T Nation

Who's Actually IF

I would add that currently I am experimenting with a fast day on (Mondays) on top of my usual 20/4 IF routine. I feel this really compensates for the previous weekend where I tend to eat more albeit still quality food. I also train legs on Mondays and ingest BCAAS, whey, and creatine only, amounting roughly to 300kcals for the day. Again no negative energy results. The biggest issue I’ve always had with such a ‘48 hour fast’ is the sleep quality.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
I would add that currently I am experimenting with a fast day on (Mondays) on top of my usual 20/4 IF routine. I feel this really compensates for the previous weekend where I tend to eat more albeit still quality food. I also train legs on Mondays and ingest BCAAS, whey, and creatine only, amounting roughly to 300kcals for the day. Again no negative energy results. The biggest issue I’ve always had with such a ‘48 hour fast’ is the sleep quality. [/quote]

Meaning a negative influence of fasting on sleep quality? I’ve always been a poor sleeper so I’m not sure IF has changed that much for me, with the exception of poor sleep if I end my feast too close to bed.

I feel like I need less sleep overall compared to when I was eating at traditional meal times.

I think the lack of digestive energy being expended has a lot to do with it.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:

My final observation is one regarding energy input/output. If you are lulled into thinking it’s fine to eat double maintenance in a 4-hour window following a 20-hour fast and not get fat then you’re dreaming. It still requires thought, planning and dedication. [/quote]

^^^
That.

Otherwise, the fat loss is a walk in the park. Trying to gain lean tissue is a bit harder.
However, on the other hand all the gains are clean (almost fat free). I’ve been on modified IF for the past 9 month. I call it “The Ridiculously Simple IF” (this is most likely the variation of the Warrior Diet but, with no ‘snacking’ during the fast and lengthier fasting periods).

I eat once every 24h and try to have 48-72h fast once every couple of weeks. I don’t take any supliments. Train fasted and try to get all my food down at once right before going to bed. The macros are fat biased. Yah, this might not be the MOST EFFECTIVE approach for the muscle gain but, it is simple as hell and is giving me much better results than anything I’ve tried before. Made my life completely stress free as it is much easier for me not to eat than to eat and have a proper large meal instead of idiotic ‘snacking’ fidgeting and half assed portions. Plus I have the energy to drive me through the roof during the fasted state. The key is to realize that this does not give you carte blanche to overeat during the refeed.

w.r.t sleep quality: yes the sleep becomes much more shallow. Apparently if one is to continue the fast past 72h the sleep normalizes again. I have not tried that. during the second night of fasted sleep I probably get around 3h of sleep. If one is into the single bf digits and is into extended fast, the body cannot rise sugar level using cortisol alone and will give you a nice adrenaline kick around 4 - 5am to break the adipose tissue down. That’s quite a rush :). Definitely no going back to sleep after that…