they can clean.[/quote]

Do you think Reza’s on a similar level of freakiness?

How did this thread get so off topic?

The real question is, you talking strongest American of all time, or currently?

All time? Hard to go against Kaz. Still don’t know if we’ve seen another with his strength, altheticisim and intensity yet.

Current? How can you not say Poundstone without question. I hate saying that, but he’s on a roll right now.

I did see Shaw recently however, and he’s fixed some of his weak points. The next two years should bring big things for him.

Monopoly

[quote]Hanley wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:

As far as Vasily’s case, he’s one in a million. MOST weightlifters front squat more than they can clean.

Do you think Reza’s on a similar level of freakiness?[/quote]

Any 500+ clean and jerker is a freak.

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Hanley wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:

Do you think Reza’s on a similar level of freakiness?

Any 500+ clean and jerker is a freak.[/quote]

So if he’s a freak, and vasily’s freak, and you can’t draw comparisons when considering freaks, why does Reza have to front squat 700lb?

Now please, back on topic.

If Mark Henry actually had enough sense to do something better than fake wrestling (*cough powerlifting and weightlifting) and trained seriously for it, he’d make Bill Kazmaier look like a chihuahuah among english mastiffs.

Also, you can’t discount Ed Coan’s 550x2 pendlay row!

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
If Mark Henry actually had enough sense to do something better than fake wrestling (*cough powerlifting and weightlifting)[/quote]

You mean if he had enough sense to NOT make some serious money and make a decent living with his talents?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
If Mark Henry actually had enough sense to do something better than fake wrestling (*cough powerlifting and weightlifting)

You mean if he had enough sense to NOT make some serious money and make a decent living with his talents?[/quote]

…Okay MaloneTD, you got me with that one. You have better logic than me.