T Nation

Who's Right, Me or My Idiot Friend?

Me and my buddy have been arguing about this for days (he is the idiot by the way):

Water at 15*C flows at 0.15m/s over a flat plate 1m long in the direction of the flow and 0.3cm wide. If the energy is transferred from the top and bottom surfaces of the plate to the flowing stream at a steady rate of 3500 Watts, what is the temperature of the plate surface?

The real question is, by the time we figure this out, who will have a bigger bench?

/This madness

[quote]smithers584 wrote:
Me and my buddy have been arguing about this for days (he is the idiot by the way):

Water at 15*C flows at 0.15m/s over a flat plate 1m long in the direction of the flow and 0.3cm wide. If the energy is transferred from the top and bottom surfaces of the plate to the flowing stream at a steady rate of 3500 Watts, what is the temperature of the plate surface?

The real question is, by the time we figure this out, who will have a bigger bench?[/quote]

First of all, you need to specify the material that the “plate” is made out of and its thermal conductivity in terms of watts/meter*kelven because watts alone is not a rate. 1m X 0.3cm is barely a plate, more a strip, almost a wire. With the numbers you gave, im getting a small reynolds number, we’ll assume its laminar. And I assume you mean that this is in a controlled envinronment with steady-state conditions? you’re also going to have to specify where along the “plate” the temperature is to be determined, unless you want the temperature gradient expressed as a function of the length(meters) along the plate.

In response to the OP, who clearly has no bias in asking his question:

I would guess that the person who is training with full ROM may be limited in his or her weight by the weight at the bottom of the motion, so the clone who is lifting with only partial ROM has a chance of being able to raise the weight in training more quickly and lift more in the competition. Also the person lifting with full ROM might have trained different muscles (lats) to help accelerate the bar through the middle of the motion, which would not transfer to the partial ROM competition.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

First of all, you need to specify the material that the “plate” is made out of and its thermal conductivity in terms of watts/meter*kelven because watts alone is not a rate.[/quote]

A Watt is most definately a rate, its a J/sec (measures energy transfer). And the thermal conductivity of the plate does not need to be given. (Trust me, this was homework I just did).

Yes, it is laminar, Re < 500,000.

Yes, SS conditions, forgot to mention that. No specification on where along the plate.

Now we have a real problem! Nothing will kill this thread faster than some Transport Phenomena.

BTW, are you a Chem E Carbiduis?

Depends, who are the clones of? Is clone #2 the clone of clone #1? Vice Versa? If this is the case the clone of the clone isn’t of mental capacity to make any decisions since everyone knows a copy of a copy is a little more dim than the orginal copy.

Since both subjects are clones I’d assume neither are correct in their premise. We can only come to a sound conclusion if we are given the orgin of the clones and allowed to assess his or her level of intelligence. I’m guessing he or she is a dummy…

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Depends, who are the clones of? Is clone #2 the clone of clone #1? Vice Versa? If this is the case the clone of the clone isn’t of mental capacity to make any decisions since everyone knows a copy of a copy is a little more dim than the orginal copy.

Since both subjects are clones I’d assume neither are correct in their premise. We can only come to a sound conclusion if we are given the orgin of the clones and allowed to assess his or her level of intelligence. I’m guessing he or she is a dummy…[/quote]
x2 Polo is a clone, so he knows

Andrew is the clone of my clone…

andrew would bone his clone

Kerley wants an MMM with the clones!

Why does it always turn gay when you enter the thread, you started off strong with the pix then you went down hill from there. It’s like your a pubescant lil boy trapped in a womans body.

andrews man crush on me has grown so much its turned into bitter resentment, i feel sorry for him now.

Look at us argung again! This is soo “US”.

^

For the ability to turn any thread into ours, let’s keep the trend alive.

:wink:

:slight_smile:

The guy doing the half reps will win because he is using heavier weight in training which will get him ready for the half rep competition. If the testing was with full range of motion, the guy training with full range would win.

I apologize for being a spoil sport with a serious reply. I just don’t know how to fit in.

[quote]on edge wrote:

I apologize for being a spoil sport with a serious reply. I just don’t know how to fit in.[/quote]

Ya you really don’t. But it’s cool we can teach you. The trick is, if you can’t find anything clever or funny to say, just insult kerley by reminding him how gay he is. 60% of the time it works everytime!

[quote]smithers584 wrote:

Yes, it is laminar, Re < 500,000.

[/quote]

Flow is laminar for a Newtonian fluid if the Re is less than 2000 to 4000 approximately. I think. I’m better with concepts than exact figures.